Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:58 AM   #1
doogle11
macrumors newbie

suggestion for data recovery/partition rebuild (bad dismount)

I have an older drive formatted as FAT32, I used to use it for data storage/transfer between Mac OS X and Windows a few years ago. Now I'm trying to recover data from it.

It was formatted with two partitions, A and B. Partitions B was corrupted when I was trying to dismount it from OS X, but somehow the dismount progress never finished, it just froze for many hours so I ended up turning off everything. Ever since, partition B never was able to mounted again, while partition A still functions properly.

In Disk Utility, I do not see partition B listed, so I'm not able to try repairing it throuh Disk Utility. Disk Utility sees partition A on the hard drive, and describes the remainding storage space to be "free space".

I've been reading other threads for suggestion. Does this sound like something I should try TestDisk, to rebuild the partition table? Or should I be trying Disk Warrior to recover the files? Do any of these tools do something irreversible to the disk that I should avoid?
doogle11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:01 PM   #2
kpgh554
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle11 View Post
I have an older drive formatted as FAT32, I used to use it for data storage/transfer between Mac OS X and Windows a few years ago. Now I'm trying to recover data from it.

It was formatted with two partitions, A and B. Partitions B was corrupted when I was trying to dismount it from OS X, but somehow the dismount progress never finished, it just froze for many hours so I ended up turning off everything. Ever since, partition B never was able to mounted again, while partition A still functions properly.

In Disk Utility, I do not see partition B listed, so I'm not able to try repairing it throuh Disk Utility. Disk Utility sees partition A on the hard drive, and describes the remainding storage space to be "free space".

I've been reading other threads for suggestion. Does this sound like something I should try TestDisk, to rebuild the partition table? Or should I be trying Disk Warrior to recover the files? Do any of these tools do something irreversible to the disk that I should avoid?
have you tried using windows pc to check hdd
kpgh554 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:42 PM   #3
doogle11
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgh554 View Post
have you tried using windows pc to check hdd
I tried to connect the drive to windows xp. Again partition A is able to mount, while B fails to mount.

Similar to Disk Utility on OS X, Disk Management in windows xp calls the remaining space on the hard drive, where partition B used to be, "unallocated".
doogle11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help