Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bestof2012-500x237.jpg
Alongside the Best of 2012 for the iOS App Store, Apple also released its nominations for the best app and game of the year in the Mac App Store yesterday.

Journaling app Day One was named App of the Year, while Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ultimate Edition took the Game of the Year award.

Photography app CameraBag 2 was named runner-up for app of the year, and Splice: Tree of Life was the second place game.

Apple also compiled a list of the Best Apps of 2012, which includes titles like Tweetbot, Clear, and Things.

Apple's list of Best Games of 2012 includes apps like Bastion, Pocket Planes, and Limbo.

This is the second year that the Mac App Store has existed, and the second year that Apple has chosen the best Mac Apps. Last year, Pixelmator and Civilization V were Apple's top picks.

Article Link: Apple Names 'Day One' and 'Deus Ex: Human Revolution' Best in Mac App Store

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
No award for best menu bar app of 2012?

Oh well, maybe my next app can take an award in 2013. Congrats to the devs of the winning apps from 2012.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Deus Ex Human Revolution is the best game I've ever played on any platform... The music, characters,choices... I love it. Great game which deserve a movie.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Human Revolution is amazingly good. Wish they'd hurry up and bring out a sequel! Until other games catch up with the fun of the gameplay and the brilliant atmosphere of that game I'd be happy with more of the same (although obviously if they could improve on it I think my head would burst in brain orgasm).

----------

Deus Ex Human Revolution is the best game I've ever played on any platform... The music, characters,choices... I love it. Great game which deserve a movie.

Best game ever? Hmm, it's certainly up there! Mind you, Portal and Portal 2 were both pretty amazing too...

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007

You should play some more games. That said, it is pretty good.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Funny that Day One should be picked. Apparently it's getting a lot of flak from users about journal entries being saved in plain text, making the password feature little more than eye candy.

csHokie

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008

The original Deus Ex (not invisible war) and System Shock 2 are still two of my all time favorites, but Human Revolution was pretty good.

moshen

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2005
Sweet, my app Living Earth Desktop for Mac is one of 20 in the best of 2012 Mac apps list :D:D:D

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Human Revolution is amazingly good. Wish they'd hurry up and bring out a sequel! Until other games catch up with the fun of the gameplay and the brilliant atmosphere of that game I'd be happy with more of the same (although obviously if they could improve on it I think my head would burst in brain orgasm).

I would be okay if they didn't release a sequel anytime within 5-6 years. I think the reason Human Revolution was so good was because it wasn't rushed.

First Deus Ex was definitely one of the best games of all time. Human Revolution was a worthy successor and a great game, but not one of the best.

darkskies

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
London
How bizarre - on my App Store, the game of the year is LEGO Batman!

I checked that Deus Ex is indeed for sale here in the UK and it is.

Day One, CameraBag and Splice are still the other winner/runners up.

Most curious....!

DS

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
Funny that Day One should be picked. Apparently it's getting a lot of flak from users about journal entries being saved in plain text, making the password feature little more than eye candy.

Yea, I could not believe that it was app of the year after reading the reviews. My reaction was "somebody must have posted the wrong list".

The link to camerabag 2 doesn't work and it doesn't even show up in a search. It really makes you wonder what is going on.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001

The original Deus Ex was actually better, despite the horrid voice acting :)

Acamerainjapan

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011

I'm glad you told me that. I'll stop synching on drop box.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Complaints regarding DayOne's lack of encryption seem a little unjustified. It isn't like entries are only stored on your phone in clear text. Assuming you're using iCloud/DropBox storage and have a passcode for your phone, I'd argue they aren't needed for a personal journal... unless you plan on leaving your phone in the supermarket (and someone cares about your personal thoughts or stories) or genuinely have sensitive data to store - in which case you shouldn't be using an iOS application for vanity/convenience purposes, but something else entirely.

I've been using it for a while now and it's a fantastic little application. Often I'd like to have more feature-rich noting applications on my iPhone and find iCal only good for quick appointments - if I'm trying to remember what I did on certain days or record lengthy accounts of certain activities for personal/business use, then it's the perfect market offering.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Complaints regarding DayOne's lack of encryption seem a little unjustified. It isn't like entries are only stored on your phone in clear text. Assuming you're using iCloud/DropBox storage and have a passcode for your phone, I'd argue they aren't needed for a personal journal... unless you plan on leaving your phone in the supermarket (and someone cares about your personal thoughts or stories) or genuinely have sensitive data to store - in which case you shouldn't be using an iOS application for vanity/convenience purposes, but something else entirely.

I've been using it for a while now and it's a fantastic little application. Often I'd like to have more feature-rich noting applications on my iPhone and find iCal only good for quick appointments - if I'm trying to remember what I did on certain days or record lengthy accounts of certain activities for personal/business use, then it's the perfect market offering.

The problem isn't that the data is saved in plaintext, necessarily, although that in itself might give some users pause. The real problem is that the app's password function gives the user a false sense of security. If two people use the same app on the same computer, then each could easily read the other's journal using a regular text editor without knowing the password, if they searched deeply enough on the hard drive. Yikes.

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
First Deus Ex was definitely one of the best games of all time. Human Revolution was a worthy successor and a great game, but not one of the best.

I didn't play it [the first one] at the time, had a go on the PC recently but I don't have a good keyboard+mouse setup and it doesn't support controller. Also it was unplayably dark, for some reason, but I expect that would be fixable in the settings.

Was it out for anything other than PC? Maybe I could get it on Playstation Store?

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I didn't play it [the first one] at the time, had a go on the PC recently but I don't have a good keyboard+mouse setup and it doesn't support controller. Also it was unplayably dark, for some reason, but I expect that would be fixable in the settings.

Was it out for anything other than PC? Maybe I could get it on Playstation Store?

It was out for PC, Mac, and PS2 I believe.

If it is ridiculously and unplayably dark, there is something wrong with it.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

not the greatest... the greatest to me (this generation at least) are:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Uncharted 2
3. Assassin's Creed 2
4. Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
5. Bioshock
6. Battlefield Bad Company 2

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Woo, got it on Playstation Store :D

Congrats, and have fun with it. Truly one of the best games ever made.

I would save often, because although Human Revolution had decisions that effect the storyline a little, the original Deus Ex has decisions that change the WHOLE storyline.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Congrats, and have fun with it. Truly one of the best games ever made.

I would save often, because although Human Revolution had decisions that effect the storyline a little, the original Deus Ex has decisions that change the WHOLE storyline.

I've been saving often because it's super duper hard to not get spotted, and I'm playing a no-kills game (except one major character whom I had to kill for moral reasons (s/he was un-stunnable)). Just noticed though that if people do spot you you can fairly easily run away and hide round a corner anyway, so you don't have to kill people :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.