Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I have a friend of mine who is willing to trade my 2012 ultimate 2.0 8gb 512gb air for his lightly used 13 inch retina i5 8gb 512ssd

I am finding it so hard to say no, I really like the retina display. I typically get new machines whenever they come out anyways just cause its a disease I suffer from.

I know a lot of talk is going on here about a possible AIR retina but for the time being I wonder have any others made the switch? tell me your situation. thanks

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I wouldn't trade for a 13 rMBP. Myabe a 15 rMBP but really I would just keep the MBA. The 13 rMBP doesn't really offer that great of a deal.

What do you use the computer for?

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I need portability, I do WISH the 13 RMBP def had a better processor but it doesn't.

I own a used car business. So I have vmware and run windows, iphoto, I upload high def pictures of cars to cars.com and my website and other that itunes internet

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Canada
Interesting scenario. But I would make this trade 10 out of 10 times. The added portability of the Air, in my opinion, does not outweigh a Retina Display, a 2.5 GHz chip and an HDMI port.

My fiancée and I bought a 13" rMBP together and, while there is slight sluggish UI performance here and there, I have yet to ever notice it when I'm not looking for it.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
Interesting scenario. But I would make this trade 10 out of 10 times. The added portability of the Air, in my opinion, does not outweigh a Retina Display, a 2.5 GHz chip and an HDMI port.

My fiancée and I bought a 13" rMBP together and, while there is slight sluggish UI performance here and there, I have yet to ever notice it when I'm not looking for it.

you just made me smile :) so is the UI stuff only in safari? do you notice any big difference in weight?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
you just made me smile :) so is the UI stuff only in safari? do you notice any big difference in weight?

Other than the screen what do you gain with the 13 rMBP? Same amount of SSD space, same amount and speed of RAM, same GPU, same claimed battery life, slight bump in CPU speed 1.8 to 2.5. The only thing I don't know is if both have similar SSD speeds?

If you want the retina display + slightly faster CPU in a slightly heavier package then go for the rMBP.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16480707#post16480707

halledise

macrumors 68000
I have a friend of mine who is willing to trade my 2012 ultimate 2.0 8gb 512gb air for his lightly used 13 inch retina i5 8gb 512ssd

I am finding it so hard to say no, I really like the retina display. I typically get new machines whenever they come out anyways just cause its a disease I suffer from.

I know a lot of talk is going on here about a possible AIR retina but for the time being I wonder have any others made the switch? tell me your situation. thanks

take it - hands up, a better deal :D

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal. You are trading up. You can always go back to the Air in the future. It seems like a pretty good opportunity to try something new...

jemesouviens

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
Arbitrage opportunity

Make the trade, sell the rmbp, buy a new MacBook Air and spend the profit on beer & dancing girls.

bubbleboyjones

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
Other than the screen what do you gain with the 13 rMBP?

But the screen is a huge deal. That shouldn't be weighed the same like cpu specs or hd specs like "256 gb hd vs 512 gb". The screen is the one constant you're always going to benefit from(expect when using external displays).

I would jump on that trade in a second for a rMPB except the question...why is your friend wanting to trade it?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If portability is not an issue (for me, it is hugely important as I travel a lot), and you actually need a superlative screen for your work, I'd suggest that you go for the deal which you have been offered, as it seems (on the face of it) to be a very good one.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
But the screen is a huge deal. That shouldn't be weighed the same like cpu specs or hd specs like "256 gb hd vs 512 gb". The screen is the one constant you're always going to benefit from(expect when using external displays).

I would jump on that trade in a second for a rMPB except the question...why is your friend wanting to trade it?

Yeah for sure the screen is big. Wasn't trying to downplay that but for some it might not be as big of an issue. Each person has to decide that.

OP, seems the general consensus is to go with the rMBP. Here are a few articles that might help you decide one way or another:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/...-macbook-pro-vs-other-macbooks-and-ultrabooks

http://us.gizmodo.com/5959780/13+inch-retina-macbook-pro-review-so-good-but-so-not-worth-it

http://www.cnet.com/macbook-pro-13-inch-retina-display/

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
Actually now he says he wants $200 on top, which I am still thinking to do it lol Ill see if he can meet me half way and do $100. He buys and sells macs for a living and so he has this base model machine which he will install a 512 on for me. He is very reputable we buy and sell stuff from each other frequently

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Test it for IR with the checkerboard test before agreeing. You don't want to get stuck with one that has bad ghosting on it. If it doesn't have IR, I'd make that trade every time.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
Test it for IR with the checkerboard test before agreeing. You don't want to get stuck with one that has bad ghosting on it. If it doesn't have IR, I'd make that trade every time.

I have read about this, can you tell me what the IR issue and tell me how i would exactly test this please

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
GOD i wonder how many other apple users tend to be as indecisive as me. Im wondering should I go 15? I just hate all the extra weight but dang I wonder if for what I do if it would be better spec wise? I do a lot of live video streaming for car auctions

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
GOD i wonder how many other apple users tend to be as indecisive as me. Im wondering should I go 15? I just hate all the extra weight but dang I wonder if for what I do if it would be better spec wise? I do a lot of live video streaming for car auctions

I had the MBA 13 i7 2.0/8/256 and RMBP 15 2.6/16/256. I enjoyed both machines but in the end I decided to keep the RMBP and pass the MBA on to family.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I had the MBA 13 i7 2.0/8/256 and RMBP 15 2.6/16/256. I enjoyed both machines but in the end I decided to keep the RMBP and pass the MBA on to family.

what do you do for a living if I can ask? how do you use the machine where does the TB display come in? Do you notice a big difference in terms of going from air to the 15 vs a 13 retina?

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
what do you do for a living if I can ask? how do you use the machine where does the TB display come in? Do you notice a big difference in terms of going from air to the 15 vs a 13 retina?

I'm in software development. I've never personally used the 13 retina. I use the 15 retina for mobility and when I want to sit at a desk I dock the 15 retina to the TBD and have dual screens. I make the TBD the primary display and it connects to all of my devices (e.g., SuperDrive, speakers, external hdd, etc.) At one point, I had an 11 air, 13 air, and 15 retina at the same time. the 13 air and 15 retina is a noticeable difference in weight at first. This is because I had previously used an 2011 MBA 13 before switching to a 2012 MBA 13. The thing that bothered me more in the 15 retina wasn't the weight but it was the size. After a couple of days, I don't notice it anymore and can switch between machines without a big deal. The retina/non retina switching doesn't bother me at all.

I decided on a 15 retina knowing at the time the possibility of a 13 retina. I didn't have interest in the 13 retina because the retina resolution I had assume was 1280x800 which was more cramped then an air. The high price difference between a 13 air and 13 retina wouldn't be worth it for me.

In your scenario, I think you should do the trade. Mostly likely the Air will get refreshed sooner and it might be easier / value retain better if you're holding on to a "current" 13 retina then a "last year" air. With a 15 retina, I can run the full retina but with a 13 retina I would probably run the highest scaled resolution offered.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Actually now he says he wants $200 on top, which I am still thinking to do it lol Ill see if he can meet me half way and do $100. He buys and sells macs for a living and so he has this base model machine which he will install a 512 on for me. He is very reputable we buy and sell stuff from each other frequently

I would not add $200. There is something like a $150 difference new? Apple sells your Air refurbished for almost $1900. $100 would beOK. If he doesn't agree to that then I personally wouldn't do it. I probably would walk away from it just based on him flipping from straight trade to trade plus cash.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I would not add $200. There is something like a $150 difference new? Apple sells your Air refurbished for almost $1900. $100 would beOK. If he doesn't agree to that then I personally wouldn't do it. I probably would walk away from it just based on him flipping from straight trade to trade plus cash.

I understand your logic and I thought about that too but truth be told he is paying like $650 for the 512 ssd hes putting in for me so It makes sense. I dont truly need 512 but it would be hold better value long term when the next model comes out and 256 is the standard and not 128

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.