Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
idk why it says i have like 1 or 2 gb for photos, videos and music. I havent downloaded anything.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Could be from iLife like garageband and iCloud perhaps. iPhoto can be made to autodownload streams.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
A brand new Mac would come with sound effects (considered music files), a couple of tutorial videos, and assorted wallpapers and icon files (all considered pictures).

All perfectly normal.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Mine came with photos of some random girl... I found them by accident when I was looking through random folders and stuff (was new to osx). Couldn't find them again though when I was trying to show my friend. She looked like ghost-like kinda? Probably just bad lighting on the photo but it was weird.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
OP: Do not follow this advice unless you want to do a lot of work for no reason.

I always always always do a former and a clean OSX install on my Mac computers. Always have and always will.

Btw, with the SSD it won't take as long. Benefit is that I can have the OS setup exactly how I want it and not have bloatware. Especially important on a computer like the MBA where space is valuable.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
It makes no sense to do a clean install of OS X since it comes with almost zero bloatware. The only programs that are additional to the stock OS programs is iTunes and iLife. A clean install of windows on a new PC, on the other hand, makes a ton of sense.

The previous poster was right, those files are connected to software on the machine. It's the graphics and sound effects for the OS and other software.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
The previous poster was right, those files are connected to software on the machine. It's the graphics and sound effects for the OS and other software.

This plus all the fonts and other rubbish you don't need. Not to mention languages and printers. As I said I always do a clean OSX install. I don't need that stuff. So why have it?

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
This plus all the fonts and other rubbish you don't need. Not to mention languages and printers. As I said I always do a clean OSX install. I don't need that stuff. So why have it?

A clean install won't get rid of fonts and languages. That is all part of the OS install. The only additional software is the iLife stuff.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
A clean install won't get rid of fonts and languages. That is all part of the OS install. The only additional software is the iLife stuff.

Sure you can. Just click on customize when installing OSX. Not sure what you are talking about.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Sure you can. Just click on customize when installing OSX. Not sure what you are talking about.

I did not perform a clean install,instead used monolingual to remove stuff I don't need and manually deleted Garageband and iMovie,disabled sleep image,freed a whole lot of space.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012

Sure but that is not something most people do. If you know exactly what you don't need and what won't jack things up by going missing you could save yourself maybe 5-8 GB or something like that. But none of what you mentioned is really bloatware like you find on a PC or such. A standard clean install (non-custom) on a PC will clear away tons of extra stuff put on by the manufacturer.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Sure but that is not something most people do. If you know exactly what you don't need and what won't jack things up by going missing you could save yourself maybe 5-8 GB or something like that. But none of what you mentioned is really bloatware like you find on a PC or such. A standard clean install (non-custom) on a PC will clear away tons of extra stuff put on by the manufacturer.

That is bloatware to me. For me bloatware= unnecessary programs that take significant space that I can use for other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.