Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Both benefited.

Apple gets a vastly improved, better then Droid map app.
Google gets to keep millions of customers.

Apple could not have predicted Google would make a better Maps app, but they likely did predict Google would do something, and had made some plans.

Still, Apple Maps is clearly flawed, and did hurt their reputation.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Unbelievable! So now that embarrassment was the plan all along? Give me a break:rolleyes:

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Spin.

Google didn't refuse to give Apple what they wanted. Apple and Google weren't able to reach an agreement. Apple wanted the new features. Google wanted the App to be branded Google Maps and also to integrate Lattitude.

Since neither party would concede, the rest is history.

The users got what the users wanted (mostly) - except for true OS integration. Apple didn't get anything but bad press. If Apple REALLY wanted to give its users everything Google was able to provide - they would have conceded during negotiations.

Giving Apple "credit" to this is laughable.

Forcing Latitude on people is not a reasonable concession. Sorry, it's just not. That would NOT be good for the users.

sitsonthefence

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
London, UK
There is no way that this is what apple meant to happen. People got fired as a result of their failure.

No one plans to fire people so that they encourage a competitor to create and deliver a better product than their own. No one.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
The spin is priceless.

But, isn't that exactly what happened?

1. Google's support for iOS lagged Android.
2. Apple boots Google.
3. Three months later, Google's support for iOS is better than for Android.

It seems pretty obvious that 2 was a direct cause of 3.

----------

There is no way that this is what apple meant to happen. People got fired as a result of their failure.

No one plans to fire people so that they encourage a competitor to create and deliver a better product than their own. No one.

People got fired because Apple Maps sucked. No one got fired because Google upped its iOS game.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Forcing Latitude on people is not a reasonable concession. Sorry, it's just not. That would NOT be good for the users.

For what it's worth, latitude can be disabled on android.

----------

Don't agree with this, android has offline maps and allows multiple points placed on the map via 'my maps'. I know these may be niche uses, but I enjoy them and miss them on iOS.

Granted I'm very happy with the new app.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I don't buy this one at all.

Apple always touts itself at producing the perfect products so this was nothing but a screwup. Hence Forstall leaving. Cook has admitted it.

It's nice to think that they tried to reverse psych Google and/or us, but I don't believe it.

I think they tried to pull their britches up a little too high on this one.

I will admit Maps works for me and I understand that in its infancy, maybe GoogleMaps was in the same boat, but they shouldn't have said it was going to be the be all and end all.

Cheers,
Keebler

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Who said it would be forced and that you couldn't opt out. On Android you aren't FORCED to use it?

Just like you aren't FORCED to use "find my friends"

Irrational "fear" is irrational "fear"

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
So releasing a ****** app (for a lot of people) so ****** some people didnt even bother to update to IOS 6 (me included) was all just part of a plan?

Sure and santa is real.

Apple wanted to oust google not show google is still the best . Loosing face was not part of the plan.

Its funny how many people in this thread want to beloieve the gadget maker they like cant fail.

----------

2. Apple boots Google.

Actually thats not the case, apple's implementation of a maps with cooporation from google was stalled for years. Dont forget the APP was apple's, google was nothing more then the backend . Apple was unable to get a deal with google to put more functionality in the app, so they created there own backend, and failed miserably to some extent .

That google then showed hows its done, and keep its own intrest in the game only will have stung apple all the more. If you really think apple only cares about its customers you are very very naive .

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Fanboy logic my ^%&. I've been saying this all day. Apple took one on the chin and ended up giving its consumers exactly what they wanted. I understand haters gotta hate, but sorry fellas, Google got taken to business school today. You can cry all day and maybe it wasn't planned from the get go, but prior to iOS 6 we did not have turn by turn directions and now we have two great options for it! So in the end, it looks like Apple giving a choice to its consumers.

Whats really funny, is that Google wanted more data on iOS users and tried to hold turn by turn over Apples head thinking they have to cave. Now Apple got Google to give us exactly what we all wanted and what they would NOT give AND they kicked Google maps out of the native map slot! LOL Great negotiating Google!

HAHAHA. Couldn't read it with a straight face...

mtliveson

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Boston, MA

2. Apple boots Google.

Despite what a couple articles say about the iOS/android maps apps, I would never say the iOS one is better. Why?

OS integration. Many of the features of Jelly Bean that I love are because of this integration. I search for a place online before I leave the house and its there in the maps app or the now dashboard without me asking for it.

Naturally, the interfaces will be different because of the core differences in the OS interface.

kinderdm

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
While I have trouble believing this was the plan all along I do agree that Apple comes out pretty well positioned in the end, especially when they get their own map software up to snuff as well. They now have more good choices for mapping than anyone out there and a google map (which people are loyal to every beyond apple worship) that is better than it could have ever been before. Was google played, maybe. But does google make out well from their new map, probably. Did apple plan things to happen this way all along, I have my doubts.

sitsonthefence

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
London, UK
I've just realised that I've been sucked into a debate that has no basis in fact and actually doesn't matter in the slightest.

Having said that I'm staggered that this article was written so far away from April 1.

Let's be clear, it's nice google have updated and improved their app. It's better than apples. But Apple is not a club, there for the benefit of its members, rather its a commercial enterprise looking to enhance shareholder value. How did this fiasco help that?

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
What I find ironic is after Google refused to update the original Maps app on the iPhone with turn by turn and such, presumably to get people to switch to Android, and Apple telling them to kiss off, they put up an app for the iPhone on the App Store that is...free.

If this is the case, in spite of Apple's Maps glaring shortcomings, Google clearly fought the pointless fight here.

Granted, IF this article has any merit. Which is doubtful.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
What I find ironic is after Google refused to update the original Maps app on the iPhone with turn by turn and such, presumably to get people to switch to Android, and Apple telling them to kiss off, they put up an app for the iPhone on the App Store that is...free.

If this is the case, in spite of Apple's Maps glaring shortcomings, Google clearly fought the pointless fight here.

Granted, IF this article has any merit. Which is doubtful.

:eek: you're even less informed than the quote in the original article!
Apple wrote their native maps and YouTube app, btw. They did not ask Google to update them, Apple wanted to be allowed to use turn by turn directions as well as other features available on Android. Google wanted more prominent branding and Google Latitude to be involved. Apple wouldn't budge on minor concessions so they ended up screwing the end user for a few months. Even now we are still worse off as Google Maps cannot integrate the way it previously had.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
:eek: you're even less informed than the quote in the original article!
Apple wrote their native maps and YouTube app, btw. They did not ask Google to update them, Apple wanted to be allowed to use turn by turn directions as well as other features available on Android. Google wanted more prominent branding and Google Latitude to be involved. Apple wouldn't budge on minor concessions so they ended up screwing the end user for a few months. Even now we are still worse off as Google Maps cannot integrate the way it previously had.
Did you not see the big "IF" I put in there questioning the entire validity of the damn article?

Or wait...is this some of Jimmy's TuffLuff?

Now calm your little bear self.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Did you not see the big "IF" I put in there questioning the entire validity of the damn article?

Or wait...is this some of Jimmy's TuffLuff?

Now calm your little bear self.

It was actually a normal sized if...
And IF (big if) you had read any portion of this thread or anything else on the subject you would have already known what I told you.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
It was actually a normal sized if...
And IF (big if) you had read any portion of this thread or anything else on the subject you would have already known what I told you.
You must be a barrel of fun at parties.

And "if" was "IF" from the beginning. You even quoted it in all caps.

Anyway, I'll let you have this ridiculousness. You win. You have the biggest internet penis.

vaughnfelix

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012

2. Apple boots Google.

----------

People got fired because Apple Maps sucked. No one got fired because Google upped its iOS game.

Once everyone realizes it's All Publicity. You'll all relax. Apple is really smart that headlines is king! Antenna gate! That was so hilarious How Jobs gave bumpers away for free, and people don't remember Apple for their bad iPhone 4! Hahaha ... They keep themselves relevant through everything so we can all keep talking a out them. It's show biz...

----------

Once everyone realizes it's All Publicity. You'll all relax. Apple is really smart that headlines is king! Antenna gate! That was so hilarious How Jobs gave bumpers away for free, and people don't remember apple for their bad iPhone 4! Hahaha ... They keep themselves relevant through everything so we can all keep talking a out them. It's show biz...

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
This certainly wasn't intentional, since no one makes business decisions like that based on uncertainties.

That said, I think it did work out in the end. Apple probably thought they could do better, and the last minute contingency plan was that Google and others would quickly step up. Fortstall just failed to deliver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.