macrumors 6502

My New Years resolution--to go for 500.
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:25 AM   #27
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Still Sheep View Post
Of course, the problem is that, on crowded threads in particular, viewers often read by avatar
I have posted with avatars and without avatars and, in my opinion, it doesn't affect the number of responses you get.

I only have my current avatar for the werewolf games that are played in the community forums .
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:40 AM   #28
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieTDouglas View Post
I dunno, there are plenty of people in the political forum who post without an avatar, and yet their views are well-known. I posted for about two years before I put up an avatar, never hurt me.
Same here; when I reached the magic figure which allowed me to post an avatar I was working and living abroad, and it didn't really bother me. It was months after my return that - actually, it was on account of the WW games - a full two years after I was allowed to have one that I finally decided to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
I have noticed that many people who have a post count of over 500 don't bother uploading an avatar anyway - So it probably wouldn't make a whole heap of difference.
It doesn't, actually. Initially, I thought that it would, and then found that it didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
An avatar is kind of like a reward for being a committed community member - rather than just handing them out to anybody.
Yes, that sums it up nicely.

Quote:
I suspected that this was also a possibility.

Of course, the problem is that, on crowded threads in particular, viewers often read by avatar: eyes skimming down the thread selecting to read only the post which are accompanied by some visual cue (the rest merging into faceless indistinguishable opinions). There is nothing wrong with this approach per se, but it is an essentially unavoidable consequence.
Oddly enough, not really; once you get into reading posts you get a fair idea of who is who. The challenge is when you hardly visit for a few months (as happened to me when I was working and living abroad) and when you return, you have to acquaint yourself with several new names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
I am not a big fan of avatars. I am thankful that at least MR does not allow pictures in signatures. Some forums look ridiculous because all of the animated avatars and big signature pictures. Awful awful stuff. My views are probably skewed because I am over 33 and having a pretty picture on the side of my posts is not a priority in my life.
I'm over 33, too, and yes, I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. I like how MacRumors does it.
As do I. Simple and tasteful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garsun View Post
I would like to have an Avatar, but with 18 posts in three years, it's going to take awhile
Find areas that interest you and make a few comments there; I was looking forward to being allowed to join the PRSI forum, but found myself unable to take full advantage of the right to participate for a while. However, books, music and movies are nice interesting topics, and there are some lovely threads which deal with these topics, where one can have interesting discussions, meet like-minded individuals and make online friends, and actually a thing or two. Contributing also adds to one's post count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm2660 View Post
My New Years resolution--to go for 500.
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I have posted with avatars and without avatars and, in my opinion, it doesn't affect the number of responses you get.

I only have my current avatar for the werewolf games that are played in the community forums .
Yes, I'm in the same position; the WW games were the main reason I decided to upload one.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:36 AM   #29
CJM
macrumors 6502a

So I just found out I have more than 500 posts to my name.

Nice! Avatar time.
CJM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:46 AM   #30
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

I personally think there should be more rewards, like over 10000 and your posts are highlighted or something.

Stackoverflow does this kind of user levels really well.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:23 PM   #31
JoeRito
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sorry, I may have misrepresented my point: I mean that reading the forum is, I think, more difficult (or at least it becomes less insightful).
Absolutely true... all non newbies (>30 posts) should have avatars. Please reconsider this position as it is very helpful when scanning threads.

Last edited by JoeRito; Dec 14, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
JoeRito is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:43 PM   #32
NewAnger
Banned

Delete
NewAnger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:42 PM   #33
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Getting there..
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:45 PM   #34
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
Getting there..
I remember when you joined and had 20 posts per day compared to my tiny posts per day.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:17 AM   #35
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I remember when you joined and had 20 posts per day compared to my tiny posts per day.
I've settled down a little lol

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback