Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:49 AM   #1
wildatheart
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Hybrid or SSD conundrum

Hi Everyone

I have an early '11 17" Unibody with an optibay caddy. I am a photographer and my main activity is Lightroom, and I am looking for the best compromise of speed & storage. My Home folder is 500Gb without any of my work; I use the optibay to store my Lightroom images.

Current setup;
HD Bay: SATA3 Seagate Momentus 750Gb Hybrid; System, Apps, Home folder
Optibay: SATA2 Hitachi 500GB 7200rpm; Lightroom images

considering;
HD Bay: SATA3 Samsung 830 128Gb SSD; System, Apps
Optibay: SATA2 Samsung 1Tb 5400rpm; partition 1 600Gb Home folder, partition 2 400Gb Lightroom images



PS. Lightroom speed seems to be mostly limited by processing power, rather than read/write speeds

many thanks for any thoughts
wildatheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Blue604
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildatheart View Post
Hi Everyone

I have an early '11 17" Unibody with an optibay caddy. I am a photographer and my main activity is Lightroom, and I am looking for the best compromise of speed & storage. My Home folder is 500Gb without any of my work; I use the optibay to store my Lightroom images.

Current setup;
HD Bay: SATA3 Seagate Momentus 750Gb Hybrid; System, Apps, Home folder
Optibay: SATA2 Hitachi 500GB 7200rpm; Lightroom images

considering;
HD Bay: SATA3 Samsung 830 128Gb SSD; System, Apps
Optibay: SATA2 Samsung 1Tb 5400rpm; partition 1 600Gb Home folder, partition 2 400Gb Lightroom images



PS. Lightroom speed seems to be mostly limited by processing power, rather than read/write speeds

many thanks for any thoughts
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1504919

from what the op of the above said, he noticed huge improvement from 5400rpm to hybrid, not so much from hybrid to ssd. And also you are going from 7200rpm to 5400rpm in optical bay. I am not sure overall if you will notice significant speed. Perhaps getting WD 750GB 7200rpm instead of 1TB?

I have 2009 MBP 13", and I am using M4 512GB + WD 750GB 7200RPM (optical). I don't use light room, but i use Aperture a lot. My Aperture library is around 300GB(30,000+ photos), and I put them on main SSD. Much smoother than when they were in WD 750GB 7200RPM.
Blue604 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:19 AM   #3
wildatheart
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue604 View Post
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1504919

I have 2009 MBP 13", and I am using M4 512GB + WD 750GB 7200RPM (optical). I don't use light room, but i use Aperture a lot. My Aperture library is around 300GB(30,000+ photos), and I put them on main SSD. Much smoother than when they were in WD 750GB 7200RPM.
Interesting; so perhaps I should consider this;

HD Bay: SATA3 Samsung 830 512Gb SSD: partition 1 System, Apps; partition 2 Lightroom catalog + images
Optibay: SATA2 WD 750Gb 7200rpm; User Folder
wildatheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:09 AM   #4
NewishMacGuy
macrumors 6502a
 
NewishMacGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildatheart View Post
Interesting; so perhaps I should consider this;

HD Bay: SATA3 Samsung 830 512Gb SSD: partition 1 System, Apps; partition 2 Lightroom catalog + images
Optibay: SATA2 WD 750Gb 7200rpm; User Folder
That'll probably be best for raw speed (short of putting a 512GB SATA II SSD in the optibay as well), but it'll be pricey, borderline more pricey than its worth to upgrade a 2011.

I would probably stick with:

SATA III 256GB SSD + SATA II 750GB 7200rpm & DIY FUD

or the somewhat radical suggestion

Keep the MoXT where it is + 256GB SATA II SSD in optibay & DIY FUD
__________________
2010 i3 iMac-21.5 | 2011 uMBP-15 | 2011 uMBP-13 | iBookG4-12 | 2x ATV 1G | 2x iPhone 1G | 2x iPhone 3GS | 2x iPhone 4S | iPhone 5s | 2x iPod 5.5G | iPod Photo | iPod 2G | 2x iPad 3
NewishMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:41 AM   #5
wildatheart
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewishMacGuy View Post
That'll probably be best for raw speed (short of putting a 512GB SATA II SSD in the optibay as well), but it'll be pricey, borderline more pricey than its worth to upgrade a 2011.

I would probably stick with:

SATA III 256GB SSD + SATA II 750GB 7200rpm & DIY FUD

or the somewhat radical suggestion

Keep the MoXT where it is + 256GB SATA II SSD in optibay & DIY FUD
Thanks for your thoughts - what's DIY FUD (I've had an indulgent night so brain not very sharp..)?

The 256GB SATA in optibay is interesting - it begs the question which is more effective;

System on SSD SATAII and the User folder at SATAIII

or System on SSD SATAIII and User folder at SATAII?

Last edited by wildatheart; Dec 13, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
wildatheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:17 AM   #6
NewishMacGuy
macrumors 6502a
 
NewishMacGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildatheart View Post
Thanks for your thoughts - what's DIY FUD (I've had an indulgent night so brain not very sharp..)?

The 256GB SATA in optibay is interesting - it begs the question which is more effective;

System on SSD SATAII and the User folder at SATAIII

or System on SSD SATAIII and User folder at SATAII?
DIY FUD = do-it-yourself Fusion Drive

And a DIY FUD would obviate the need to manage what goes where as the OS will do it for you.

http://tomasz.korwel.net/2012/11/04/...0-macbook-pro/
__________________
2010 i3 iMac-21.5 | 2011 uMBP-15 | 2011 uMBP-13 | iBookG4-12 | 2x ATV 1G | 2x iPhone 1G | 2x iPhone 3GS | 2x iPhone 4S | iPhone 5s | 2x iPod 5.5G | iPod Photo | iPod 2G | 2x iPad 3
NewishMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:53 PM   #7
wildatheart
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Thanks again - the FUD looks a little too 'beta' to me to use professionally (though I may be wrong) and I like having all my LR images in one partition; easy to back up.

So I come back to

HD Bay: SATA3 Samsung 830 512Gb SSD: partition 1 System, Apps; partition 2 Lightroom catalog + images
Optibay: SATA2 WD 750Gb 7200rpm; User Folder

Pricey, as you say - so the question is, whether in day-to-day Lightroom editing I'll notice a difference vs. my current setup

HD Bay: SATA3 Seagate Momentus 750Gb Hybrid; System, Apps, Home folder
Optibay: SATA2 Hitachi 500GB 7200rpm; Lightroom images

Last edited by wildatheart; Dec 13, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
wildatheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:00 PM   #8
MaxPower72
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago, Illinois, Crooks County
SSD all the way
__________________
Macbook Pro 15.4" i7 Quad. 2.7 Ghz. 16 Gb RAM, SSD Samsung 830 1 Tb Raid 0
Macbook Pro 13.3" Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz. 8 GB RAM, 250 Gb HDD
iPod Touch 4 gen 64 GB iPhone 4S 16 GB
My iWife
MaxPower72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Orlandoech.com
macrumors 68030
 
Orlandoech.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
SSD for sure.
Orlandoech.com is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:06 PM   #10
NewishMacGuy
macrumors 6502a
 
NewishMacGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildatheart View Post
Thanks again - the FUD looks a little too 'beta' to me to use professionally (though I may be wrong) and I like having all my LR images in one partition; easy to back up.

So I come back to

HD Bay: SATA3 Samsung 830 512Gb SSD: partition 1 System, Apps; partition 2 Lightroom catalog + images
Optibay: SATA2 WD 750Gb 7200rpm; User Folder

Pricey, as you say - so the question is, whether in day-to-day Lightroom editing I'll notice a difference vs. my current setup

HD Bay: Momentus 750 XT: System, Apps, User Folder
Optibay: Hitachi 500Gb: Lightroom images
Some difference I'm sure, but you'll probably be surprised by how little difference you feel. I'd be willing to bet that a large portion of the system files and apps that you use regularly are cached in the 8GB flash on the MoXT. Your Lightroom catalog will load faster for sure though.

Apple does the same thing to enable its own FUDs and creating a single core storage volume from two drives is not new so the tech is not "Beta." That the OS automatically shuttles the info between the two drives is new to the OS surely, but I don't see how that threatens your data safety if you regularly back up to a TM (which I'm sure that you do). But then again, I'm no expert.
__________________
2010 i3 iMac-21.5 | 2011 uMBP-15 | 2011 uMBP-13 | iBookG4-12 | 2x ATV 1G | 2x iPhone 1G | 2x iPhone 3GS | 2x iPhone 4S | iPhone 5s | 2x iPod 5.5G | iPod Photo | iPod 2G | 2x iPad 3
NewishMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:52 PM   #11
wildatheart
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Many thanks for your input - much appreciated. I use Superduper for my image backups - quick & easy & automatic when I can point Superduper to a particular partition that holds my images.
wildatheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:23 PM   #12
richnyc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC
I wouldn't use Fusion drive yet. If one drive goes bad, the whole thing goes bad. I prefer to keep things separate. It doesn't require that much work and it seems from your writeup that you are use to it...

I like the config you are considering but would try to get a SSD with at least 256GB, or even 500-512GB, if you are willing to spring for it. For 256GB, I'll be looking at Sammy 830 models, for the 500GB, I'd like the new 840 (non-Pro) model, just because it is bigger bang for your $$$ than either 830 or 840 Pro.
__________________
MBP9,2 (16GB RAM, 768GB SSD); iPhone5s 16GB
richnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:56 AM   #13
wildatheart
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by richnyc View Post
I wouldn't use Fusion drive yet. If one drive goes bad, the whole thing goes bad. I prefer to keep things separate.
My thoughts exactly - many thanks for the feedback
wildatheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC