Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
Hey,

I'm not the kind of person that drops electronics or isn't careful with them. Does the iPad mini scratch easily? Would you recommend a case for it?

Thanks! :apple:

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Hey,

I'm not the kind of person that drops electronics or isn't careful with them. Does the iPad mini scratch easily? Would you recommend a case for it?

I personally would get some kind of case for any iPad newer that the original: Apple, in their quest to make the iPad seem thin, gave them a sharp edge that could become somewhat uncomfortable with extended use.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hey,

Absolutely. It's an investment and should be protected. It will also help if you ever decide to sell it.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
Ok. Anyone recommend a case other than otterbox? Since I don't drop it or anything I don't need anything quite so bulky. What is the thinnest case out there that protects, but doesn't ruin it's smallness and make it really bulky?

Also, what do you think of the magnetic cover that Apple sells for it?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I have an iPad 3, so I know it's not the same as the iPad Mini, but I have not used a case for my iPad when it was inside. I just have a neoprene case for transporting it. I don't really use it outside of the house, so I hardly use the case at all.

Personally, I think you would be fine - as long as you don't drop it. If you do drop it on something hard, be prepared to have damage ranging...

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I just have a skin on the back to prevent scratching and a Smart Cover. I the. Carry it in a sleeve if I am taking it to go. I do recommend something for the screen. It seems much thinner and flimsy compared to my iPad 3.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Hey,

I have a Smart Cover mainly for the prop-up-ability and a Coverbuddy because the metal back feels like a block of ice.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Ok. Anyone recommend a case other than otterbox? Since I don't drop it or anything I don't need anything quite so bulky. What is the thinnest case out there that protects, but doesn't ruin it's smallness and make it really bulky?

Also, what do you think of the magnetic cover that Apple sells for it?

I got Nillkin case which basically just a back cover on eBay for roughly $15 shipped. I like it does the job but I needed a Case that can be used as a stand.

I found a brand new x-doria Dash Folio on kijiji for $30.

I've never been a fan of OtterBox, especially the Defender series. I think very expensive, bulky and ugly. Seriously, if you need that type of protection you need to start handle your toys more carefully.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
I hate cases. If I wanted an ugly device, I'd have purchased something else.

A skin from BestSkinsEvery will protect the back from scratches and make it easier to grip. No bulk added.

I also have a pouch I got from etsy to put the device in to keep it from getting scratched if it goes in a backpack or bag.

rwyxSl.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.