Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:20 AM   #1
XPcentric
macrumors regular

How do I deny access to a certain folder to a managed user ?

For example to the main HDD drive. I tried to edit the permissions of the drive and changed everyone to "no access", then my OSX failed to boot. Thankfully I booted from external drive and changed back the permissions. But its very disturbing for a managed account to be able to access a folder created in my ~Home folder and I wonder if other users who use the same router could also access folders created within ~Home ?
XPcentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:04 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

No user account should have unrestricted access to any other user account. The default permissions and ownership of user home folders should prevent that.

Not even an admin user has unrestricted access to other accounts. There's always an intermediate step that requires authentication, such as the authentication dialog in Finder, or the use of the 'sudo' command in Terminal.

If you're seeing unrestricted access by any user over any other user's home folder, then something is very wrong. How it got that way is unknown at this point.

First, you'll need to provide more details. Please post your OS version and computer model.

Second, you'll have to execute some Terminal commands. You can do this by copying and pasting what I post below, so there's no possibility for typos. You should also copy and paste the complete output in a reply you post here. Accuracy and completeness are required; guessing and assuming are bad.

Open Terminal.app, then copy and paste the following into a window:
Code:
id -p;  mount;  ls -la ~;  ls -la /Users
Then copy and paste the complete output into a reply here.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help