Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
well if they just cut component orders it probably means they are expecting to make/sell less product than they planned last week or a few weeks ago when they first put the orders in?

Again, the report was that they aren't able to assemble them fast enough. The same report confirmed that demand remains strong.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
If you hate walmart print out the ad and take it to the apple store they match in store promotions on apple products. I know this cause I worked there for a year and though we didn't publicize it we would take the discount off when people asked.

Nope, they don't do that anymore.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
WalMart's Web site says that all iPhone 5's are $50 off with a contract. There's also a disclaimer that says individual promotions and availability may vary from store to store. There's no reference to the $127 sale. If you do a search, all the results are for this same news flash, which has been posted at various sites. Has anyone actually gotten this deal? I wonder if it's an erroneous story that's just been posted and reposted.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
Thats a pretty deep discounts for something so new and supposedly selling like hotcakes this holidays. Did Apple overestimated their production over demands of iGadgets?

There's this thing in the US (not sure about the rest of the world), called the Holiday Season, where retailers offer huge discounts on popular products to build traffic in their stores. This is Business 101. If you can lure someone into your store for a specific product, chances are they may buy other stuff as well.

"Buy One, Get One Free" is usually a good sign of clearing out stock.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
NBC news is reporting that Wal-Mart will offer the 16gb iPad with retina display for $399 plus a $30 iTunes gift card. It says the discounts would start immediately with the $30 gift card starting on Monday.

It's a great deal, even if it's on the 3rd generation and should sell a lot of iPads.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
The discount offered is nothing when you take into account the total that will need to be paid over the two-years contract.

Oh, who offers free service??? That's like saying buying a car is a waste because you have the cost of gas over it's service. Why buy a TV when you have to purchase a service/buy Blu-rays to watch anything on it You get a cheaper phone if you agree to keep service for 2 years. If you bring your own device you're still playing the same amount but can cancel service at anytime.

I've had my service since it was Bell south over 15 years. I have to have a cell phone and the other services in my area are lacking. I going to have the service and might was well take a discount on a device. Is everyone's subsidies somewhat included in the service cost? Yeah, but since phones keep good value most of the time you can upgrade for free every 2 years or you can even make some of that money back.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I just got back from my local, friendly Walmart. There were 4 employees behind the counter in Electronics and 2 customers being rung up. After several minutes, one of them asked if she could help me. I asked if they had any iPad 4's. She gave my a completely puzzled look and went to ask another employee if they had any. He pointed her to the counter where I was standing and said check in there. She said, I don't have a key. She walks out from behind the counter and disappears for a few minutes, then returns with a ring of keys. She fumbles with a half a dozen keys or so and finally opens the cabinet and removes a box containing some type of iPad.

She looks the box over, then takes it to another employee and asks if it is an iPad 4. He hands here a scanning gun and tells her to check. After several unsuccessful attempts to scan it, she goes back and asks for help again, then returns. She finally came close enough so that I could see the box. I read the fine print by the UPC and it said iPad 2. She proceeds to attempt to scan it, again without success. I look at the box, it says iPad 2. After taking a few more boxes out from under the counter, all iPad 2's, she asks someone else for help. He says that they don't have any iPad 4 wifi's, just cellular. I ask if he knew about the supposed sale, he said no.

I told him that they have the iPhone 5 on display at the sale price, he tells me that they have never had an iPhone 5 in the store to sell. I asked when they would be getting the iPads and iPhones, he didn't know. And then the gem of gems, he told me that the iPad 5 was the one that was going to come in the neon colors!

I wasted 20+ minutes there and found out nothing. And people think Best Buy is bad.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Just wanted 2 of the most virulent users of sarcasm at MacRumors to meet.
Knuckle dragging sub-humans shouldn't be allowed to buy Precious.

I just got back from my local, friendly Walmart. There were 4 employees behind the counter in Electronics and 2 customers being rung up. After several minutes, one of them asked if she could help me. I asked if they had any iPad 4's. She gave my a completely puzzled look and went to ask another employee if they had any. He pointed her to the counter where I was standing and said check in there. She said, I don't have a key. She walks out from behind the counter and disappears for a few minutes, then returns with a ring of keys. She fumbles with a half a dozen keys or so and finally opens the cabinet and removes a box containing some type of iPad.

She looks the box over, then takes it to another employee and asks if it is an iPad 4. He hands here a scanning gun and tells her to check. After several unsuccessful attempts to scan it, she goes back and asks for help again, then returns. She finally came close enough so that I could see the box. I read the fine print by the UPC and it said iPad 2. She proceeds to attempt to scan it, again without success. I look at the box, it says iPad 2. After taking a few more boxes out from under the counter, all iPad 2's, she asks someone else for help. He says that they don't have any iPad 4 wifi's, just cellular. I ask if he knew about the supposed sale, he said no.

I told him that they have the iPhone 5 on display at the sale price, he tells me that they have never had an iPhone 5 in the store to sell. I asked when they would be getting the iPads and iPhones, he didn't know. And then the gem of gems, he told me that the iPad 5 was the one that was going to come in the neon colors!

I wasted 20+ minutes there and found out nothing. And people think Best Buy is bad.

slabwax

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Maybe Walmart should charge a few bucks more and pay their employes a living wage. Just a thought.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030

I wouldn't expect anything more from Wal-Mart staff. They're not hired to be experts in a particular department (although they used to actually do that decades ago). You can check inventory levels for a particular store on their site, before driving there and having to deal with any inept workers.

Frankly, I don't believe they'd be selling the iPad 4's at $399 if they're still sitting on 2's at $399 (their current price). That makes no sense at all. They might as well lower the price of the 2's and just sell everything they have, but if it's true that Apple is collaborating with Wal-Mart on this sale, they could be simply trying to push the sale of the 4's up.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Still $499 at a central PA Wal Mart. Wish the update to this post contained info on when the 4th gen iPad is going on sale. Seems like a lot of MR readers are wasting their time!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I was hoping that the iPad sale would be confirmed. There is no credible source that it is on sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.