Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1
d4m1r
macrumors regular

Exclamation App to show dialed number?

Hey guys, I am looking for an app that shows the number anyone that is currently calling me dialed....The reason is my phone is assigned 2 numbers, one is for personal use and the other is for business. I'd like to know which number the current person calling me dialed. Prefferably it would work without wifi/3g connectivity, but if it needs either of those, that is fine too.

Does anyone know if such an app exists?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 PM   #2
d4m1r
macrumors regular

FYI I was not able to find anything like this available anywhere so I don't believe it currently exists
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:14 AM   #3
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Set dial tones for all your personal contacts, any one that doesn't ring the specific tone it's business. Not ideal but do-able.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:07 AM   #4
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
Hey guys, I am looking for an app that shows the number anyone that is currently calling me dialed....The reason is my phone is assigned 2 numbers, one is for personal use and the other is for business.
Unfortunately, there's no app that can do that because it's not something that an app CAN do. The feature you're asking for is called DNIS and it's a service that must be provided by your carrier. Most cell companies don't offer it. It's something landline and VoIP companies provide for PBXes and large installations.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:06 AM   #5
d4m1r
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Unfortunately, there's no app that can do that because it's not something that an app CAN do. The feature you're asking for is called DNIS and it's a service that must be provided by your carrier. Most cell companies don't offer it. It's something landline and VoIP companies provide for PBXes and large installations.
Wow, thank you so much! Exactly what I was looking for....I knew it would have to be based on the underlying telephony technology but I didn't know the name....With it, I can now atleast contact my provider and ask if its something they offer Thanks again!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:38 PM   #6
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

No prob. Which carrier are you with?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7
d4m1r
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
No prob. Which carrier are you with?
Virgin Mobile in Canada who are a reseller of Bell...Would you have any idea if they offer it as an addon?

In fact, is it common at all for any wireless cell provider to offer or even possible? After going a bit of research, it is mainly something that applies to landlines and VOIP appearently
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:35 AM   #8
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

[QUOTE=d4m1r;16544005]Virgin Mobile in Canada who are a reseller of Bell...Would you have any idea if they offer it as an addon?/[quote]

I highly doubt Virgin Mobile would offer it, if any cell carrier even does. Virgin is pretty much going after the budget and prepaid markets.

Quote:
In fact, is it common at all for any wireless cell provider to offer or even possible? After going a bit of research, it is mainly something that applies to landlines and VOIP appearently
Pretty much.

You may want to look at getting a VoIP line that offers an iPhone app. Chances are, you'll get some distinction that way as to who called what number.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:44 AM   #9
FixBrokeni
macrumors member

I've used OpenVBX and Twilio in the past, and assigned my Twilio number to show when it's calling me. The only downfall with this is that you can't see who the caller is! I highly recommend the service though, it sounds like exactly what you need.
FixBrokeni is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone