Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:36 PM   #4476
FlashFlare11
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFarmer View Post
Training is set by Apple, so it can't be guaranteed to be over your Winter break. This is a corporate position, with work hours set by Apple for 90 day periods. You won't be able to tell them if you have classes certain days etc. I don't believe they intend this position for students, but I believe they have an on-campus version (though I'm not sure, but it's something to look into).
Thanks for the response!

I am a bit concerned by this. I listed it in my status as a student in my application, resume, and explicitly stated it in my cover letter. I just hope the recruiter took that into account when she considered my application, and that a part-time position is available. I'd hate to have to turn down a potential job offer simply because I couldn't meet their requirements.

EDIT: Just took a look at the job posting again and saw what had attracted my attention in the first place: 20 hours a week. I completely forgot that it was a part-time position! That's a HUGE relief.

Last edited by FlashFlare11; Dec 12, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
FlashFlare11 is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:46 PM   #4477
iFarmer
macrumors member

Last edited by iFarmer; Sep 29, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
iFarmer is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:52 PM   #4478
FlashFlare11
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFarmer View Post
It's part-time, yes, but reading this thread leads me to believe that sometimes they make you work up to 40 hours during busy times. Also, the 20 hours a week isn't flexible (e.g. you sit down when you're not busy and crank them out). They'll give you a schedule for say, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays between certain hours (5:00am-11:30pm CST) and if you have a class during those hours you're SOL. The hours you work are set by Apple and are good for 90 days, and then they rotate them.

Obviously I don't work there, but from what I can tell it's not for those who need flexible scheduling. My guess is during your interview you should bring up that you're a full-time on campus student at the beginning and see what they say.
Again, thank you!

A schedule, such as the one you included as an example, is exactly what I was expecting (and hoping for). I will bring it up during the interview because I would hate for them to hire me only to later find out that I'm of little use to them.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:31 PM   #4479
macguy2819
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFlare11 View Post
Again, thank you!

A schedule, such as the one you included as an example, is exactly what I was expecting (and hoping for). I will bring it up during the interview because I would hate for them to hire me only to later find out that I'm of little use to them.
Can you private message me? I have some info I'd like to share with you. I've added you as a friend on the board.
macguy2819 is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:47 PM   #4480
FlashFlare11
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy2819 View Post
Can you private message me? I have some info I'd like to share with you. I've added you as a friend on the board.
I'm sorry, but I can't send PMs yet. Too new. Is there any other way we could contact?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 PM   #4481
macguy2819
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFlare11 View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't send PMs yet. Too new. Is there any other way we could contact?
Just sent you a message.
macguy2819 is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:15 AM   #4482
IceFire
macrumors member

For students, if you apply through the student website, they are flexible with your school schedule and build your work schedule around that.

http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/students.html#aha_college

They do have a short list though of schools that they work with.

For the one that most of us are talking about, you are expected to work anytime between 5:00am-11:30pm CST. You are also required to work one full shift on a weekend day and be required to flex up to a full time 40 hour shift during busy times such as holidays and new product launches. This might be problematic for a student, so it's something to think about.
IceFire is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4483
AngryGerbil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
For students, if you apply through the student website, they are flexible with your school schedule and build your work schedule around that.

http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/students.html#aha_college

They do have a short list though of schools that they work with.

For the one that most of us are talking about, you are expected to work anytime between 5:00am-11:30pm CST. You are also required to work one full shift on a weekend day and be required to flex up to a full time 40 hour shift during busy times such as holidays and new product launches. This might be problematic for a student, so it's something to think about.
If you're going into a regular AHA (not student) plan your budget for part time, plan your schedule for full time. As a newbie, chances are you'll be working evenings and your schedule is pretty much written in stone for 6 months. Anyone coming on board now will miss the 2 overtime weeks during the holiday and my guess is we'll all be going back to 20 hours in Jan. Not sure about CPU, they seem to have more regular full time ppl than iOS.
AngryGerbil is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:22 AM   #4484
macrobatt
macrumors regular

wow what a long process

I know they must be swamped with applications. I know some people get answers back right away after the questionnaire. I suppose i should just be happy i haven't gotten the thanks for playing email yet.
macrobatt is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:49 AM   #4485
techsrus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrobatt View Post
I know they must be swamped with applications. I know some people get answers back right away after the questionnaire. I suppose i should just be happy i haven't gotten the thanks for playing email yet.
do they send rejection emails before interviewing?
techsrus is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:26 AM   #4486
macrobatt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsrus View Post
do they send rejection emails before interviewing?
from what I've read on this thread they will usually send a rejection email if your not selected to move on the next step of the process. Just hoping i don't get to see one of them personally.
macrobatt is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:52 AM   #4487
techsrus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
from what I've read on this thread they will usually send a rejection email if your not selected to move on the next step of the process. Just hoping i don't get to see one of them personally.
oh. i applied but have not gotten any type of reply. as of today, 2 weeks have passed. i may resubmit an application

thank you (and everyone here) for the information
techsrus is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:11 AM   #4488
macrobatt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsrus View Post
oh. i applied but have not gotten any type of reply. as of today, 2 weeks have passed. i may resubmit an application

thank you (and everyone here) for the information
No problem looking at the time lines others have posted it can take a while to get a response. i applied to several in middle of last month and just got the questionnaire a few days ago.
macrobatt is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #4489
KarenRD
macrumors newbie

Process...

Quote:
No problem looking at the time lines others have posted it can take a while to get a response. i applied to several in middle of last month and just got the questionnaire a few days ago.

I submitted to ALL Apps for the AHA position and after several received a call and was advised I may hear back in a few weeks. Are you guys referring to the questionnaire right after submitting the application on apple.com OR is this a completely different questionnaire ( Which I haven't received yet)? Thanks!
KarenRD is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:00 PM   #4490
macrobatt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRD View Post
I submitted to ALL Apps for the AHA position and after several received a call and was advised I may hear back in a few weeks. Are you guys referring to the questionnaire right after submitting the application on apple.com OR is this a completely different questionnaire ( Which I haven't received yet)? Thanks!
Im talking about the 11 question one you get after sending your application in.
macrobatt is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:03 PM   #4491
KarenRD
macrumors newbie

Strange

Quote:
Im talking about the 11 question one you get after sending your application in.
Ok, so I guess that's something I haven't received yet - Wonder how long it takes to get that... And why I would get a call before receiving the questionairre? Strange...
KarenRD is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:34 PM   #4492
macrobatt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRD View Post
Ok, so I guess that's something I haven't received yet - Wonder how long it takes to get that... And why I would get a call before receiving the questionairre? Strange...
shoot i wish i had a phone call from em
macrobatt is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:24 PM   #4493
VA-Enthusiast
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGerbil View Post
30 is on the high side for an average 8 hour day. My average in iOS for an 8 hour shift is mid twenties, the team average is low 20's. I can tell you that the number of calls you complete is the last thing they look at. In terms of importance it goes csats first, then schedule adherence, then logging, then finally AHT. Too, you don't want a really high escalation rate and you also want at least a few APP attachments as well. Keep your csats high and they'll give you a little more flexibility with other metrics.

Hit my 90 days a little while ago and now shopping for a heavily discounted MBP
Wow! How time flies! Glad to see you and some others are hanging in there. As for me, I threw my hat in the ring and went back into the consulting field. Apple is an excellent company to work for! Enjoy the experience!
VA-Enthusiast is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:37 PM   #4494
FlashFlare11
macrumors newbie

So, a bit of an update:

I spoke with the recruiter via Skype and was very upfront with her about my school situation. He was very kind in telling me that the position wasn't a fit for my schedule but that should I ever try for another position, he'd happily help out. Not the outcome I would have liked, but one that couldn't be helped and an overall positive experience.

I've decided to apply for Apple Retail Store positions in Philadelphia and the suburbs instead and campus rep positions.

With that said, I thank everyone who went out of their way to help me and those who inadvertently did so by posting here. It really was a great aid and I really appreciate it!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:48 PM   #4495
theone19
macrumors newbie

Hello

does anyone no the exact time of day part time works at.
theone19 is offline   0
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:31 AM   #4496
apeonpatrol
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone19 View Post
does anyone no the exact time of day part time works at.
there is no exact time. the schedules very on projected call volume. you could be working 9am-5pm or 4pm-11:30pm or 10am-7pm and so on
apeonpatrol is offline   0
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:28 AM   #4497
AngryGerbil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Enthusiast View Post
Wow! How time flies! Glad to see you and some others are hanging in there. As for me, I threw my hat in the ring and went back into the consulting field. Apple is an excellent company to work for! Enjoy the experience!
Apple is in fact a great company to work for... As for the job itself, I hate every minute of it. I've been in tech for over 20 years and this is entry level customer service. I'm used to working with servers not iPod owners that can't log into iTunes. I've got some of the best stats in our group but I absolutely dread putting on that headset.

After the 2 holiday hell weeks are over and we're back to 20 hours per week I'm really going to focus on getting a job that fits my background, AHA just isn't my thing.
AngryGerbil is offline   0
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4498
macrobatt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGerbil View Post
Apple is in fact a great company to work for... As for the job itself, I hate every minute of it. I've been in tech for over 20 years and this is entry level customer service. I'm used to working with servers not iPod owners that can't log into iTunes. I've got some of the best stats in our group but I absolutely dread putting on that headset.

After the 2 holiday hell weeks are over and we're back to 20 hours per week I'm really going to focus on getting a job that fits my background, AHA just isn't my thing.
Isn't there the possibility of moving over to the cpu side, or up?
macrobatt is offline   0
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:55 AM   #4499
apeonpatrol
macrumors member

I'm in CPU and just based on the test calls alone this job is still quite a bit of tech support. I know iOS is a totally different ball park though.
apeonpatrol is offline   0
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:46 AM   #4500
theone19
macrumors newbie

i hope the hrs for this job are in mid day.
theone19 is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion