Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:46 PM   #601
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Went to check my iPhone 3Gs this morning and the battery was completely dead, took about 15 minutes hooked up to my Mac before it came back to life, charging now.

I have charged it last night so it should have been fine for today. My only guess is I was playing with the new navigating on the Google Maps and had not canceled the trip, maybe it was on all night until the battery drained? I did notice it was warmer than normal when charging.

The only reason the trip was still programmed was I could not find a way to end/cancel the trip. I think I have now but it appears you need to manually quite the program to turn it off fully, at least on my 3Gs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macness View Post
I can't figure out how to use street view on this thing. And also it says "Public transit information not available in this region" I LIVE IN VANCOUVER B.C.!!
Put in an address then pull up the address tab at the bottom of the screen, it should be there if available.

Last edited by Lancer; Dec 13, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:50 PM   #602
Aidan5806
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Well it looks very cheap.....expected better from Google.
Yep.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:53 PM   #603
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
and also, for people like me on iOS 5 xD
Not until the jailbreak comes out.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:35 PM   #604
Swiss-G
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I can't figure out how to use street view on this thing. And also it says "Public transit information not available in this region" I LIVE IN VANCOUVER B.C.!!

Press and hold on a street and the address details will appear.

Select the address and if streetview is available it will appear the bottom of the screen.
Swiss-G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:55 PM   #605
pure3d2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss-G View Post
Press and hold on a street and the address details will appear.

Select the address and if streetview is available it will appear the bottom of the screen.
How do you un-select an address or remove a red pin from the map?
pure3d2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:06 PM   #606
fsck-y dingo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
That's awesome. Can you use it as a navigation system for driving, or is it meant for pedestrians primarily?
It works with driving, walking and transit directions.
fsck-y dingo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:09 PM   #607
maconservative
macrumors regular

Quote:
And also it says "Public transit information not available in this region" I LIVE IN VANCOUVER B.C.!!
The only thing I can figure on this is if your Current Location is in an area where Public Transit isn't an immediate option.

For example, I live in a suburb north of Dallas that does not feed into the Dallas Public Transit (DART). I can not get Public Transit routing into Dallas from my Current Location. If I were to select a starting location 5 miles south that has Public Transit routing, Google Maps will provide the Public Transit routing.

This is weird because in other versions of Google Maps (desktop, android, old iOS 5 app) the app will say to either drive or walk from the Current Location to where the Public Transit routing begins.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:26 PM   #608
Dino F
macrumors 65816

Is there an iPad version of this?! It seems I can only install the iPhone version and need to zoom in to use it on the iPad?!
Dino F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:18 PM   #609
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk26 View Post
You really have to applaud Google, BAILING Apple out from its WORST customer and public relations DISASTER in recent memory.

Google could have let Apple HANG itself with its own mistakes, but rather showed enough RESPECT to iOS users to give them a CHOICE. Would Apple have done this for ANYONE, let alone Google? Of course not!

That alone shows which company is truly more pro-consumer rather than anti-competition.

Now if only Apple could take that SMALL step in doing what Android does, which is ALLOW its users to CHOOSE their OWN default apps, that would be a BRILLIANT gesture of good faith to all iOS users. Let's just hope Tim Cook follows Steve Jobs' advice and "does the right thing".
I would say Apple single handedly forced improvements of Google maps without having to give Google anything.

Quote:
Google could have let Apple HANG itself with its own mistakes, but rather showed enough RESPECT to iOS users to give them a CHOICE
Google's motivation is not to respect iOS users but to mine their data. One of the biggest assets Apple has is its millions of iOS users that Google wants to tap into. Just goes to show that Google needs Apple more then Apple needs Google.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:31 PM   #610
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Both sides of the religious fanboys are equally funny here.

The Apple side:
"Apple maps is flawless! Google maps sucks! No Thanks! "

the Google side:
"Google did this for you all iOS users out of charity. Yes, charity! They are so kind!"
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:39 PM   #611
thewhitehart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to thewhitehart Send a message via Yahoo to thewhitehart
This is a Godsend. Detailed station infrastructure and myriad alleyways have returned to Tokyo. Not to mention accurately placed data and public transportation.

Thanks to Google and Apple for getting their sh** worked out in as little as three months. Who knows how many people would have died of thirst in the outback.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:10 PM   #612
MacMan988
macrumors 6502a

It says that the app is not available in my local app store.
MacMan988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:19 PM   #613
hejda
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I noticed that as well.

If I enter an address and select public transit before it's calculated, it works fine.

If I enter an address with driving selected, then try and switch to public transit with the tab on the bottom right, it says transit directions are not available, which is clearly not the case.

I can only imagine this is a bug, but if it is I'm surprised such an obvious one made it through testing.
hejda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:28 AM   #614
sshhoott
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgladding View Post
Or maybe there are legitimate reasons why it's not included for the iPhone 4. Your second point is performance related. It could be performance, it could be data usage, it could be other things. Why do the requirements have anything to do with Apple at all?
Yeah I agree that the navigation and 3d part is going to be choppy on iPhone 4. But even when using the app in "Normal" mode (similar to iOS 5 Google Maps), its really choppy compared to iOS 5 Google Maps on iPhone 4. At least it should be smooth in 2d, but its not.
sshhoott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:45 AM   #615
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshhoott View Post
Yeah I agree that the navigation and 3d part is going to be choppy on iPhone 4. But even when using the app in "Normal" mode (similar to iOS 5 Google Maps), its really choppy compared to iOS 5 Google Maps on iPhone 4. At least it should be smooth in 2d, but its not.
The new Google Map uses vector graphics while the old one was plain bitmap. The former is much more CPU intensive than simply displaying a bitmap picture.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:39 AM   #616
iMestr
macrumors newbie

No Google Maps in the App Store

I thought Google Maps' release was international but I still can't find Google Maps in the Slovenian App Store. =( Guess I'll just have to create US or UK account. =)
iMestr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:01 AM   #617
DMSWE
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson0719 View Post
Still like Apple Maps better. It's more integrated within the OS (Siri, contacts, lock screen)

Never had a problem with Apple Maps and really don't think it is bad as most of you make it seem. Goodnight.
This is just so tiresome and has been repeated again and again...

It's fantastic that Apple Maps works for you, but it is virtually useless for some of us. This is not an opinion, it's a fact. Don't you think the bolded part kind of gave you a clue?

If you're not a driver in the US, chances are that you're way better of with a third party offering. I know I am, even though I miss the deep integration of a native app.
DMSWE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:12 AM   #618
satchow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSWE View Post
This is just so tiresome and has been repeated again and again...

It's fantastic that Apple Maps works for you, but it is virtually useless for some of us. This is not an opinion, it's a fact. Don't you think the bolded part kind of gave you a clue?

If you're not a driver in the US, chances are that you're way better of with a third party offering. I know I am, even though I miss the deep integration of a native app.
I'm sorry it upsets you that some people don't have a problem with Apple Maps.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:18 AM   #619
Domalais
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsWelshy View Post
No Thanks,

Very happy with Apple Maps, and my data doesn't get mined.
Your data doesn't get mined?

Someone clearly doesn't understand where traffic data comes from.
Domalais is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #620
psywzrd
macrumors 68030

I downloaded and installed Google Maps on my iphone 5 today and I'm experiencing something that makes it virtually unusable for me. Whenever the app tells me to make a turn, it sends the command to my car's speakers via bluetooth. That's great and all but the problem is that by the time the command is sent to the speakers, I miss like 95% of the command. For example, if the command is "Turn right ahead onto Main Street", all I hear is "Street".

I guess what's happening is that the app is announcing the command but the audio is getting lost during the process of being sent to my car's speakers. It's useless to the point where I actually had to turn off the voice portion of the app. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Anyone else experiencing this?
psywzrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:35 AM   #621
melendezest
macrumors 6502a

I love that by Apple playing hardball, we now get choice. Otherwise, we would've been stuck with no turn-by-turns, etc.

Haven't installed yet, but then I'd had no need, as Maps has worked for me thus far (and I rarely need turn-by-turn) on the fly.

I usually Google directions first and see where I need to go before I jump in the car..

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:18 AM   #622
Idefix
macrumors 6502

And here's a little bit of humor from Andy Ihnatko:

"The jury’s still out on the whole Mayan Calendar Rollover bug, but you can now rest assured that good old Google Maps, the service that powered the iPhone’s Maps app from the debut of the device through this summer, is now back on your favorite phone."

"I can only imagine what a load I’ve just lifted off your mind. I mean, what if the world ends, and instead of being led to the safety of the Cavern of Tears near the Lake of Fire, where the righteous will gather to await salvation, iOS 6 Maps misdirected you to the Old Country Buffet in Pittsfield, Massachusetts? Their mac and cheese may be to die for, but for an entree good enough to risk dying in a state of perpetual woe, you’d probably prefer to visit Sarita’s Macaroni & Cheese in the East Village."

http://www.suntimes.com/business/169...-goodness.html
Idefix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:13 PM   #623
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Now just fix your ugly Google Maps logo!!!!!
Razeus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:31 PM   #624
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Now just fix your ugly Google Maps logo!!!!!
I think it looks rather nice. Better than Apple's that makes you drive off a bridge.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:57 PM   #625
vikingjunior
macrumors 6502

I'm sure Google Chrome will be available in the app store next.
vikingjunior is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion