Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I'm using iFlick to convert an .avi movie to .mov. It looks like iFlick is doing everything correctly. I can even see the album cover after I finish the convert. The issue is that I'm not able to watch the movie or even move it to itunes (which is the goal) so I can later on watch it on Apple TV. Am I missing something? I did a search and some some discussions about iflick, but nothing specific came up about this issue.

bluewooster

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you but would like to add that I have been using the same workflow for a year now (makeMKV to handbrake and then Subler for subtitles and tagging) and, just lately, I can't import them into iTunes. They are playable in QuickTime but iTunes won't touch them. It just seems to be my newly ripped movies (past month) that aren't recognized. The older ones can be added.

Has something changed in the default settings of any of these programs or iTunes? Is anyone else having trouble? (I'm using Apple TV 3 preset)

veda kruthi

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
iFlick is now bit old version you are having much more better versions in the market, why dont you go for those software's? you are also provided tiler versions in there you can also try that.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you but would like to add that I have been using the same workflow for a year now (makeMKV to handbrake and then Subler for subtitles and tagging) and, just lately, I can't import them into iTunes. They are playable in QuickTime but iTunes won't touch them. It just seems to be my newly ripped movies (past month) that aren't recognized. The older ones can be added.

Has something changed in the default settings of any of these programs or iTunes? Is anyone else having trouble? (I'm using Apple TV 3 preset)

I am using the same workflow as you and am having no problem adding files to iTunes.

Versions:
MakeMKV: 0.7.8
Handbrake: 0.9.8
Subler: 0.18

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I am using the same workflow as you and am having no problem adding files to iTunes.

Versions:
MakeMKV: 0.7.8
Handbrake: 0.9.8
Subler: 0.18

Does Handbrake do everything? How come you have other applications like MakeKV and Subler, what do they do? Also is Handbrake free? I'm using a trial software now that seems ok, but takes a long time to convert about 45 min for a movie thats about 1.5 hours.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Does Handbrake do everything? How come you have other applications like MakeKV and Subler, what do they do? Also is Handbrake free? I'm using a trial software now that seems ok, but takes a long time to convert about 45 min for a movie thats about 1.5 hours.
MakeMKV does an excellent job of decrypting and creating a "full quality" backup file.

Handbrake does an excellent job of transcoding the mkv to mp4.

Subler does an excellent job of adding metadata to the mp4 and, if needed (rare) various track modification.

All 3 are free. Yes, it takes a long time to do a high quality transcode.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm having the same problem.

I have Handbrake output set to AppleTV3 preset. This used to import just fine into iTunes 10.

I "upgraded" to iTunes 11 recently and now the M4V files will not import into my library. I click the import function, select the file, click OK, and nothing happens. No report of success, no error, and no import.

Any ideas?

DarkGiftRadio

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Carlstadt, New Jersey
I'm having the same issue, I've used RipIt to convert over two dozen movies which are still showing in my library, then when I upgraded to iTunes11 it seems that the new Rip's I'm performing will not load up into iTunes, I drag them over as I have done in the past and nothing. Any ideas anyone??

Penquin79

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Thought I had the same issue with Hanbrake but discovered iTunes was importing them just into Home Movies instead of Movies. Look there. The latest version of Handbrake fixed the issue.

PIX

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I'm having the same problem.

I have Handbrake output set to AppleTV3 preset. This used to import just fine into iTunes 10.

I "upgraded" to iTunes 11 recently and now the M4V files will not import into my library. I click the import function, select the file, click OK, and nothing happens. No report of success, no error, and no import.

Any ideas?

That's strange? I verified that this is working by dropping an M4V into iTunes 11.0.1 without issue. FYI: iTunes is compatible with MOV, M4V, MP4 because these formats are basically the same. Try renaming a MP4 to M4V or vise versa. I personally prefer MP4 so I have made this the default in Handbrake preference;)

Here is a simple video tutorial I created on trancoding/adding videos to iTunes 11:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua8Rh9BVmUU

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
That's strange? I verified that this is working by dropping an M4V into iTunes 11.0.1 without issue. FYI: iTunes is compatible with MOV, M4V, MP4 because these formats are basically the same. Try renaming a MP4 to M4V or vise versa. I personally prefer MP4 so I have made this the default in Handbrake preference;)

Here is a simple video tutorial I created on trancoding/adding videos to iTunes 11:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua8Rh9BVmUU

Most likely the import was just fine and what was really happening is that the imported file was being placed in the Home Movies folder (a place that was new to iTunes 11 and which nobody thinks to look). Can't begin to tell you how many people I have helped with this exact issue by telling them to look in the Home Movies folder. Also, just after iTunes 11 was introduced, most of the metadata taggers were slow to incorporate the new media type. I think most of them now work correctly.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Most likely the import was just fine and what was really happening is that the imported file was being placed in the Home Movies folder (a place that was new to iTunes 11 and which nobody thinks to look). Can't begin to tell you how many people I have helped with this exact issue by telling them to look in the Home Movies folder. Also, just after iTunes 11 was introduced, most of the metadata taggers were slow to incorporate the new media type. I think most of them now work correctly.

Yep, that is exactly what happened to me.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
A movie goes into the home video section if it doesn't have a genre selected

In itunes right click the movie/get info & select a genre

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have to say, I'm pretty unhappy with iTunes 11. Granted with any UI change I know there is a period of adjustment while I get used to it. But it's been quite a while now and I still feel practically crippled when trying to use it.

Snelette

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
files not in home videos in itunes

I have always gotten my ripped movies from Home Videos in iTunes and moved them to the Movies folder via Get Info. But for the last 5 movies, they have not gone in to Home Videos. I can't drag the .dvdmedia file into iTunes either. It just won't go. It's as if it is already in there but I just can't find it. Anyone have any ideas what might have happened or how to locate the movies in iTunes? TIA :)

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I can't drag the .dvdmedia file into iTunes either. It just won't go. It's as if it is already in there but I just can't find it.
It would and should not go.
.dvdmedia is not a file, it's a folder (aka bundle/package) and contains DVD filesystem, meaning a MPEG-2 encoded movie split into 1GB sized files. Basically, it is a DVD rip, presented as a package by Finder.
As the things stand now (IMHO), iTunes only supports MPEG-4 Part 10 (aka AVC, H.264) encoded movies in mp4/m4v container files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.