Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PastorJeff

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Just installed my white Lifeproof, and it seems very nice. No sound issues and the rainbow effect is in one spot that isn't noticeable while the screen is on. It passed the water test.

Number = 107xxx

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Just installed my white Lifeproof, and it seems very nice. No sound issues and the rainbow effect is in one spot that isn't noticeable while the screen is on. It passed the water test.

Number = 107xxx

That's awesome. Wow only number 100xxx. People have gotten a hold of 200+ maybe yours was an older one before they released the one with the black pad?

PastorJeff

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Oops I thought you were the other guy that got the "4th gen" thanks for confirming that though. I still have yet to find that version in my local bb stores

No prob...lol
I had to go through about 40 white versions to find the highest number my local BB had....it seemed to payoff

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Ok so I have gone through about 8 different cases, and have seen 3 different versions. Well today for the hell of it I went to BB to see if LF has sent out a need model, and low and behold another version. The last one I got that has the foam on the back side below the apple logo. This one did fix the speaker vibration and the issues with people hearing there echo on speaker. Sometimes I would get the proximity sensor issue but not a lot, also the pill owing affect due to the foam at the top of the front. Well the one I picked up today is a little different, where the foam below the apple logo it has 2 plastic pieces, where the foam was white is now black and seems a little skinner. On the front there is no longer the foam piece at the top, there little foam pieces inside corners and sides, also the plastic on the home button is skinner. I will link the pictures. I currently am doing the water test and will give some feed back once I try out this version of the case.

So I have tested the case and it passed the water test. I have played all types of music and no busted speaker sound. I have spoke on the phone and so far no annoying buzzing sound or vibrating, also spoke with speaker phone and no issues there either. I tried many times to take the phone away from my face and back to test the proximity sensor and no issues so far. The only small issue that I have found and only because OCD is there is a little bit of air towards the bottom, but I am hope that it will settle out after a week or so. The # on the case is 193xxx. Will follow back up after a few days. My last case was ok at first but then the screen started to get the pillow effect worse and I started to not be able to hit the end button that case # was 111xxx

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Ok so I have gone through about 8 different cases, and have seen 3 different versions. Well today for the hell of it I went to BB to see if LF has sent out a need model, and low and behold another version. The last one I got that has the foam on the back side below the apple logo. This one did fix the speaker vibration and the issues with people hearing there echo on speaker. Sometimes I would get the proximity sensor issue but not a lot, also the pill owing affect due to the foam at the top of the front. Well the one I picked up today is a little different, where the foam below the apple logo it has 2 plastic pieces, where the foam was white is now black and seems a little skinner. On the front there is no longer the foam piece at the top, there little foam pieces inside corners and sides, also the plastic on the home button is skinner. I will link the pictures. I currently am doing the water test and will give some feed back once I try out this version of the case.

Very Nice, are those little bumps a soft rubber material?

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
So I have tested the case and it passed the water test. I have played all types of music and no busted speaker sound. I have spoke on the phone and so far no annoying buzzing sound or vibrating, also spoke with speaker phone and no issues there either. I tried many times to take the phone away from my face and back to test the proximity sensor and no issues so far. The only small issue that I have found and only because OCD is there is a little bit of air towards the bottom, but I am hope that it will settle out after a week or so. The # on the case is 193xxx. Will follow back up after a few days. My last case was ok at first but then the screen started to get the pillow effect worse and I started to not be able to hit the end button that case # was 111xxx

Interesting, I have a black case in the 220xxx range and I still have the full rubber on the top front of the case and the big rubber pad on the back. Though you have a lower numbered case and seem to have a different case than me

Last edited:

PastorJeff

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Well kinda weird, but last night the sound was great.....this morning not so much.
It must have had a bad night. It is now vibrating when playing music and sounds like it is in a toilet

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Interesting, I have a black case in the 220xxx range and I still have the full rubber on the top front of the
case and the big rubber pad on the back.
Though you have a lower numbered case and seem to have a different case than me

have seen the 200xxx with the foam piece. It's weird how these version are coming out. I usually open the box before I buy so I can what I am getting.

----------

That should do wonders to the finish of the black iPhone 5's :rolleyes:

Yea I'm going to check today to see if there are any scratches, but the phone doesn't move inside so it shouldn't scratch.

danibug23

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Does anybody else case get lint and etc underneath that wasn't there before??? It's bugging the crap out of me!

setty7

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
guys my girl friend is thinking about purchasing a LP fre case. What should we look for when it comes in to make sure we recieved the most up to date model? Also do the numbers yall speak of mean anything? I saw where some had lower numbers with no problems and some had higher numbers with problems?

Or should we purchase another case? If so who makes one the same size and can be put in water etc?

AllAmerican

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I use my ip5 at the gym, running, and biking. I read all of the negative stuff about the LP case on here, but after not finding a case I liked, I said screw it and took the dive. I got it at Best Buy last week and this is what I've experienced. I first had a 157,xxx case which had a really bad screen protector. Pillowing at the top and bottom, hard to register swipes, ect...I exchanged it for a 156,xxx next day after trying it on in store.(I may have also kept an extra headphone jack cover by accident);) This one works pretty well. No speaker problems, doesn't leak, proximity sensor works fine, and very minimal screen problems except you have to tap slightly harder for the very corners at the top of the screen. What people have to remember is this thing makes your phone a lot more worry free. I'll trade off some screen feedback for water and shock protection. Also the screen makes gunk and grease fingerprints much easier to get rid of. Washing it off in the sink whenever is freakin' awesome! In my opinion every case seems to be of varying quality so trying it on first is a must. Overall I'll give it an 8/10 for now

Last edited:

Wildwillis

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
It is not there.

Long time 'lurker' on the site here. Never created an account because I was always able to find answers to my questions after searching I guess...

Cubano21 - thanks for all the detailed info and pics so far. They've been really helpful! I'm on my third case so far - started with a "Gen 2," returned it but got another Gen 2 (since the sales rep at Best Buy told me I couldn't open the case first), and returned it again for a Gen 3 (this time they let me check it first).

I've been a bit happier with the latest one. I moved the grey pad that was below the Apple logo window down about an inch and was able to pretty much eliminate the annoying vibration when using the speakers. Screen protector seems a little more flush, but I've had a few instances where the proximity sensor doesn’t work and the screen stays blank when trying to end a call. My biggest complaint is how difficult it is to register touches at the very top of the screen due to the foam raising the screen protector.

I’m very interested to hear more about how your new “Gen 4” case is working out since that foam is now gone and replaced by the foam on the top corners. Is the screen protector now staying more flush at the top of the screen? Any proximity sensor issues so far?

Thanks again for all your detailed info. You’re basically responsible for me finally registering on the forum!

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Are you having any of the problems with this latest case?
Did you check the phone and see is the plastic pads are affecting the finish at all?

I might have to go look for a 200,000 version myself. :eek:

No scratches, but I have a little bit of pillowing affect towards the bottom. Hopefully it will go away in a couple of weeks.

----------

Long time 'lurker' on the site here. Never created an account because I was always able to find answers to my questions after searching I guess...

Cubano21 - thanks for all the detailed info and pics so far. They've been really helpful! I'm on my third case so far - started with a "Gen 2," returned it but got another Gen 2 (since the sales rep at Best Buy told me I couldn't open the case first), and returned it again for a Gen 3 (this time they let me check it first).

I've been a bit happier with the latest one. I moved the grey pad that was below the Apple logo window down about an inch and was able to pretty much eliminate the annoying vibration when using the speakers. Screen protector seems a little more flush, but I've had a few instances where the proximity sensor doesn’t work and the screen stays blank when trying to end a call. My biggest complaint is how difficult it is to register touches at the very top of the screen due to the foam raising the screen protector.

I’m very interested to hear more about how your new “Gen 4” case is working out since that foam is now gone and replaced by the foam on the top corners. Is the screen protector now staying more flush at the top of the screen? Any proximity sensor issues so far?

Thanks again for all your detailed info. You’re basically responsible for me finally registering on the forum!

Thanks for the kind words. No issues what so ever with the proximity sensor now. The top is more flush so you can easliy press the top of the screen with little effort to scroll to the top of the page. So far this is the best case I have used, my only gripe is the little bit up pillowing affect towards the bottom. I read all over that this will flatten after 2 weeks. I will keep my fingers crossed, but for all of the other issues reported with earlier version no issues with this case. I wouldn't doubt that there will be another version that has a tighter more snug screen protector, but well have to wait and see.

Wildwillis

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
No scratches, but I have a little bit of pillowing affect towards the bottom. Hopefully it will go away in a couple of weeks.

----------

Thanks for the kind words. No issues what so ever with the proximity sensor now. The top is more flush so you can easliy press the top of the screen with little effort to scroll to the top of the page. So far this is the best case I have used, my only gripe is the little bit up pillowing affect towards the bottom. I read all over that this will flatten after 2 weeks. I will keep my fingers crossed, but for all of the other issues reported with earlier version no issues with this case. I wouldn't doubt that there will be another version that has a tighter more snug screen protector, but well have to wait and see.

Glad to hear the screen protector is working a bit better on this version and thanks once again for the quick reply. Looks like I'll have to go to Best Buy again and look for case #4!

Has anyone else gotten their hands of this "Gen 4" version of the case? I noticed that the Gen 3 ones started at a lower number for the white cases than they did for the black ones.

setty7

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
guys, how do you know what the GEN 4 case is? Is the GEN 4 the one thats on Lifeproofs website? And what do yall mean by pillowing effect?

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
guys, how do you know what the GEN 4 case is? Is the GEN 4 the one thats on Lifeproofs website? And what do yall mean by pillowing effect?

It's really hard to tell by the box what genreration you are going to get. It seems that these generations vary and are not consistent with the higher numbers. The best bet is if you go to best buy check the case before you buy it. The pillow effect is when the screen doses not sit flush with the screen and you get air pockets on the screen in between the lhone and screen saver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.