Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
These photos really are a great help R.OG.

By the way, would it be possible to use some kind of dual-SSD to 3.5" mounting caddy in place of the HDD? Would that work? ...I guess it would need another SATA line, wouldn't it?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Its an icy dock 2.5in to 3.5in SSD and SATA Hard Drive Converter. I used it on my mac pro to install an ssd.

Do you loose anything by adding the icydock connector rather than plugging straight in to the connector? I've always thought this may be a point of performance drag.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Is the dock needed or could one mount the SSD without it?
Great work btw - helps a lot!

No the dock is not required, you can use the metal braket that comes with some SSDs.

----------

Do you loose anything by adding the icydock connector rather than plugging straight in to the connector? I've always thought this may be a point of performance drag.

Performance is the same with the icy dock .

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Look what i found.

DSCF5708.jpg

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
Oh my, you should return the unit and ask for another one that comes in perfect condition AND clean :D

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I knew those new imacs has some super special secret tech inside. Who knew it would be contained in a human hair! :D
----------
can you zoom in on where the SSD (fusion side) would go?

So you don't see the temp sensor being an issue?

Yeroon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Its an icy dock 2.5in to 3.5in SSD and SATA Hard Drive Converter. I used it on my mac pro to install an ssd.
Interesting! It's looks even better than the HDD!

Do you think it would be possible to install an SSD without this enclosure? E.g. do you have to attach the SSD to the back of the case then?

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
I knew those new imacs has some super special secret tech inside. Who knew it would be contained in a human hair! :D
----------
can you zoom in on where the SSD (fusion side) would go?

So you don't see the temp sensor being an issue?

Yeah, no temp sensor issues but im sure it will fail AHT just like the 21.5"

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Interesting! It's looks even better than the HDD!

Do you think it would be possible to install an SSD without this enclosure? E.g. do you have to attach the SSD to the back of the case then?

You can also install the ssd with the 2.5" to 3.5" bracket in the picture below. The bracket came with my samsung SSD

photo.jpg

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Test the DNA: find out where your Mac was made. :D

----------

What size of SSDs (storage capacity) are you installing?

EDIT: Just saw that the Samsung was 128GB.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Looks like the base 27" has a socket for the blade SSDs.

DSCF5715.jpg

DSCF5714.jpg

DSCF5713.jpg

DSCF5712.jpg

DSCF5711.jpg

----------

These photos really are a great help R.OG.

By the way, would it be possible to use some kind of dual-SSD to 3.5" mounting caddy in place of the HDD? Would that work? ...I guess it would need another SATA line, wouldn't it?

The logic board only has one regular SATA data connector.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for posting all the info and pictures!

Can you tell how the mounting stand would be removed? Can it be done from the outside, or would you have to completely open the system as you have done?

I'm wondering about the possibility of replacing the stand with a VESA mount adapter.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006

Can you tell how the mounting stand would be removed? Can it be done from the outside, or would you have to completely open the system as you have done?

I'm wondering about the possibility of replacing the stand with a VESA mount adapter.

I was just going to ask this after looking at those pictures...

Almost looks like you would have to take the whole thing apart in order to get to the stand mount. After that, they would likely need to build a custom bracket since the screws all look to be on the inside unlike the previous version. But hey, people wanted thinner and lighter, so now the VESA people can join the ODD people!

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010

The stand is mounted from the inside. No more VESA mount for the new 27"

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Seriously? So there is no way to mount it on a monitor arm?

Sure there is, couple screws hold the whole mount. Then either have a custom part machined, or drill holes in the back to hold the mount once the stand is off. Either way, I think you will void your warranty. Someone will probably make an insert, but like I said, you'd be looking at removing everything to get to the inside of the mount.

Edit: R.OG was faster. :) Thanks for the pictures, by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.