Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:46 PM   #26
NZed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn.8.80 View Post
And yet another advantage of the battery grip is that you get faster frames per second with most cameras too! You would have to dig the net to find out exactly how much faster your camera gets and this is dependant on the transfer speed of your card also...
We've past the film age Motordrives arent in grips anymore.
Only some(and by some i mean only one) of today's camera gets better fps with a grip, I believe.

D800 for example. Not in full frame though. And the D5000 definitely doesnt have that feature.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:36 PM   #27
monokakata
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZed View Post
We've past the film age Motordrives arent in grips anymore.
I can't resist. When I bought two of these Nikon F36 drives -- back in the 60s -- I had to send the drive and bodies out to be mated to each other. You couldn't do it yourself. Nikon would do it, and there was some famous guy in NYC whose name I can't remember, who was the preferred motor drive installer.

http://www.mir.com.my/michaeliu/came.../f36/index.htm

If you wanted to revert to regular film advance you could. Take off the F36 and use your original back.

If you wanted 4 FPS you had to lock up the mirror. I don't remember how much an F36 cost, but I'm pretty sure it was more than the body.
monokakata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:34 PM   #28
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Only some(and by some i mean only one) of today's camera gets better fps with a grip, I believe.

D800 for example. Not in full frame though. And the D5000 definitely doesnt have that feature.
From a very quick google search a second ago I can find links to the D300S, D7000 and the 7D all claiming otherwise. That was just clicking on the third link suggested by google. Common thing is that the batteries used are slightly punchier than the originals. Whether that is safe or recommended for any camera is something I've never investigated as I am just using two stock batteries in my grip.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:59 PM   #29
NZed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
From a very quick google search a second ago I can find links to the D300S, D7000 and the 7D all claiming otherwise. That was just clicking on the third link suggested by google. Common thing is that the batteries used are slightly punchier than the originals. Whether that is safe or recommended for any camera is something I've never investigated as I am just using two stock batteries in my grip.
My 7D doesnt seem to be that much faster with the grip at all! Just tried it out after reading your reply. Still the same. Two fully charged battery in one official grip. Oh well, i guess they're different.

And well, the rest are Nikons.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:17 PM   #30
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:
My 7D doesnt seem to be that much faster with the grip at all! Just tried it out after reading your reply. Still the same. Two fully charged battery in one official grip. Oh well, i guess they're different.

And well, the rest are Nikons.
Just wondering if it only happens shooting Jpegs?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:24 PM   #31
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monokakata View Post
Also, for use on AC they don't need a power cord (the prongs flip out). This makes them a lot easier to pack.
That presumes they can find an outlet free enough of obstructions that they can plug the charger in. With a charger like that, you might want to carry an extension cord if needed.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:34 AM   #32
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Just wondering if it only happens shooting Jpegs?
It shouldn't speed up at all, regardless of shooting mode, at least with Canon cameras certified to use battery grips.
Some Nikons, like the D700 as mentioned earlier by paolo, can overdrive itself using AA batteries, but those are hard to come by.
I think overdriving the shutter mechanism will reduce the shutter life of the camera as well, since it has to recock the shutter more rapidly. But that hardly matters if you take only 10,000 photos a year.

Quote:
From an extensive Google search I see that the 7D hits 8fps with the grip and standard batteries, and drops to ~7fps with unregulated AA batteries.
Again with the Nikons, you only get the fps boost with AA batteries. This applies to both D300s and D700. I am not aware of any other digital camera able to boost its burst rate with higher-than-rated voltages.

Last edited by Prodo123; Dec 13, 2012 at 01:41 AM.
Prodo123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:57 PM   #33
MBP13
macrumors 6502

I have another question that doesn't relate to the topic, but since you all know what you're talking about, I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

Do you think I'll be able to get past the airport's TSA with a larger Gorilla Pod in my backpack without question? Thanks.
MBP13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:12 PM   #34
NZed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP13 View Post
I have another question that doesn't relate to the topic, but since you all know what you're talking about, I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

Do you think I'll be able to get past the airport's TSA with a larger Gorilla Pod in my backpack without question? Thanks.
Yes.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:52 AM   #35
ctyhntr
macrumors 6502

*shucking my teeth* I would like to agree too. Just too many TSA horror stories lacking common sense like the US Senator who had his Congressional Medal of Honor confiscated because it looked like a throwing star.

Quote:
Yes.
ctyhntr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:41 AM   #36
Keleko
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyhntr View Post
*shucking my teeth* I would like to agree too. Just too many TSA horror stories lacking common sense like the US Senator who had his Congressional Medal of Honor confiscated because it looked like a throwing star.
That's not quite the right story, if this is what you mean. It was a retired general, and while they were suspicious about it, he ended up being able to carry it with him.

http://www.snopes.com/military/medal.asp
Keleko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:56 AM   #37
NZed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyhntr View Post
I've been through the US/Canada and many other airports with the tripod carried on my shoulder many times. They go through the scan, they ask what it is, if its suspicious, they open it and probably rescan it. And after all that, its just a tripod.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:16 PM   #38
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

These people have seen a lot of camera equipment and tripods, but the gorilla may peak some interest due to it's ability to twist and wrap around things. I looked it up at B&H and found THIS ONE. Maybe pack it in the box if you still have or at least take the manual or sales slip.

I flew to Michigan with a bag full of gear but no tripod with no questions asked.

Dale

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography