Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

///M Powah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Hawaii, US
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's not like manufacturers just throw clearcoat over the base layer and sell it- white cars go through exactly the same processes a black car does.

All of the cars I've looked at have least black & white as a no cost option (some have nonmetallic silver/red/etc available too). Some colors cost more due to their metallic qualities, not because it's a different color.

I've got a Glacier White S4 as well :) I seem to have a thing for white cars, yet I prefer black gadgets.

White cars are nice but now I prefer white gadgets instead of black gadgets now lol.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
I went with black since I liked the two tone waaaaay better than the white two tone. Idk with white it looked more girly to me. With black I feel like it accentuates the new design better too.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
That is because they tend to be cheaper, all cars are white first... It is the base paint... Then, after the base paint, they become black, red, yellow or whatever...
Nothing to do with choice of iPhone colour though...;)

Not all primers are white and not all cars have primer in the first place. I have heard though, but don't know if it's true, that paints are based white and then colorant is added. However, that's a bit different from what you are saying.

As the owner of a black painted car I can assure you that it's no better. In fact, after this experience, and after it showing the slightest scratches, dust, dimples, etc., I will NEVER get a black car again.

///M Powah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Hawaii, US
I went with black since I liked the two tone waaaaay better than the white two tone. Idk with white it looked more girly to me. With black I feel like it accentuates the new design better too.

Black and White are natural colors so it is not girly, guys can use white too.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I'm a guy and a sophomore and college and I chose the white one. I had a black iPhone 4 and black iPad 2, 3 and 4. Besides it being time for a change, I liked the white one better because it looks nice. I really like the 'aluminum' to it and love the two tone, the black one just looks plain on the back so its something nice to look at. Whenever i put it down on the table, I put it face down so I and others can mask in its glory.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Male here...I first had the black/slate but it was pretty blah to me after awhile. I recently picked up the white and it's just stunning in person. Love the mirrored tapered edges and it just has that classic iPod/iMac "Apple feel" to it.

Sounds silly, but all my furniture is black and I could never see my phone on any table in my house :eek:

Lightning cable is white and matches nicely too

I like minimal looking cases for my phone and the case I got off eBay keeps the look of the phone, I can place the phone down anywhere, and not worry about scratching the back.

Attachments

• DSC_1017.JPG
    DSC_1017.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_1018.JPG
    DSC_1018.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 117

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I've always had black and was all set to order the white for the iPhone 5. The more I started to think about it though, I liked the way the screen disappears when off on the black, so I ultimately went for the black version. I'm happy with it, but I'm sure I would have got used to the white.

///M Powah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Hawaii, US
Male here...I first had the black/slate but it was pretty blah to me after awhile. I recently picked up the white and it's just stunning in person. Love the mirrored tapered edges and it just has that classic iPod/iMac "Apple feel" to it.

Sounds silly, but all my furniture is black and I could never see my phone on any table in my house :eek:

Lightning cable is white and matches nicely too

I like minimal looking cases for my phone and the case I got off eBay keeps the look of the phone, I can place the phone down anywhere, and not worry about scratching the back.

What case is that?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I prefer the white iPhone over the black iPhone. The white feels sleeker and more "Apple-like"; the black iPhone looks kind of bland and normal.

That said I have and use both. My white iPhone 5 I use with my US number and roam; the black iPhone 5 handles local phone duties (using whatever local SIM card when I travel).

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
No edge protection. Meh.

What do you mean no edge protection? It protects the corners and side just fine...don't know too many snap cases that protect the top and bottom. Plus snap cases like this make it extremely easy to press the power button and plus in any size headphones and lightning cables.

I haven't found a full protection case that makes the power button easy to press...all are too stiff

My opinion of course

///M Powah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Hawaii, US
No edge protection. Meh.

Yes, it does protect it because I dropped my iPhone 4 last year similar to that case and it did not crack or had any scratches and that's why I recommend it so that's why I'm trying to buy this case to protect my iPhone 5, unfortunately it does not ship to my location so I had to email the seller and waiting for response now.

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
Black for me, partly as I've never been into white gadgets, just a personal preference.

Also though, never liked the white surround on the front of the iPhones, seems to make the screen seem smaller. Also like how it looks like an all black panel when it's off on the black iPhones.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I think both white and black iPhone 5's are sexy. I have the black and my wife has the white model. Why we picked those colors? I'd say preference. Can't go wrong with either color IMO. However... there is one thing that my eyes can't stop looking at on the white model... is that 1/32" black line border between the viewable screen and the white bezel... but it isn't a show stopper. The black model hides that 1/32" black line a little better... so my eyes don't notice it that much when looking pictures or watching movies.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I wanted the White but Apple decided not to export White iPhones with over 16 GB to my country :rolleyes:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Don't have an iphone5 yet... Generally I only drive black cars and use black phones; it looks sexier, more powerful, conveys authority and respect. I like to be taken serious perceive a "powerful" image... I LOVE driving a black car; it gets dirty fast but I feel "powerful" driving it, like people take me seriously and give me more respect. It's probably all in my head but as long as it makes me "feel" that way then why not?

However, from what I've been reading black iphone5 shows scratches faster which is the only reason why I am leaning towards white... however, aesthetically black looks better.

Look at Presidents and Prime Ministers; do they drive white cars? No, they always get chauffeured in black cars because it looks more "official" and "prestigious". I want to be taken seriously. Nothing looks more powerful than a black Benz or BMW.... However, I don't want a scratched up iphone so I still have to consider white...

Authority conveys a sense of authority. I've seen elementary school kids in my city with black iPhones so I don't think people are gonna respect you more because you have one.

I think both phones look great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.