Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I'm surprised at the support for apple maps. I personally prefer google maps. Apple maps took me a round about way somewhere and I was disappointed.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Apple Maps has provided me better routes, great traffic information, accurate POIs and does so in a much nicer looking package.

I like street view so am glad to have Google Maps back.. but given the fact that both apps are identical as far as accuracy (for me), I'll be sticking with Apple Maps for the integration into iOS and ability to program via Siri.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Apple Maps has provided me better routes, great traffic information, accurate POIs and does so in a much nicer looking package.

I like street view so am glad to have Google Maps back.. but given the fact that both apps are identical as far as accuracy (for me), I'll be sticking with Apple Maps for the integration into iOS and ability to program via Siri.

True for me as well...happy to have both and have been using Google for the past two days exclusively. I've noticed that their "directions" are actually "off" compared to Apple and Waze. Yes, it still gets me there, but not the best route even though every GPS program I use tells me the same way while Google will route me a way that it "thinks" is better or faster, but hasn't been so far.

And it isn't like I'm putting it through its paces in a large, complex city...there aren't a lot of routes to choose from in the first place.

I continue to prefer Apple's view (better map angle while driving...Google's is too much of an overhead view and not angled enough for me) and I find Apple to be much smoother.

Pretty impressed though...just some nitpicky things that make no sense or bother me...usually related to how they handle directions. POI's are great, but they have been spot on from Apple for me as well.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
...and night mode, traffic showing while navigating, multiple stop capabilities, being able to search for POI along or near the route, etc. There are plenty of missing features.

...and what's interesting is that the list is almost identical to Apple Maps or slightly worse.

They are certainly better when it comes to certain info like Exit Number info, POI's in general, more "info" shown on the screen if that matters to you (personally, not sure how it matters that I can see what a business is called as I drive by ay 80 mph on the highway that has no access to it...:p)

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
TRANSIT! For this reason alone Google Maps trumps Apple's Maps.

Funny. It's one of the reasons I prefer Apple's solution. Google's transit data is suspect and often missing. I prefer a quick way to use a dedicated/specialized app for the region I'm in (and to have a choice of which one to use). YMMV, of course. Greater choices!

Sano89

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Liberec, Czech
Of course I think GM are better than Apple maps
Google maps is more spectacular
I don't understand some things in Apple maps

My opinion

darky90

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I have more faith with Google Maps since it has been around for a while, therefore better developed. However I've been using apple maps since the upgrade to ios6 and I haven't had any issues with apple maps. Personally, I like the look of Apple maps better.

I also use Waze. :D

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
But I have to say that I live in a huge city (L.A.) and I don't know how Apple maps is for smaller cities which are not sooo popular. I very good traffic information with apple maps, no false directions etc.

The city & country you are living in plays a big role in the decision in my opinion.

Here in Metro Vancouver, one person I know had Apple Maps did not send him to the proper location in one instance. Another instance, Apple Maps did not show all of the new streets. It also showed one road falling into a ravine in the 3D view.

I personally do not use an Apple device. I do use Google Maps. I was rather impressed that even with a lot of construction happening along the Trans-Canada highway, Google Maps had timely updates to traffic pattern changes as construction proceeded. For instance, a new bridge was recently built to replace an old bridge. Google Maps updated the route when part of the bridge opened to one direction of traffic. Then when the entire bridge replaced the old bridge, Google Maps was updated to show the route going across the new bridge. I was pretty impressed with the timely updates considering there were signs warning people not to rely on GPS during the construction.

I'm not sure if Apple Maps had such timely updates in my city.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
i haven't tried the google maps app yet and probably wont. i don't use maps much and when i have apple maps haven't failed me.

are google maps vector now?

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
I live in London, where Apple Maps seems to have very little traffic data, and the construction/accident icons are rarely on my map - even if there's an accident, or planned road works. Google Maps, however, looks much nicer and has traffic data for almost every road - it's much better at the moment, imo.

sohaloh

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
London, Ontario
Are the new google maps vector based or tiles? Its a little slow on my 4S but im guessing its the first version so theyll start optimizing it more with updates. Also I noticed the maps are bit more umm blocky, clean compard to the old google maps from iOS 5 which had like more rounded roads and curves etc. The colours were also bolder, outlined, and thicker borders. I liked that, this new metro looking style is abit new to me. But thank God for google maps.

Edit: Wish I had this app for my trip to Japan in october. Apple maps absolutely destroyed me on that trip. Ahh just tried transit, from shinagawa station to roppongi :( works like a charm. Damn you apple. Damn you to hell.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I did a comparison of the two if anyone wants to check it out: http://goo.gl/o73u1

Just watched your comparison video, quite well done. Like the part where you pointed out the problem with Apple maps outside the states, satellite imagery in many areas, including mine, is like crap, let alone POIs.

----------

Are the new google maps vector based or tiles? Its a little slow on my 4S but im guessing its the first version so theyll start optimizing it more with updates. Also I noticed the maps are bit more umm blocky, clean compard to the old google maps from iOS 5 which had like more rounded roads and curves etc. The colours were also bolder, outlined, and thicker borders. I liked that, this new metro looking style is abit new to me. But thank God for google maps.

Edit: Wish I had this app for my trip to Japan in october. Apple maps absolutely destroyed me on that trip. Ahh just tried transit, from shinagawa station to roppongi :( works like a charm. Damn you apple. Damn you to hell.

It's vector-based, as opposed to tiles in the old iOS 5 Google maps.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I've had my first experience with apple maps making a mistake. I was leaving my neighborhood and it told me to ground the block and put the other side of my neighborhood instead if just making a left turn onto the main road.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Google maps for sure.

I have little faith in apple maps. If I'm in an unknown location I need that confidence that the navigation is going to be 99% correct.

wc17

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
I personally moved Apple Maps to a folder on my second page and have Google Maps on my first page...

Traffic details alone make it better for me...it just doesnt work well on Apple Maps.

Dont get me wrong, Apple Maps definitely has potential, and will be better with more updates but it just isnt there right now...

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
I wish Google Maps would integrate with Siri then I'd be satisfied. I love it, so much better than Apple Maps, but Apple is so well integrated and looks great. I think Apple Maps will catch up and blow Google out of the water very soon.

Traffic, construction, etc. give Google the clear edge. Apple did lead me to Six Flags really fast while Google took me a round about way, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.