Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
I just bought the blu-ray, dvd, digital copy & ultraviolet combo for Ted and after downloading the digital copy from iTunes, i tried putting it on my ipad and it won't transfer. I get the message "Ted was not copied to the ipad because it can't be played on this iPad. I can play it on my MBP but not on my iPad? Any one ever have this issue? Know how to get around it?

Copy is downloaded from itunes and i have the first gen iPad (never had this issue)

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I just bought the blu-ray, dvd, digital copy & ultraviolet combo for Ted and after downloading the digital copy from iTunes, i tried putting it on my ipad and it won't transfer. I get the message "Ted was not copied to the ipad because it can't be played on this iPad. I can play it on my MBP but not on my iPad? Any one ever have this issue? Know how to get around it?

Copy is downloaded from itunes and i have the first gen iPad (never had this issue)

That's strange. Is it .mp4?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
even if it is MP4, sometimes it can't be transfered to Ipad and i dont know why.

U should have bought the movie from Itune, sure it will cost less than blue-ray and it designed to play with ur Ipad perfectly.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
works on my iPad /mini. i took the blu-ray, used MakeMKV to rip it, then used HandBrake to convert it to 1080 MP4.

mrstefani

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Macomb, Michigan

Try going to iTunes preferences, then click on playback. Make sure preferred video version is set to 720p click ok. Now try to transfer. If that doesn't work, not sure why you're having this issue :confused:

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
You don't by any chance have age restrictions enabled on your ipad?
I tried putting Titanic on my granddaughter's iPad and forgot that I'd enabled age restrictions for movies.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I just use the flixster app to play my movies after I follow the directions to get it to my library with the code given in the combo pack.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I thought it was pretty funny and entertaining.

Exactly!!! Some people expect Oscar winning material from a movie with a foul mouth talking bear that likes to do the nasty with checkout girls in a grocery store. The nerve of some people.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Your iPad is doing you a favor. Delete, confirm moving file to trash, and forget you ever spent money on Ted.

Lol. I know an employee at B&N music/movie department and he said they sold out of this movie the first day of release. They maybe had 20 or so but we are talking B&N here who doesn't exactly have the best prices. Even still it sold out? Ted?????????? Unbelievable.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Ted? How gauche and lewd. Can't we discuss Les Miserables or War and Peace? I mean, really. May I have some more tea and another crumpet?

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Try this:

1.) Open up the MP4 in a hex editor (HxD is a freeware for Windows - be warned: it tries to automatically save a "backup" copy when saving, but that can be aborted)
2.) Search for the hex "61 76 63 43" ("avcC" in ASCII) - it should occur only once near the top
3.) The next byte after that is usually "01" and isn't important
4.) The next two bytes declare Profile ("42 E0" = Baseline, "4D 40" = Main, "58 A0" = Extended, "64 00" = High).
5.) The next byte declares AVC Level ("1F" = Level 3.1, "29" = Level 4.1, "33" = Level 5.1)
6.) Change whatever is in the AVC level to "1F" in hex and save. Try syncing the movie to the iPad again. (It would also be a good idea to check to see if you are violating the AVC 3.1 limits by doing so.)

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
The 1st gen ipad doesn't support 1080p movies (doesn't make sense on a 1024x768 device anyway). get a 720p version or downconvert the 1080p version.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
No, that's not the correct setting. The 'Entertainment Standards' option should be set to 'Snob' or 'Impress Others'.

Why would anyone who doesnt like movies about misogynistic racist and homophobic stuffed animals be a snob or trying to i- ah nevermind enjoy your dumb movie i was just making a joke.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
The 1st gen ipad doesn't support 1080p movies (doesn't make sense on a 1024x768 device anyway). get a 720p version or downconvert the 1080p version.

Yeah, or as another poster stated, just use the Ultraviolet version through Flixster or Vudu apps.

I have this flick too, and it's great they actually give you both a 1080p iTunes version, AND an Ultraviolet version, which streams basically through any device.

Hilarious flick BTW. I'm pretty picky when it comes to comedy, but this one hit all the right notes. Saw it 3x in the theater with different people, and it's a real crowd pleaser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.