Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:33 PM   #1
gitrjnke
macrumors newbie

Creating Snow Leopard 10.6.8 install disk possible?

Hey,

I know that creating a disk for Lion is possible, and I don't want to upgrade because a lot of my programs I heard were unstable to be running on Lion.

So what my issue is, is that I do NOT have an install disk for my snow leopard 6.8. I've been on the phone with apple and they said that I cannot "create" an install disk and I think that that's rubbish. making a windows one is simple, so there has got to be a way to create a mac install disk, right? I don't want to spend the $20 on a new install disk when I already have a legit copy of my Snow Leopard. the only problem is I don't have the knowledge to know how to create one.

I have to reinstall my OS X for a wipe/restore my hard drive to create a partition for bootcamp, i'm getting the dreaded "files cannot be moved" message.

so, does anyone know how to go about "creating" a disk from scratch or .ISO ?? I really do not want to pirate it even though that might be the easiest way to do it.

Thanks!
gitrjnke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrjnke View Post
I don't want to spend the $20 on a new install disk when I already have a legit copy of my Snow Leopard.
All legit copies of Snow Leopard come from the appropriate DVDs. Use your Snow Leopard DVD for the installation of Snow Leopard. Then use the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. Very easy.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:56 AM   #3
gitrjnke
macrumors newbie

I don't have the disk. When I was sold the Mac, they guy did not provide a disk, but I had apple care so I know it was a legitimate copy. So there is no way to create a disk?
gitrjnke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:31 AM   #4
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrjnke View Post
I don't have the disk. When I was sold the Mac, they guy did not provide a disk, but I had apple care so I know it was a legitimate copy. So there is no way to create a disk?
On Snow Leopard and earlier, the disk IS the licence. No disk, no licence to use OS X.
Either the guy who sold you the Mac is still using the disk for himself, so your copy is unlicensed, because you are not him; or at best, you have a legitimate installation but have "lost" the disk.

You can certainly make a duplicate of your system on another media, like an external hard drive; but there's no way to magic the installer out of the files it installed.
Programs like CarbonCopyCloner, SuperDuper, or even Apple's Disk Utility can be used to duplicate systems.

As of Lion, the internal drive contains a Recovery Partition, which you can boot to and reinstall the OS, downloading the latest version over the internet. Machines introduced since Lion also have a similar installer in Firmware, so that you can reinstall onto a drive without a Recovery Partition.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X