Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

traycraycray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Hi guys,

So I've had my iPhone 5 for about two months now and it's been amazing and I absolutely love it... But lately I have noticed that I have to press very hard on my sleep button (the one on top of the phone) in order for it to light up or go to sleep...

Would the one year apple care cover this? And would this be a problem I could bring into the Apple Store to ask them to fix?

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Hi guys,

So I've had my iPhone 5 for about two months now and it's been amazing and I absolutely love it... But lately I have noticed that I have to press very hard on my sleep button (the one on top of the phone) in order for it to light up or go to sleep...

Would the one year apple care cover this? And would this be a problem I could bring into the Apple Store to ask them to fix?

I'd make an appointment right away. They'll exchange it on the spot. Make sure you back it up before you take it in if you haven't already.

commad

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
I realized the same issue last night on my iPhone 5. I usually have to press it a few times for it to work. It only seems like it works when i put pressure on just the left side of the button. When I hold the button down to shut it off, half of the time the screen will flash kind of weird too.
I am making an appointment, hopefully they will replace it.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I'm having this issue also. My iPhone 5 is two months old and it's perfect except for the power button. Sometimes I have to push it 5 times for it to work. I really don't want to get a refurb but I will have to soon. Totally sucks.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I'm having this issue also. My iPhone 5 is two months old and it's perfect except for the power button. Sometimes I have to push it 5 times for it to work. I really don't want to get a refurb but I will have to soon. Totally sucks.

A refurb (with new chasis/screen) that has been through the same QC tests as new devices beats the heck out of a "purchased new but now used" device that has a faulty sleep/wake button.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I paid $1000 for my iPhone 5 64 gb with AppleCare +. So it does piss me off to have to get refurb. I dont care what anyone says.

Apple Techs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Phoenix, Az
You could just pop it open yourself and fiddle with the power button if the flex cable isn't actually bad slightly unscrewing where the power button is usually does the trick.....

Although with applecare your best bet is the apple store unless you just wanna have some fun....brought my first water damaged iphone 5 back to life today on a side note:cool:

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
I totally understand what you feel. I just got my 10 days old iphone 5 exchanged at the apple store and I was complaining that my phone is not even 2 weeks old and now its being replaced from a white boxed iphone 5. I was telling the genius that what is the difference if I just returned the phone and got a new one? And he was so rude and said no you can't do that. He even put a note in my receipt that please don't let him return this phone. I was so pissed and I bought applecare+ because I was afraid that there would be future problems. He even told me that you cannot buy applecare on replacement phones. I told him that you have my original phone and just put the applecare there. He was so rude and told me that now you tell me you want applecare?
Sometimes those geniuses are nice but this time I was "helped" by a very annoying and rude person.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I totally understand what you feel. I just got my 10 days old iphone 5 exchanged at the apple store and I was complaining that my phone is not even 2 weeks old and now its being replaced from a white boxed iphone 5. I was telling the genius that what is the difference if I just returned the phone and got a new one? And he was so rude and said no you can't do that. He even put a note in my receipt that please don't let him return this phone. I was so pissed and I bought applecare+ because I was afraid that there would be future problems. He even told me that you cannot buy applecare on replacement phones. I told him that you have my original phone and just put the applecare there. He was so rude and told me that now you tell me you want applecare?
Sometimes those geniuses are nice but this time I was "helped" by a very annoying and rude person.

Most of those guys are really nice if you are nice to them and don't make demands. I'd try a different store?

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Most of those guys are really nice if you are nice to them and don't make demands. I'd try a different store?

I know what you mean. I've been nice and I have had a lot of replacements done ever since before. This was the first time it ever happened to me. I got the applecare + anyway so if ever I will get replacements in the future it will still come from the white box so I don't care anymore. Just pissed me off that the genius I talked to was rude. Now I have applecare and use my phone naked. lol makes a big difference.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I know what you mean. I've been nice and I have had a lot of replacements done ever since before. This was the first time it ever happened to me. I got the applecare + anyway so if ever I will get replacements in the future it will still come from the white box so I don't care anymore. Just pissed me off that the genius I talked to was rude. Now I have applecare and use my phone naked. lol makes a big difference.

Yeah I hear you - that would really piss me off too. Wish those employees would be identified and fired. Why work at a place you hate?!

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
get this fixed immediately. it happened to my iphone 4 and it was the WORST. couldnt put my phone to sleep so the battery would drain like crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.