Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmillar74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Livonia, Michigan
Is it just me who prefers Apple Maps?!? I personally think it is way better than Google Maps. I've had problems in the past with Google Maps where it took me to places that weren't there. The layout of Apple Maps, the construction/accident icons and details, turn by turn with the streets listed on both the right and left, among other things are stand outs to me. I tried google maps today (new app). It is ok but it isn't as good as Apple Maps. Is it just me?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I like the UI of apple maps a lot better, but I have more faith in google maps. Honestly I just plug the location into google maps to make sure it is right, and if they are the same use apple maps

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I never really had a problem with apple maps. I don't know which one I'll use most moving fwd.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Is it just me who prefers Apple Maps?!? I personally think it is way better than Google Maps. I've had problems in the past with Google Maps where it took me to places that weren't there. The layout of Apple Maps, the construction/accident icons and details, turn by turn with the streets listed on both the right and left, among other things are stand outs to me. I tried google maps today (new app). It is ok but it isn't as good as Apple Maps. Is it just me?

Google Maps currently is way hand down better...totally trashed Apple Maps...

Even the interface, look and feel is more beautiful than Apple..

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Apple Maps hasn't let me down yet and I prefer its turn-by-turn and aesthetics over Google's.

That said, I would have no problem switching to Google Maps should the need ever arise.

Jaypi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Los Angeles
I will stay with Apple maps because of the integration in the system, the integration with yelp & the UI.

I really prefer the UI of apple maps.

But I have to say that I live in a huge city (L.A.) and I don't know how Apple maps is for smaller cities which are not sooo popular. I very good traffic information with apple maps, no false directions etc.

The city & country you are living in plays a big role in the decision in my opinion.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
The city & country you are living in plays a big role in the decision in my opinion.

Yep in Sydney the map data and features of both Google and Apple are both on par. They'll both generally get you to the right block in urban areas, but get less and less reliable once you hit the great dividing range.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Google maps hands down. As someone who actually cares about crisp satellite imagery Apple maps fails miserably (to be fair some spots it's pretty good but for the majority it's not). For others outside of the US there have been numerous issues with Apple maps. I switched to Android before Google Maps for iOS was rereleased so I'm glad I never had to actually use Apple maps on my phone. I've spent a good amount of time using it on the iPhone 5 so I know what it's like to use and would use Google 100% of the time never Apple maps for me. I won't even comment about points of interest on Apple maps because that is still under developed.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
i prefer Apple Maps.
Looks much cleaner, better/Easier UI.

I live in metropolitan Melbourne, there has been no mentioned 'errors' in the maps for my region, or where i travel to. Winning

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Don't care much about UI for both apps. Mapping data is what is most important to me.

In this area, Google Maps wins hands-down for me. Apple maps have millions of incorrect/missing POIs for my country, as well as crappy satellite imagery filled with clouds.:mad:

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I used Google Maps yesterday for turn by turn directions.

Besides not able to switch Miles to Kilometers, I have no complaints.
The direction is easier than Apple's Turn by Turn, and the "voice" of Google maps is more... natural.

Overall, each has its pros and cons... but for now, I will use Google's because of streetview.

teribithia

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
London
I used Google Maps yesterday for turn by turn directions.

Besides not able to switch Miles to Kilometers, I have no complaints.
The direction is easier than Apple's Turn by Turn, and the "voice" of Google maps is more... natural.

Overall, each has its pros and cons... but for now, I will use Google's because of streetview.

Google street view with GPS is very useful, but I am very confused by the google map frame view. :confused::confused: Is there any map APP with google data and Apple frame.

vicky07

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I think Apple maps are way better than the Google maps!!
Apple Maps also offers iPhone users turn-by-turn directions, a feature absent from the previous version of Google Maps for iOS.
It is much more convenient and easy to use than the Google maps!

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Apple Maps also offers iPhone users turn-by-turn directions, a feature absent from the previous version of Google Maps for iOS.

but is it still better now that the google maps app offers free turn by turn navigation now? the experience is arguably better than android's turn by turn, as turn by turn is built right into the app (android's maps and navigation are split into two apps).

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Google Maps was a giant breath of fresh air. Seriously, Apple Maps felt like such a cramped, horrible prison and was completely unreliable for anything. I used to defend it like an idiot in the earlier days because I hadn't used it much yet. But yeah it's been one of the things I really despised about my iPhone 5. Now that this app is released? I hid the Apple Maps app using ragehack and I'm never using it again. My phone finally has useful mapping solutions once again.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I like apple's maps integration.
but for everything else, google maps.
transit feature is a deal maker for me
on top of that, POIs and destinations just pops on google maps. Apple maps isnt as accurate. For example, me typing a restaurant's name may direct me to a suburb with the same name, as opposed to the restaurant itself. Google maps is smarter in this way.

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
For turn by turn I'll continue to use TomTom as it trounces both A and G Maps, plus it cost me 50 quid.

Good to have Streetview back tho.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
i prefer Apple Maps.
Looks much cleaner, better/Easier UI.

I prefer Google Maps for exactly the same reason. Apple Maps is much cleaner. Cleaner = poor readability at a glance, makes features hard to distinguish (which amongst these while lines is a main road ? A back road ?). Google's "mess" of clashing colors makes the maps darn easy to read at a simple glimpse and they don't require so much zooming to get proper details displayed as Apple Maps required.

Clean maps are useless maps.

----------

Uh ? There has never been a previous version of Google Maps for iOS.

And the version released yesterday contains turn-by-turn directions.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Yesterday I have to go to a location I did not know how to go and I choose Apple Maps because they work very good in a lot of situations.

Also the turn by turn option is great.

I will be using always the turn by turn option from Apple Maps and use Google Maps only when I need to view a street with street view.

Also the 3D maps of Apple Maps are great but in some cities they don't work.

It is great to have the 2 map options and it was great that Apple bring us turn by turn to the iphone.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I've had no problems with the accuracy of Apple Maps, but that may be different in other areas (especially outside the US). Featurewise, I think they complement each other well at this point. Google has a better POI database and street view is quite impressive (especially using it with the accelerometer). On the other hand, I like Apple Maps for it's ease of use (I just tell Siri "take me to XYZ") and the flyover mode (which would be even better if Apple added accelerometer controls). I'll just use both depending what I need. Best of both worlds. :D

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Google Maps works better, is more accurate, and IMO, looks nicer.

Does the whole of Android look like this Maps app? If so, the next Nexus may be after my iP5...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.