Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TigerClaw27

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Anyone know if something similar to this would allow you to convert the SSD interface into a SATA port?

MSATA-to-SATA-Adapter-Card-mini-SATA-to-SATA.jpg

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
The logic board has a normal sata data connector and a custom power connector.

----------

So it appears that a cable assembly is used between the motherboard SATA and power connectors and the hard disk drive (or IcyDock)? Is it a standard type of cable available for sale (it may not come with non-HD systems), or a custom cable? Photo of the cable assembly would be good. :)

Thanks....

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I dont think the connector for apple's blade ssd is msata but i could be wrong.

It is not m-SATA. It's a propriety port and the only one selling something that will fit in there right now is OWC (besides Apple, of course).

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
So it appears that a cable assembly is used between the motherboard SATA and power connectors and the hard disk drive (or IcyDock)? Is it a standard type of cable available for sale (it may not come with non-HD systems), or a custom cable? Photo of the cable assembly would be good. :)

Thanks....

The sata power connector on the logic board is not standard, here are some pictures of the cable. Sorry, some of the pictures are out of focus.

SATA power cable which connects to logic board.
DSCF5723.jpg

SATA data cable
DSCF5722.jpg

Cable to the HD
DSCF5721.jpg

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Well done R.OG! On occasion I like to take Macs apart, and upgrade them where possible too. In fact, if I remember rightly, my first posts here on MR concerned overclocking an eMac I had (It worked good too! And was done with warranty remaining ;) ) So this is of huge interest, as im looking to upgrade from my 07 iMac to one of these new ones.

How is the CPU replacement going?
Also, is there much risk of the glass breaking when you are hacking your way through the tape? (come to think of it, is it actually glass? The panel on my 07 iMac is suspiciously light, and I wasn't entirely convinced it was really glass)
I'll probably get me a 21.5 and merely replace the main drive with an SSD.. Childs play! :p

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
CPU Ugrade

The cpu was successfully upgraded to a 3770. My blade SSD should arrive tomorrow so i'll give you guys an update once it's installed.

DSCF5726.jpg

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
The sata power connector on the logic board is not standard, here are some pictures of the cable. Sorry, some of the pictures are out of focus.

Ahhhh .... thanks so much R.OG!

But I bet that cable isn't included if you bought the SSD only iMac. Hopefully it will be available for sale somewhere soon.

-howard

TigerClaw27

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Ahhhh .... thanks so much R.OG!

But I bet that cable isn't included if you bought the SSD only iMac. Hopefully it will be available for sale somewhere soon.

-howard

The cable connects to the HDD so it will be in every iMac, correct me if I'm wrong, I just don't see how it wouldn't be. Also the fact that the power connector to the main board is non-standard means nothing since it connects to a standard powered SATA hard drive.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
The cable connects to the HDD so it will be in every iMac, correct me if I'm wrong, I just don't see how it wouldn't be. Also the fact that the power connector to the main board is non-standard means nothing since it connects to a standard powered SATA hard drive.

I don't think it will be included in systems that where ordered with just the ssd

----------

How is the CPU replacement going?
Also, is there much risk of the glass breaking when you are hacking your way through the tape? (come to think of it, is it actually glass? The panel on my 07 iMac is suspiciously light, and I wasn't entirely convinced it was really glass)
I'll probably get me a 21.5 and merely replace the main drive with an SSD.. Childs play! :p

The cpu upgrade went well(see post above). The glass is very strong, it should not break or crack unless dropped.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Is the HDD slot even empty in the SSD only model? I suspect that to get the 768GB SSD, they used a standard form factor, and left the proprietary slot empty. The highest capacity blade drive OWC offers is 480GB.

TigerClaw27

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Is the HDD slot even empty in the SSD only model? I suspect that to get the 768GB SSD, they used a standard form factor, and left the proprietary slot empty. The highest capacity blade drive OWC offers is 480GB.

I believe Apple has a 768GB SSD mini-board that they use in the retina MBPs. And R.OG is right, those will likely not have the cable.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I believe Apple has a 768GB SSD mini-board that they use in the retina MBPs. And R.OG is right, those will likely not have the cable.

You're right, I hadn't looked at the rMBP because I never had any interest in it. Funny, they only charge an extra $1,000 for that upgrade, but then it is an upgrade from another SSD and not a 1TB HDD.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Unlike the 21.5" the 27" passes AHT with a 3rd party SSD installed. This is also with the cpu upgrade.

DSCF5740.jpg

Last edited:

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Exactly. I'd love the ability to do upgrades myself. To be honest it looks like you have to use quite a bit of force to even get to the RAM. Between the screen and the bottom lip and all that Jazz. Really is such a shame they did that with the 21.5". But my 8GB is doing me just fine. I also figure the savings between the entry level iMac and the topped out one are more than double. You can literally in a year sell your 2012 model and buy a new entry level iMac (2013's) for LESS money than a spec'ed out 2012.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I don't think it will be included in systems that where ordered with just the ssd

----------

The cpu upgrade went well(see post above). The glass is very strong, it should not break or crack unless dropped.

Is there by chance a Apple Part Number on that disk drive cable?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Cool. So a good 54% boost. Nicely done.

But not really worth it, right? It's a $200 upgrade from the i5 to the i7 from Apple, so.... I guess if you sold the old CPU? But then you'd have to hope if you had a warranty claim that Apple didn't notice the upgraded CPU. RAM and hard drives are one thing, but.. CPUs? Hmm... Reading back it looks like he had one lying around, so why not, eh? :D

Still, very awesome to be able to do this down the line if needed.

Waiting to hear on the definitive type of tape used to close this up so I can replace the internal disk at some point.

Was this a Samsung 830 128GB SSD in there? I'm very intrigued by your benchmark results. Your speeds look great. For reference, I tested several Thunderbolt enclosures and got 360/320 read/write using a 256GB Samsung 830. So it looks like you do get better speed using the internal connection, not that the average Joe (me included, I'd wager) could tell the difference between 430/310 and 360/320 on a day-to-day basis.

Great work, by the way, R.OG!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.