Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stucco81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I'm preparing my house for my latest hi-tech gift :) and i wanna know what is the better solution (value for money) in order to protect my imac.

What ups can i bought? APC? any other brand? what do u think about this model? APC Smart-UPS 750VA LCD 100V, it will protected quite enough?

msg362

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Thailand
I'm preparing my house for my latest hi-tech gift :) and i wanna know what is the better solution (value for money) in order to protect my imac.

What ups can i bought? APC? any other brand? what do u think about this model? APC Smart-UPS 750VA LCD 100V, it will protected quite enough?

I've no idea where you live, but here in Thailand all UPS have the same single battery (from a M/C ) that lasts about 10 minutes. If you want longer, buy one with two batteries - 20 minutes. We really need them out here as we have frequent short power cuts ( 1-5 minutes as the operator changes the reels??)
Also look for surge protection- again here an important feature.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
We've had good luck with APS UPS units in our house. They need batteries every couple of years, unless you have long power outages. During hurricanes, when I lived in Florida, we used them to run portable A/C units and keep the freezer going. I've always used a minimum of 1,000 VA for running both my monitor and the computer. I'll use the same for my 27" iMac. Oh, batteries can be replaced in them by going to places like Batteries Plus.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

APC has been nothing but trouble for me. I've switched to Cyberpower and haven't had any trouble with them so far.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009

bielen

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
New Jersey
Forget APC

I had the APC as well. We used to use them exclusively. After a year, my home unit totally failed. Most of the reviews of the CyberPower have been positive especially in the area of Mac compatibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.