Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:44 PM   #26
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramerica916 View Post
google maps briefly disappeared on 9/19/12. NEVER FORGET!
Yes, but was it in the App Store?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:46 PM   #27
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Lol. This is a sad list of "best"
sinsin07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:52 PM   #28
nagromme
macrumors G4

Paper is a cool drawing app (among many) but I just don’t get the excitement. Procreate is a drawing app I can get excited about.

As for games, well, everyone has their favorites... they didn’t pick one of mine. I might have nominated Squids.

Action Movie FX? Well... OK...
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:03 PM   #29
SlowCarBoost
macrumors member

Glad to see Rayman Jungle Run get the attention it deserves. Ubisoft took what made Rayman Origins so great and converted it successfully for a touch control based experience without losing any of the addictiveness or charm of Origins. It is by far the best game I've ever played on a phone.
SlowCarBoost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:26 PM   #30
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Okay, so Action Movie is fun to play with in the beginning but it goes unused after that. They need to do better than awarding "Best App of the Year" to some fad app.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:28 PM   #31
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
As good as ActionMovieFX is, I think Google Maps may quickly be more deserving, though Apple would never admit it.
I wouldn't bet on it.
Google Maps made it into the list of editorial picks for mapping and routing.

It's a very curated list, so they must like it a lot themselves and are willing to promote it big time.

Not like Google Maps needs their promotion, you know.
(You'd have to live under a rock right now in order NOT to get the news about Google Maps' return to iOS)

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:36 PM   #32
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishimaru View Post
Please explain how it's an insult to the industry. I'd actually like to know. I for one really enjoyed it.
Like I said it is a good and even great game but I just feel like its a little too close to a port to receive this reward. I just feel like game of the year should be something that is really innovative to the platform like tiny wings was. If you are going to reward ports then why not crown gta,cod or an ff title?

Maybe I was a little harsh I enjoyed Rayman a lot and still randomly play it but I just don’t think its game of the year worthy in my eyes.

TouchMint.com is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:39 PM   #33
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Rayman Jungle Run.... Dont get me wrong its a good game but it is an insult to the iOS gaming industry.

There are innovative great new games out there and they pick this…

Well, I think we're all just surprised to see a front page article on apps that are not Angry Birds.

Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:40 PM   #34
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
[Room] has a very similar aesthetic [to Myst], but the puzzles are simpler and there is no exploration whatsoever (as the title says, you're in a room.) It's just you interacting with a giant lockbox.
Thanks. Per that, dug into the "Most Critical" reviews and the complaints matched up well with what I'm looking for: an inexpensive ($2) puzzler for intellectuals which should take a few hours to complete; the complaints were that it's too expensive ($2 for several hours of quality entertainment? that's cheap!) and too short (I want something that I can finish akin to a short novel, not a voluminous series). Downloading now.
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:50 PM   #35
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Action Movie was out in 2011.

I was blowing up my mother-in-law last Christmas.

Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:57 PM   #36
Silver Box
macrumors member

Action Movie FX has never worked on my iPhone 5, and in order for me to get it to work i'd have to clean restore and lose my text messages because its corrupted something in the App/iOS. Let me explain...

I downloaded it from the app store, pressed go in the app and entered my ID details to download the old packs and it crashed during that process (bear in mind this is on a brand new iphone 5, ios 6.0.1 nothing else on it.) Now everytime i launch the app and press go it crashes to the home screen. Even after deleting the app, updating the app, deleting the app data, backing up and restoring back from back up and various combinations of the above.

Sent them a request for support with crash logs, ignored first time. Pleaded for help again, got a copy-pasta reply within 10 seconds. I think they know their app has the potential to f&*k itself/iOS, and cant do anything about it, unless you clean restore.

So Action Movie FX as a no.1 app? Sorry, not in my book. I'll keep my texts and trash the app, cheers. They've got my money so what do they care, right? Im not the only person with this problem, and some 1 star reviews on the app store (and this forum) back it up.
Silver Box is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:06 PM   #37
luigi408
macrumors regular

I like Paper but WHERE IS ZOOM?!?! I can't stand using it after too long cause it doesn't have zoom when you need to be more accurate.
luigi408 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:31 PM   #38
Jeans89
macrumors regular

Am I the only one who thinks that all the goodies in Paper are ridicilously expensive?
Jeans89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:34 PM   #39
bdkennedy1
macrumors 65816

I just can't understand why Rihanna's "Diamonds" didn't top the chart. Anyone that sings, "Shine bright like a diamond" 1500 times in their song in a squirrel voice needs a Grammy.
bdkennedy1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:45 PM   #40
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
I just can't understand why Rihanna's "Diamonds" didn't top the chart. Anyone that sings, "Shine bright like a diamond" 1500 times in their song in a squirrel voice needs a Grammy.
Music industry manufactured crap at its finest!

TouchMint.com is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:57 PM   #41
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

After this small sampling of replies its evident where they went to get the "best of 2012".
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:58 PM   #42
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Best Book is: Two Black Eyes-The guide to teaching women how to listen more effectively.
Jalopybox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:59 PM   #43
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68010

Action Movie FX is one of the only apps I remember. It was a cool toy, I blew up my coworkers, I'll leave it at that

Rayman Jungle Run I didn't d/l because I thought it was a Temple Run ripoff like every other app with the word Run in it. Now I see it isn't so I guess this would be fun if I was still in high school and bored in the back of class. Bastion is probably 100 times better than this game but I guess Apple has some kind of cheap cap you gotta be under to win awards

Those iPad apps I never tried because my iPad has been in the trunk of my car for the past 4 months

Frank Ocean is awesome. I was at one of those Top 40 radio X-Mas concerts recently and the Jonas Brothers did a cover of Thinking About You, which made them cool for about 3 mins

We Are Young and Ho Hey I heard and liked before those songs blew up. Fun I really don't care for otherwise. Lumineers I want to stick around
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:04 PM   #44
xanagu
Banned

Google maps will take 1st place before this year ends
xanagu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:03 PM   #45
oplix
macrumors 6502a

Rayman Jungle Run is a complete joke. Who came up with this list? Forstall? If it has to be something that came out this year I would think a game like Fifa 13 would be a shoe-in for GOTY.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:16 PM   #46
studio¹³¹
macrumors 6502

Action Movie FX?! You cant even import a clip from your roll. I wonder how much they paid to make this Top list...
studio¹³¹ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:53 PM   #47
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

TBH I am a little sad that Bracket Maker did not make it as at least a nominee!

I mean you can make brackets for your own tournaments and email them out instantally! How is that not app of the year worthy?

/end plug lol.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:01 PM   #48
dlewis23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post
How in the world do you deal with their gimmicky 'undo' wheel?
I just deal with it. It's not so bad I guess I'm just so use to it.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:58 PM   #49
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Worst of the worst 2012 edition.

All of these selections are pure crap.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:11 PM   #50
I WAS the one
macrumors 6502a

Seriously? It Seems Apple is pushing eye candy over productivity BIG TIME.
Paper?? Best of 2012??? B_LL S__t!
Did Apple know that there's is an App called Procreate that is incredibly awesome (eye-candy and productivity combo)???

Please, I try Paper for a month and it was crap.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Paper is a cool drawing app (among many) but I just don’t get the excitement. Procreate is a drawing app I can get excited about.
Exactly

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion