Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SecRpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if there is a way to completly delete the 128 gb SSD on my Macbook Air 13 Mid 2011?

It's got a damaged logic board and fan due to water.
Though the ssd and the rest seem to be okay.

I've thought about selling it as damaged, but because of the functional ssd and the fact that the air doesn't start at all (except fan spinning like crazy) I can't get rid of my personal data.

Is there any cheap way to do so? Giving it into service isn't really an option, since the my only local apple service store would charge me ~70€, which would make the selling almost pointless.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
If you had a friend with a MBA you could just put it in and delete it. I guess you could buy an inclosure for it maybe? Or keep it as a backup for your next computer? Have you thought about selling the MBA for spare parts? Screen. Case. Battery (if it still works and holds a charge). Some online companies will still buy a damaged MBA from you. Might you might make more on eBay.

Did you have insurance on it?

SecRpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Sadly i don't know anyone with a MBA.
Buying an enclosure, would again push the profit from selling down.
Although I might ask someone, who is working for an IT firm, which isn't exactly dealing with apple stuff, but might have a fitting enclosure.

The insurance paid me already 800€ for it, would have been 900 if I didn't want the MBA back. Seeing similar damaged airs going away for 100+ on ebay, I've decided to sell it myself, rather than giving it away for a fixed price.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Sadly i don't know anyone with a MBA.
Buying an enclosure, would again push the profit from selling down.
Although I might ask someone, who is working for an IT firm, which isn't exactly dealing with apple stuff, but might have a fitting enclosure.

The insurance paid me already 800€ for it, would have been 900 if I didn't want the MBA back. Seeing similar damaged airs going away for 100+ on ebay, I've decided to sell it myself, rather than giving it away for a fixed price.

At that point keep the SSD. Sell the rest.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Very unlikely because the SSD in MBA uses a proprietary connector. Unless he specifically services MBAs or other recent Macs, he has no use for such adapter/enclosure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.