Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:41 PM   #1
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
What speeds are widely considered "3g"?

What speeds, download and upload (in mbps) are widely considered as:

-2G

- 3G

- 4G

- 4GLTE
PhiladelphiaX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
-EDGE Slow 50-100kbps
-3G 3mbps Good
-4G HSPA+ 14-42mbps Better
-4G up to 50-100mbps LTE Best
__________________
Once you go you never go back
iPhone 5S 16GB White & Silver Sprint::2010 MacBook Air 13" 1.86 C2D::iPad mini Space Gray 16GB Wi-Fi::Various other Apple products.
dontwalkhand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:04 PM   #3
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
kind of subjective, since speed depends heavily on which cellular technology your looking at (GSM or CDMA), network infrastructure, network load, bandwidth....etc. there are theoretical maximums for each level, which the end user likely will never see. there are too many variables to consider. your data speeds may be different than mine. i can give you an idea from experience, but they will be vague and general.

when i had AT&T

EDGE: .75-1.5 mbps
3G: 1- 5 mbps
H+: 3-14 mbps
LTE: 10-???

Verizon CDMA

1XRTT: <1 mbps
3G: 1-3 mbps
LTE: 15-30+ mbps
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5S 32GB Space Grey
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
PhiladelphiaX
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
-EDGE Slow 50-100kbps
-3G 3mbps Good
-4G HSPA+ 14-42mbps Better
-4G up to 50-100mbps LTE Best
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
kind of subjective, since speed depends heavily on which cellular technology your looking at (GSM or CDMA), network infrastructure, network load, bandwidth....etc. there are theoretical maximums for each level, which the end user likely will never see. there are too many variables to consider. your data speeds may be different than mine. i can give you an idea from experience, but they will be vague and general.

when i had AT&T

EDGE: .75-1.5 mbps
3G: 1- 5 mbps
H+: 3-14 mbps
LTE: 10-???

Verizon CDMA

1XRTT: <1 mbps
3G: 1-3 mbps
LTE: 15-30+ mbps
Thanks for the quick responses. Are these down speeds or up speeds?
PhiladelphiaX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:21 PM   #5
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaX View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. Are these down speeds or up speeds?
Those are download....not sure about up.
__________________
Once you go you never go back
iPhone 5S 16GB White & Silver Sprint::2010 MacBook Air 13" 1.86 C2D::iPad mini Space Gray 16GB Wi-Fi::Various other Apple products.
dontwalkhand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaX View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. Are these down speeds or up speeds?
They are all download speeds. CDMA always have worse EDGE and 3G speeds than their GSM counterparts, but LTE is more or less the same.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:34 PM   #7
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
They are all download speeds. CDMA always have worse EDGE and 3G speeds than their GSM counterparts, but LTE is more or less the same.
CDMA doesnt have EDGE....its a GSM 2G technology. its CDMA equivalent would be in between 1XRTT and 3G.

as i stated, theres no real way to actually answer the OP's question. way to many variables to considers. all we can do is generalize.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5S 32GB Space Grey
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:53 PM   #8
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
They are all download speeds. CDMA always have worse EDGE and 3G speeds than their GSM counterparts, but LTE is more or less the same.
Because LTE isn't CDMA, it's GSM
__________________
Once you go you never go back
iPhone 5S 16GB White & Silver Sprint::2010 MacBook Air 13" 1.86 C2D::iPad mini Space Gray 16GB Wi-Fi::Various other Apple products.
dontwalkhand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:20 PM   #9
unknownbeing
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
Because LTE isn't CDMA, it's GSM
LTE isn't GSM. LTE is LTE.
__________________
iPhone 5, My website:http://ahelpern.com/ My Gaming Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Team20LP
unknownbeing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownbeing View Post
LTE isn't GSM. LTE is LTE.
I always thought LTE was GSM tech, due to the SIM card requirement.

"LTE is a standard for wireless data communications technology and an evolution of the GSM/UMTS standards."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:02 PM   #11
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
EDGE: .75-1.5 mbps
..
Correction: EDGE's max speed for real networks (using 4 slots) is 236Kbps. Even its theoretical max speed (8 slots, which AT&T didn't support) is only double that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
I always thought LTE was GSM tech, due to the SIM card requirement.

"LTE is a standard for wireless data communications technology and an evolution of the GSM/UMTS standards."
There's no cell radio compatibility between GPRS, UMTS or LTE. They share some background network components, but that's about it. To support all three, a phone needs all three types of radios.

"Evolution" is a marketing term. It's like saying an automobile is an evolution of a horse-drawn cart. Yes, it is, but their engines are not mechanically similar
kdarling is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC