Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Apple's ads attacked the product. And in a humorously sympathetic manner. PC was actually a likeable character, in a tragic way. Who didn't feel bad for the poor fella?

Samsung's ads attack the users. "Look at these idiots, all lining up to buy something from our competitor. Pathetic!"

Insulting people never seems like a good marketing strategy.

I'm sorry, what I meant to say was 'Apple defenders' ;)

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Same here in Switzerland - no problems whatsoever. But again, who the heck cares about a backwater area of Australia, which is little more than a mining colony for China?

Haha. Australia has better standards of living than your country. Jelous? :rolleyes:

davcolley

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
Samsung needs a new Ad

Switch over to us. We have the easiest phones and tablets to rootkit on the market thanks to the flaws in our android kennel. Security, who needs it you'll be to busy recovering your identity and trying to figure out how your bank account got drained.

It's the next big thing.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Your attempt at sarcasm is deeply flawed. Blind worship and using a product are very different things. Are you trying to imply that a person must pledge their allegiance to Apple and blindly worship them to visit this site?

No definitely didn't say that. But your chances of finding those people on these types of sites is high, and therefore shouldn't be surprising.

Just go onto the Chevy Volt site and give yourself a name like LeafMan1 and troll around for a few minutes talking about how the Volt isn't as good as they make it seem. I'm sure you'll be happy to be back here after that!

For the record, I'm not a worshipper of Apple. But I am still amazed at its ability to take technology and make it useful for everyone. In my position I know how hard it is to make a technology product with super smart programmers and engineers and somehow make it seem simple and easy to use. Said super smart engineers usually don't do that by themselves, and usually don't like to take advice from "less super smart" people (from their point of view). The result is usually a clunky mishmash of technology for the sake of technology (cough Google, Samsung, Linus Torvalds, IBM, cough). So from my perspective, I admire that they do on a huge scale what I try to do everyday in my own position, and do it much better than me. I have measurable values of how my productivity has gone up by switching to apple products (Mac, iPhone, and iPad) because when I'm busy and stressed out, I don't want to reload my kernel modules and recompile, I just want something to work so I can go to bed.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Just go onto the Chevy Volt site and give yourself a name like LeafMan1 and troll around for a few minutes talking about how the Volt isn't as good as they make it seem. I'm sure you'll be happy to be back here after that!

LeafMan1 would probably be booted from the Volt site for trolling, and rightly so. But at MacRumors, the anti-Apple trolls are allowed to agitate freely and endlessly. :mad:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
No definitely didn't say that. But your chances of finding those people on these types of sites is high, and therefore shouldn't be surprising.

For the record, I'm not a worshipper of Apple. But I am still amazed at its ability to take technology and make it useful for everyone. In my position I know how hard it is to make a technology product with super smart programmers and engineers and somehow make it seem simple and easy to use. Said super smart engineers usually don't do that by themselves, and usually don't like to take advice from "less super smart" people (from their point of view). The result is usually a clunky mishmash of technology for the sake of technology (cough Google, Samsung, Linus Torvalds, IBM, cough). So from my perspective, I admire that they do on a huge scale what I try to do everyday in my own position, and do it much better than me. I have measurable values of how my productivity has gone up by switching to apple products (Mac, iPhone, and iPad) because when I'm busy and stressed out, I don't want to reload my kernel modules and recompile, I just want something to work so I can go to bed.

I have nothing against that. I will readily admit that Apple makes great hardware. I also realize that being an Apple centric site, there will be many people like that. But I have two main concerns:

1) It's primarily a Mac site or at least should be. This means that people who own Macs and Android phones also visit this site.
2) I'm fine if people love their Apple products, but I often see people making up facts and putting down other platforms and their users, and due to 1), it is offensive.

And to add, criticizing a product and praising another one does not make you a troll or a hater.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
And to add, criticizing a product and praising another one does not make you a troll or a hater.

Endlessly loitering around an Apple-centric forum with nothing more to say than how much Apple sucks would make someone both a troll and a hater.

Not talking about you, but a good number of other forum members these days.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Endlessly loitering around an Apple-centric forum with nothing more to say than how much Apple sucks would make someone both a troll and a hater.

Not talking about you, but a good number of other forum members these days.

Yeah those people exist too, but I have nothing to do with them. I criticize both iOS and Android because they both have their shortcomings.

To be honest, I've read your comments before and you (as well as the guy above) are perfect examples of the people I was talking about in my posts...

Renzatic

Suspended
LeafMan1 would probably be booted from the Volt site for trolling, and rightly so. But at MacRumors, the anti-Apple trolls are allowed to agitate freely and endlessly. :mad:

I think I could count the regular, never anything good to say anti-Apple trolls on this site with one hand, and probably have 2 fingers to spare.

Most everyone else usually falls between the far "I love Apple more than my wife, would never dream of saying one single negative thing about them, and would die for them", or the more middling "I like Apple, but am willing to criticize them when they do something stupid or feel they're getting undue credit" on the grand fanboy spectrum.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
2) I'm fine if people love their Apple products, but I often see people making up facts and putting down other platforms and their users, and due to 1), it is offensive.

I'm 100% with you on that. In the end, it's about gadgets, and people DO get pretty worked up about it. Passion is one thing, aggression is another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.