Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:58 AM   #1
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

Quickest way to attach a file to gmail?

Hi guys, are there any tools out there for attaching files quickly to gmail?

Such as a menu bar icon I drag a file onto that will open up a gmail message with the file already attached?

Or, even better, a way to add "send via gmail" to the right-click menu that appears when I click on a file?

Thanks guys.
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

I use Apple's Mail app for all my Gmail accounts. Attaching files is simple. There are several methods:
  • Locate the file in Finder and drag and drop onto the Mail Dock icon to compose a new message.
  • Drop the file onto a message you're already composing.
  • Select the file in Finder and click Finder > Services > New Email With Attachment
  • Create a keyboard shortcut for the above command
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:11 PM   #3
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I use Apple's Mail app for all my Gmail accounts. Attaching files is simple. Locate the file in Finder and drag and drop onto the Mail Dock icon to compose a new message or drop it onto a message you're already composing. You could also select the file in Finder and click Finder > Services > New Email With Attachment
Is there a way to do this without using Apple's default mail app, just using the browser-based gmail instead?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:13 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankar4 View Post
Is there a way to do this without using Apple's default mail app, just using the browser-based gmail instead?
Not that I'm aware of. I haven't read any of the following, so I don't know if it would do what you want. Just a result from Googling.

How To Easily Send Files From Your Mac to Gmail
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:16 PM   #5
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Not that I'm aware of.
Is there a way to set up Apple Mail as outgoing-only, so that it does not download or store any of my emails locally? Or a way to limit how many mb it stores locally?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:20 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankar4 View Post
Is there a way to set up Apple Mail as outgoing-only, so that it does not download or store any of my emails locally? Or a way to limit how many mb it stores locally?
I'm not aware of any such method, but I haven't looked, as I want all my mail downloaded so I can access it when I'm offline.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X