Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:11 AM   #1
KozzieH
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Why is it so slow?

Hello everyone!

I got my iMac 21.5 for a few months ago, and I downloaded around +2000 fonts on it .. so, thats what makes it slow? e.e The worst thing is that I canít open the Font-box, and so I canít delete them! I tired when I saw it got so slow, but, then I was afraid that I were going to delete some of the fonts that already was on the computer!

Any ideas?
KozzieH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KozzieH View Post
Hello everyone!

I got my iMac 21.5 for a few months ago, and I downloaded around +2000 fonts on it .. so, thats what makes it slow? e.e The worst thing is that I can’t open the Font-box, and so I can’t delete them! I tired when I saw it got so slow, but, then I was afraid that I were going to delete some of the fonts that already was on the computer!

Any ideas?
Under the collection tab in Font Book, there's a list - All Fonts, Computer, and User.

All your added fonts are under User.

As for slowness, I don't think it's that (I have loads of fonts too). I think you might have some other issues. Have you installed any apps? Might check out Activity Monitor (under Utilities).
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:34 PM   #3
KozzieH
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Under the collection tab in Font Book, there's a list - All Fonts, Computer, and User.

All your added fonts are under User.

As for slowness, I don't think it's that (I have loads of fonts too). I think you might have some other issues. Have you installed any apps? Might check out Activity Monitor (under Utilities).
Well, thank you for telling me that it wasnít the fonts that slowed down my computer. Unknownly my iPhoto wonít even pop up, like the whole file is removed.. somehow? Mabye anything about that?
KozzieH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KozzieH View Post
Well, thank you for telling me that it wasnít the fonts that slowed down my computer. Unknownly my iPhoto wonít even pop up, like the whole file is removed.. somehow? Mabye anything about that?
Try going into Disk Utility (under the Utilities folder), click Macintosh HD, and do a Repair Disk Permissions and Verify/Repair Disk and then restart the machine. Sounds like you have a permissions issue.

If that doesn't help, we'll look through your logs next.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:09 AM   #5
KozzieH
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Try going into Disk Utility (under the Utilities folder), click Macintosh HD, and do a Repair Disk Permissions and Verify/Repair Disk and then restart the machine. Sounds like you have a permissions issue.

If that doesn't help, we'll look through your logs next.
Well, Iíll do that.. but, also, a weird thing.. When I open my Font Book, it only loading, loading and loading! I got over 2000 fonts, but still it only stays at 1 657! But, yeah, it might get fixed by repairing! Thank you
KozzieH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Satori
macrumors 6502a
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by KozzieH View Post
When I open my Font Book, it only loading, loading and loading! I got over 2000 fonts, but still it only stays at 1 657!
It might help to delete your fonts cache (in case this is corrupted and affecting the performance of other applications):

- Launch Terminal (from /Applications/Utilities)

- Enter the following command at the prompt and press Return: sudo atsutil databases -remove

- Restart your computer immediately
Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:23 AM   #7
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
It could also be corrupted fonts.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:36 AM   #8
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Given that iPhoto won't load as well, i'd be checking the disk for errors.
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Satori
macrumors 6502a
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
It could also be corrupted fonts.
Yep - could be that too.

OP: If repairing permissions and clearing out the font cache doesn't help, try using FontBook to disable all of your user installed fonts and restart. If your problems disappear at this point then you know you have a corrupt font amongst those that you have added.

To find the problematic font(s), re-enable fonts a few at a time to determine which is causing the problem. If the problem doesn't recur after adding a group, then re-enable another small group of font files. If the problem does recur, one of the font files you just added could be the cause. Disable the font files, and add them back one at a time. Restart the computer each time until you find the particular font file that causes the problem.
Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:02 AM   #10
aarond12
macrumors 6502a
 
aarond12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Why do you need 2,000 fonts loaded all at the same time!? Even production desktop publishing shops don't have ALL the fonts loaded at once. Of course your system will be operating slowly.
__________________
Voted "Most likely to start his own cult" by my high school class.
aarond12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:06 AM   #11
KozzieH
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarond12 View Post
Why do you need 2,000 fonts loaded all at the same time!? Even production desktop publishing shops don't have ALL the fonts loaded at once. Of course your system will be operating slowly.
Haha, I know it looks stupid, but, are you a graphic designer? .. I know it a bit "too" much, but, yeah .. ahaha
KozzieH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:11 AM   #12
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Yep - could be that too.

OP: If repairing permissions and clearing out the font cache doesn't help, try using FontBook to disable all of your user installed fonts and restart. If your problems disappear at this point then you know you have a corrupt font amongst those that you have added.

To find the problematic font(s), re-enable fonts a few at a time to determine which is causing the problem. If the problem doesn't recur after adding a group, then re-enable another small group of font files. If the problem does recur, one of the font files you just added could be the cause. Disable the font files, and add them back one at a time. Restart the computer each time until you find the particular font file that causes the problem.
Just a note.

The best way to do this is removing half, half again and so on.

So, out of 2000 remove 1000, restart, problem gone you know it's in the ones you moved out.
Remove the 1000 above, move 500 of offending post in, restart, problem there, half it again-250 fonts out.

Back in the "Old" OS 9 days there were plenty of extension problems, the way to solve this was or buy a program or do it yourself by doing the above.

----
Fontbook also validates fonts and reports them, sadly you can't do this.
There are other programs which will repair fonts but they all cost money.

Last edited by justperry; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Satori
macrumors 6502a
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Back in the "Old" OS 9 days there were plenty of extension problems, the way to solve this was or buy a program or do it yourself by doing the above.
Ah yes - those were the days!
Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:43 PM   #14
aarond12
macrumors 6502a
 
aarond12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KozzieH View Post
Haha, I know it looks stupid, but, are you a graphic designer? .. I know it a bit "too" much, but, yeah .. ahaha
I've been a professional graphic designer since 1990, so yes, I am a graphic designer. I remember my first Macintosh "workstation" -- a Quadra with 4MB RAM. I would be lucky if that thing would allow me to have 100 fonts at a time. (Insert obligatory "get off my lawn" quote here.)
__________________
Voted "Most likely to start his own cult" by my high school class.
aarond12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aperture is extremely slow. Unbearably slow. HarryPot Digital Photography 10 Jan 31, 2014 07:50 AM
Slow motion videos only slow-mo on phone? sclawis300 iPhone 56 Oct 28, 2013 12:15 PM
Slow program startup, slow dock Ktdhc OS X Mavericks (10.9) 3 Oct 24, 2013 01:27 AM
MBA...Slow to Start...Slow to Shutdown... JoelBC OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Feb 4, 2013 10:17 PM
Slow slow MBA mid 2011 w/ ML 10.8.2 nzanne MacBook Air 3 Jan 27, 2013 03:01 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC