Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
I just this morning put in an order for the ipad 4 wifi at Apple.com. Too late to cancel. Anyone know if they charge a restocking fee if I return without opening?

you can open and use it if you want to, there is no re-stocking fee.

jrewing53

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I'll order from the Apple Store

Sorry Wal Mart, I'll order my new Ipad from the Apple Store and pay the extra $100.
After I saw the video of Wal Mart workers tossing those Ipads and dropping them on the floor, I'll pass.
I was at Wal Mart today, and nobody was at the counter where the Ipads were sold. The whole place is creepy.

jkeating2005

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
Sorry Wal Mart, I'll order my new Ipad from the Apple Store and pay the extra $100.
After I saw the video of Wal Mart workers tossing those Ipads and dropping them on the floor, I'll pass.
I was at Wal Mart today, and nobody was at the counter where the Ipads were sold. The whole place is creepy.

You dont think that happens in the shipping process and at Apple? you must have not seen how shipping works. They build packaging that can sustain such abuse and they offer returns if there is a problem. anyone wanting to spend an extra $100 on a product because they think it doesn't get tossed around in the package is crazy IMO.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
It us the oldest trick in the bag... Advertize a discount on a desirable product.. Lure thousends in ... And have maybe 5 units for sale at that price.
It is called generating traffic ...

I would like to see one post from a person who actually bought an iphone 5 at that price!

jezzdogg

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Walmart in Monroe NY confirmed the sale but are out of stock .

Is the sale on just the i phone or is the iPad 3 4th generation vs Ipad 3 3rd generation also on sale for 399.99 with 30 dollar i tune card

anyone know return policy of microcenter bought hubby ipad 3rd generation last sat for first night of our holiday, he has used it 2x but would perfer the 4th generation just could not justify 100 dollars more......holiday and birthday for grandchildren toiok priority

Munimula

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2005
Price Confirmed for iPad 3, so far

In the interest of full disclosure:

I work for Walmart. Have for 15 years. I do not speak for them; my comments are my own. Please, haters out there, remember: Bad news sells papers. Not everything you read, or see on TV, or hear from your brother's girlfriend's neighbors baby-daddy who was fired for whatever reason - is true. Just because the people in that video were idiots, doesn't mean that ALL our unloaders are. Just most of them :) Kidding.

Anyway, just spoke with a friend of mine in Electronics. All info on iPhone is accurate. As of earlier this evening, the iPad 3 is selling for $399. No word from my store on the iPad 4, as we are a small store and so have not gotten any new ones in yet to scan. I ASSUME pricing would be the same as the 3, though, since it has been since the 4's came out. When calling your local stores, ask them what the devices SCAN at the register. Most people will quote the price from memory, not realizing it has changed. We were not made aware of this price change.

Last edited:

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Walmart -> NOT!

Just remember when you shop at Walmart that the money you save, gets picked up in your taxes to support the Walmart workers that can't afford healthcare and food.

Walmart made $15 Billion in profit last year but Walmart workers required and estimated $3 Billion in public assistance in the form food stamps and government paid medical.

http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/corporate-subsidy-watch/hidden-taxpayer-costs
http://www.mccc.edu/pdf/eng024/Class 6-7/class 6-7 article 2 high cost of low prices.pdf

before you shop the biggest Welfare Queen in the world, stop and think.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
APPL getting desperate. Evidenced by the extreme share price drop. Shoot hit 400s soon at this pace. This is what happens when you release a boring product.

----------

Just remember when you shop at Walmart that the money you save, gets picked up in your taxes to support the Walmart workers that can't afford healthcare and food.

Walmart made $15 Billion in profit last year but Walmart workers required and estimated $3 Billion in public assistance in the form food stamps and government paid medical.

http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/corporate-subsidy-watch/hidden-taxpayer-costs
http://www.mccc.edu/pdf/eng024/Class 6-7/class 6-7 article 2 high cost of low prices.pdf

before you shop the biggest Welfare Queen in the world, stop and think.
.... You do realize these people would pull MORE money off the government if they were unemployed :confused::confused:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I just called another Walmart and talked to someone intelligent in electronics. He physically scanned the iPad and it came up at $499. He said they had the iPhone 5 in stock and that the price was just changed to $127 today. I'd still like to see an actual confirmation.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
APPL getting desperate. Evidenced by the extreme share price drop. Shoot hit 400s soon at this pace. This is what happens when you release a boring product.

Walmart drops prices on products all the time. You assume Apple is behind this and in fact you have no evidence of this. All the other retailers are still selling all Apple products at full price. Everyone that knows anything about stocks have for months said Apple stock prices was over valued.

Boring products, amazing how they hardly been able to meet demand for these boring things.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I looked at the local Walmart ad online and it shows the iPhone 5 at 189.97 and the iPad 4 at 499.00, thru Saturday. Yet two stores have the iPhone at 127.00 and the iPad at the regular price.

Munimula

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2005
Price Change Pending

The price change just came in to the systems this afternoon. It is possible that the department manager had already gone for the day, as many do like to leave early on Friday. Without getting into too much detail - The price changes are not applied automatically. They come in to a system for the Dept. Manager to see, then they must physically verify that the store's onhand is correct, and accept the price change, then change the shelf label. If your local store did not get to it today, then the change will be waiting for the dept. mgr. when they get to work Monday morning. Try calling them then. There was no big to-do over this. A price changing is not exactly an Earth-shattering event. On any given day, a department may get a couple hundred or thousand changes, and they take time to work through. Not everyone is as eager to see good news on Apple products as we are, so it may be that they just didn't get to it yet. Take care, all.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
When you see price cuts on Apple products so quick it means only one thing; people aren't buying them.

I would expect this on any Android phone (it's a fact) but not on Apple flagship products after a few months of release. If Apple releases a ho-hum iPhone 5s watch the stocks go below $400 or maybe $300.

cowboy77

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
IPhone 5 Price at Walmart

San Jose, California Walmart - confirming $127 price for 16GB iPhone 5 in black (good supply) and white (even better supply :). No discounts on higher capacity iPhones (don't know if they even carry the 32 or 64GB models). Also, there is no discount on iPads here in San Jose.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Walmart drops prices on products all the time. You assume Apple is behind this and in fact you have no evidence of this. All the other retailers are still selling all Apple products at full price. Everyone that knows anything about stocks have for months said Apple stock prices was over valued.

Boring products, amazing how they hardly been able to meet demand for these boring things.

Want to provide some links to all those saying APPL was/is overvalued? Because if AAPL is overvalued than what the heck is Amazon?!?

----------

When you see price cuts on Apple products so quick it means only one thing; people aren't buying them.

I would expect this on any Android phone (it's a fact) but not on Apple flagship products after a few months of release. If Apple releases a ho-hum iPhone 5s watch the stocks go below $400 or maybe $300.
Price cuts? Where are the price cuts at AT&T, Verizon, Apple Store, etc. if no one was buying them wouldn't AT&T and Verizon be dropping prices as well? AT&T dropped the price on the Lumia 920.

Aug 26, 2008
Want to provide some links to all those saying APPL was/is overvalued? Because if AAPL is overvalued than what the heck is Amazon?!?

----------

Price cuts? Where are the price cuts at AT&T, Verizon, Apple Store, etc. if no one was buying them wouldn't AT&T and Verizon be dropping prices as well? AT&T dropped the price on the Lumia 920.

Apple cut their iPhone orders for next quarter though, which is one reason the stock was down 20 points today (that, and the dud launch in China). You'd have to assume that means sales are below their expectations. People are buying them, just not in the numbers they wanted.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Apple cut their iPhone orders for next quarter though, which is one reason the stock was down 20 points today (that, and the dud launch in China). You'd have to assume that means sales are below their expectations. People are buying them, just not in the numbers they wanted.

I bet that the sales are very good, the hysteria has died down and the sales number will be steady. At some point in time sales are bound to level off.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
From the cnn.com website:

While it was reported elsewhere that Wal-Mart is discounting the recently announced fourth-generation iPad, a Wal-Mart spokesperson confirmed with CNNMoney that it is, in fact, the third-generation model, which has a less powerful CPU.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

While it was reported elsewhere that Wal-Mart is discounting the recently announced fourth-generation iPad, a Wal-Mart spokesperson confirmed with CNNMoney that it is, in fact, the third-generation model, which has a less powerful CPU.[/Q

Found it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Munimula

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2005

While it was reported elsewhere that Wal-Mart is discounting the recently announced fourth-generation iPad, a Wal-Mart spokesperson confirmed with CNNMoney that it is, in fact, the third-generation model, which has a less powerful CPU.

Makes sense why my friend was able to confirm the iPad 3 only, by scanning, but was unable to find any info for the 4. Thanks!

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/14/technology/mobile/walmart-apple-iphone-ipad-sale/index.html

Last edited:

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
9to5Mac says $399 is for 3rd iPad, not 4th

9to5Mac has apparently been in touch with Walmart's PR agency about the iPad confusion and bottom line is the $399 price is for the 3rd gen iPad, not the 4th which remains at $499. Here's the link and a quote:

Update 2: Walmart’s PR made multiple corrections to its original press release today. While the first release said the third-generation iPad would go on sale for $399 on Dec. 17, a later correction indicated the deal actually started today for the fourth-generation iPad. Now, this evening, Walmart’s PR has made another correction: today’s $399 sale is for the third-generation iPad. The rollback prices for the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S remain correct.

9to5Mac contacted Walmart directly today on multiple occasions to verify the sale prices advertised in the press release, but only its PR agency would comment on specifics and make subsequent corrections.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/14/walmart-to-offer-iphone-5-for-127-4s-for-47-and-ipad-3-for-399/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.