Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I have tried a couple different browsers for my 4S and haven't been that impressed. The latest one was Chrome. How does anybody use that? It's buggy and lags when scrolling. I don't see any speed increases either, but lots of people swear by it.

What alternative browsers are you using and why are you using them?

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I am a heavy chrome iOS user, purely because of the synced passwords and all my bookmarks etc.

But I do definitely use Safari when it comes to wanting to do a quick google search as it loads the app and pages much faster.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
i like chromes ui and its little touches but nothing beats safari when it comes to speed

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
What are you guys taking about? Apple artificially restricts the performance of Google Chrome to force Safari on everyone. In fact Google Chrome is just Safari set to run slower.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
SafAri on our iMac and safari on my iPhone. They play well together nicely.

Same. Nothing beats first-party unless the first party is Microsoft.

----------

What are you guys taking about? Apple artificially restricts the performance of Google Chrome to force Safari on everyone. In fact Google Chrome is just Safari set to run slower.

They're talking about how Chrome is slower, and it is. Why it's slower is irrelevant. But it is also sliiightly slower for me in Mac OS, but more importantly, it lacks good extensions and takes more than double the RAM.

Dammi

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Munich, Germany
The preload option makes Chrome a clear winner in terms of speed. The page is loaded before I even click go. And as i'm Chrome user on my Mac, the sync function is quite neat. And actually the design as well. Apple seriously needs to step up its game in terms of their built-in apps.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
That is not true, but what browser do you use

Hell yes it is true that I would rather stick a fork in my eye. I use Opera Mobile and Google Chrome. Here is a page discussing Web browser restrictions in iOS: http://www.quora.com/WebKit/Are-all-web-browsers-on-iOS-required-to-use-the-WebKit-kernel

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Use Safari on both iOS and OSX,and wasn't it mentioned in some article that Safari on iOS uses some nitro boost or something to make it faster than other browsers ?

dellAbait

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
safari is the best... i bought atomic web... it stopped playing audio... d/l google chrome... it stopped playing audio. Those 3rd party browsers with all their features are glitchy and bulky

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
iOS Chrome may be a TAD slower, but the other features more than make up for it. i dont care if it takes a website .8 seconds to load vs .5 on safari.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I second Dolphin. Been using it for awhile and it's pretty good, IMO. But I'm biased against Safari because I hate it on all platforms.

There is also Roccat, which I have not used much in iOS but on the Mac it's a social browser (Facebook/Twitter integration) using webkit. The iOS version works like Safari in the sense that it interfaces with Roccat on the Mac. Open tab integration, etc.

Dolphin is free, Roccat is not (on iOS anyway).

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I love safari in iOS and OSX but it is horrible on windows(still use it anyway in bootcamp just because of synced bookmarks). For iOS and OSX safari is better then chrome in every way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.