Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfo43

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
You should put together a program for this with multiple color options and a option to turn off and on reflections.It would probably be very difficult but worth it.

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Multiple color options: impossible.
Turning off reflections: easy, should've thought of that lol.

deserter

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
Reflections

Would it be too difficult for you to make 2 modifications in the program so that 1) We can have Black Dock with NO REFLECTIONS, AND
2) Default Mountain Lion Dock with NO REFLECTIONS again ?

Thank you for ALL YOUR HELP SO FAR. Without your nice thinking it would be pretty much impossible for us (With zero programming knowledge) to do any of this Dock Hacking :)

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Would it be too difficult for you to make 2 modifications in the program so that 1) We can have Black Dock with NO REFLECTIONS, AND
2) Default Mountain Lion Dock with NO REFLECTIONS again ?

Thank you for ALL YOUR HELP SO FAR. Without your nice thinking it would be pretty much impossible for us (With zero programming knowledge) to do any of this Dock Hacking :)

Yes that is possible and something that I plan to do. It's finals week this week, so I have been otherwise occupied.

Again, I'm glad it works for most of you and that you enjoy it.

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
New version of the program, that handles the features requested. You can find it in the first post.

Also, this version does not require codesign_allocate, Xcode, or anything else to be installed. I decided to go the route of removing the signature rather than just resigning it with a self-signed certificate. It has zero dependencies on any other code.

It will now seamlessly change between black and grey docks, with and without reflections. There is also logic that will (hopefully) prevent people from messing up their system, but as always, don't count on that.

use it like this:
Code:
sudo dockmod -c black -r

sudo dockmod -c default -r

just drop the -r if you want the icon reflections.

The color options are "black" and "default" for the -c option, and the -r option will disable icon reflections.

Last edited:

richardsim7

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Code:
Richs-Mac-Pro:~ Rich$ sudo /Users/Rich/Downloads/dockmod -c black
Invalid Dock version.

:confused:

EDIT: I'm still on 10.8.1 - that could explain it

deserter

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
When I insert the command with the option "black" or "grey" it works flawlessly without the need of codesign_allocate or XCode :p Congrats unsanity77 for making it terribly simple :)

Though, for me, the option "default" gives me the output
[invalid color specified: default]

And except this, when I insert the [-r] argument at the end of the code(with either black or grey) I get :
[dockmod: option requires an argument -- r]
and the NoReflection option does not apply to the dock.

Am I missing something ?

Thank you, for all your help so far, unsanity77

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Oh my gosh! I love this, looks so cool with my MacBook Pro's bezel. The app works perfect in Terminal.

For anyone that doesn't know how to use Terminal, just write sudo and drag the dockmod app to the Terminal, then the commands and hit enter.

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Though, for me, the option "default" gives me the output
[invalid color specified: default]

And except this, when I insert the [-r] argument at the end of the code(with either black or grey) I get :
[dockmod: option requires an argument -- r]
and the NoReflection option does not apply to the dock.

If there's a problem, always try downloading the latest version in the first post. In this case, both of those problems have been fixed.

deserter

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
Now everything worked like a charm!
Thank you so much for making those modifications I asked you so quickly!

jfo43

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
It looks great but my dock looks a little wierd.
Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 2.36.59 PM.png

turkington

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
You da man! :D

unsanity77 you are THE BEST!

Thank you so much. I am a complete newbie when it comes to code and I managed to so this. Incredibly easy.

Been dying for a black dock. Was given the impression it was impossible. So much awesomeness!
Its just how it was meant to be.

Very very much appreciated and thanks again! :D

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Thank you very much.

To help others out, point them here. I'll keep the program updated for as long as I can, and if there comes a time when I can no longer update it, I'll release the source code and let someone else take over.

jfo43

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
No I mean the dock has a different shape. [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 2.36.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 2.36.59 PM.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 301
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 6.50.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 6.50.23 PM.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 258

Dafnos3

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
NYC
thanks unsanity77! took me a few tries but i got it to work. looks great!! :D

Last edited:

deserter

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
A little bit off-topic here, but I would really like to ask you something unsanity77.

In your first post u included a tutorial of making the dock black MANUALLY.

Inside the .txt file u had a screenshot attached.

What I would really want to learn is:

1) How did you manage to change the color of your menubar ?

[Before Lion I knew that you could do this with Themepark 4.1 ,(Modifying the SartFile.bin [In which the resource for the menubar color resides])). But from Lion onwards the Developer didn't update the app so you couldn't use it.

You could however use the Themepark 3.1 app (and u still can in Mountain Lion. For some reason it is surprisingly running, though it is crashing occasionaly) to modify ANY .rsrc file(Like Extras.rsrc) or the color of the LETTERS on the menubar(Which I did).

But to modify the color of the letters on the menubar,the color of the letters of the dropdown menus on the menubar OR the color of the letters of the DOCK menus is pretty useless for me if you can't modify the actual color of the menubar :p

I already know that there are themes like "levantinlynx_10_8_10_8_2_mountainlion_menu_bar_by_levantinlynx" but I am REALLY interested in a way of doing this MANUALLY so I can modify everything in photoshop (like I did before Lion) according to my liking and use it later for customization of many things including the menubar :p

2) Is the font in the dropdown menus on the menubar different in your screenshot than the default used in Mountain Lion ? (I think so) . And, if so, How did u manage to change ONLY the font of the dropdown menus on the menubar ? Is there any way that I can do this Globally ? (So that every thing on my Mac can use the e.g. Helvetica Nueue Font :p)

I don't want to eat much of your precious time so please when you find some time give me a brief answer in those 2 questions.

THANK YOU for all your help so far and sorry for my bad English :p

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
deserter, I honestly don't know about the menu bar. I just used the LeviantLynx installer to get it... sorry!

jfo43

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
http://levantinlynx.com/

download the menubar and install for a new menubar.Also install Istat menus (just use utorrent) for clock.

May I also recommend logonox to change logon screen and mountain tweaks to change other options.

Last edited:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Oh my gosh! I love this, looks so cool with my MacBook Pro's bezel. The app works perfect in Terminal.

For anyone that doesn't know how to use Terminal, just write sudo and drag the dockmod app to the Terminal, then the commands and hit enter.

Did that and terminal didn't recognize it. What you have to do is write the whole sudo command and then drag in the zip file. then hit enter. Once you do that it will say how sudo is dangerous and you know its right.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Great work! The new version fixed the graphical issues from previous revisions such as the menubar changing/becoming inactive. Works great on 10.8.2 and the recent 10.8.3 beta release.

Jmx

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2006
unsanity77, Thanks for the program.

Apple should have included some options for changing the dock, at least a light and dark option.

Your black dock looks way better than the original light grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.