Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akwaaba

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
Now with 11.0.1, not only can I not view playlists in shuffled order, but I can't move songs within a playlist. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Akwaaba

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
Do you have the playlist sorted by a column other than the first one perchance?

No, it is sorted by first column. But the problem resolved itself after quitting iTunes. Still cannot view playlists in shuffled order though.

----------

No it isn't. iTunes is bit perfect if you want it to be, and all sorts of plugins exist if you don't.

I'm not sure VLC is a solution for my main gripe with iTunes 11. Do you know of any plugins that will show and sync playlists in shuffled order as iTunes did before v11?

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
No it isn't. iTunes is bit perfect if you want it to be, and all sorts of plugins exist if you don't.

A westinghouse LCD is 'bit perfect' also; no one in their right mind would choose one over a sony xbr or samsung.

A sony ps3 is 'bit perfect' as is oppo. Yet, oppo looks far better.

You 'can't tell the difference' between 720 and 1080 at 7 feet, but you actually can see the difference.

Keep enjoying the 'apple is perfect' koolaid. It seems you have a lifetime supply, lol. :)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
A westinghouse LCD is 'bit perfect' also; no one in their right mind would choose one over a sony xbr or samsung.

A sony ps3 is 'bit perfect' as is oppo. Yet, oppo looks far better.

You 'can't tell the difference' between 720 and 1080 at 7 feet, but you actually can see the difference.

Keep enjoying the 'apple is perfect' koolaid. It seems you have a lifetime supply, lol. :)

I don't think you understand what bit perfect is or why it's important.

It has nothing to do with Apple, but to people who care about sound quality, it's an important feature that an audio player offer. It's fine that you want to use another media player, but trying to ding iTunes for its sound quality is not an argument you are going to win.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Is there no way to return to the old album look with album artwork at the left column and a list view?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I have heard of songs not appearing but not experienced it

Do they show up in the 'Recently Added' Playlist?

If they do, try a restart of itunes or a wait for X amount of time and restart iTunes (I have heard of them appearing after an amount of time ranging upto the next day)

Nope. They just don't appear to show up anywhere, yet iTunes, in its twisted innards, does recognize they exist *somewhere*...

I got back and checked, and they *still* do not show up... Best the 5th Ave. Apple Store said was to call Apple Care and ask them what the issue was and see if they can find the tunes somewhere.

Again, not loving iTunes 11. IMO, avoid it, if you can...

EDIT: As far as songs ripped appearing the next day, that's just stupid on Apple's part. The cute tech that helped me at the Cube said that she thinks that Apple hammered on iTunes because they want all of us to just use iTunes and iTunes Match, which also explains the reason for dropping DVD/CD drives from more products.

I personally feel that if that is what Apple wants to do, they need to 'man up' to their tactics and tell us that is they way they want things to go. They are pulling a huge power grab from what I can see. It's not very subtle either. I think in the 'Steve Jobs (TM)' days, the grabbing was a lot more nuanced and subtle...

But anyway...

Last edited:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Nope. They just don't appear to show up anywhere, yet iTunes, in its twisted innards, does recognize they exist *somewhere*...

I got back and checked, and they *still* do not show up... Best the 5th Ave. Apple Store said was to call Apple Care and ask them what the issue was and see if they can find the tunes somewhere.

Again, not loving iTunes 11. IMO, avoid it, if you can...

EDIT: As far as songs ripped appearing the next day, that's just stupid on Apple's part. The cute tech that helped me at the Cube said that she thinks that Apple hammered on iTunes because they want all of us to just use iTunes and iTunes Match, which also explains the reason for dropping DVD/CD drives from more products.

I personally feel that if that is what Apple wants to do, they need to 'man up' to their tactics and tell us that is they way they want things to go. They are pulling a huge power grab from what I can see. It's not very subtle either. I think in the 'Steve Jobs (TM)' days, the grabbing was a lot more nuanced and subtle...

But anyway...

I agree, that does look like what they want to do, not the direction I want to take

not sure if you have seen this topic (last post)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1500427/

talks abut the same issue, and deselecting the option to show itunes in the cloud seemed to work (probably not good for Match subscribers)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I agree, that does look like what they want to do, not the direction I want to take

not sure if you have seen this topic (last post)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1500427/

talks abut the same issue, and deselecting the option to show itunes in the cloud seemed to work (probably not good for Match subscribers)

Interesting...

I did try to search for the tracks, but possibly searched on the hard drive rather than 'The Cloud (TM)'.

I see the advantage of iTunes Match as being very small. How many places have Wi-Fi that you can use in places you want to listen to stuff from 'The Cloud (TM)'. Yeah, like this weekend, I am going to pay (through the nose) for Delta airline's GoGo internet to listen to music I am also paying for just to not be bored on the long flight and one and on...

If Apple wants to get ME to do iTunes Match, they have to make Wi-Fi ubiquitous and FREE everywhere! I mean, it's bad enough that I *bought* the music, now I have to *pay* to listen to it, and *pay* to listen to it where I currently are. Not to mention that if *everyone* was listening to the service on the same flight, *no one* would be happy...

/rant...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The point of Match isn't to put nothing on the iPhone and get it all from the cloud. It's to put just the most listened to stuff on there, saving space, and just use Match to get the occasional song that's not on there when the urge comes up. Or load up with a bunch of music when you have wifi available, then next time you're somewhere it's available again, swap some or all of it for fresh material you haven't heard in a while.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The point of Match isn't to put nothing on the iPhone and get it all from the cloud. It's to put just the most listened to stuff on there, saving space, and just use Match to get the occasional song that's not on there when the urge comes up. Or load up with a bunch of music when you have wifi available, then next time you're somewhere it's available again, swap some or all of it for fresh material you haven't heard in a while.

Exactly. I keep a playlist of music on the phone same as I always have, except I now also have access to my complete library any time I have network access. I also get my complete library on my computer at work.

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2009
UK
Now with 11.0.1, not only can I not view playlists in shuffled order, but I can't move songs within a playlist. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

You probably have it as a "Smart Playlist" rather than a "Playlist"

I had the same problem. My way of getting around it was to create a new playlist> Drag and drop all selected songs into the new playlist, then delete the old one. There are probably shorter or easier methods, but that worked for me.

Akwaaba

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
You probably have it as a "Smart Playlist" rather than a "Playlist"

I had the same problem. My way of getting around it was to create a new playlist> Drag and drop all selected songs into the new playlist, then delete the old one. There are probably shorter or easier methods, but that worked for me.

No, it was a regular playlist. The problem went away after quitting iTunes, but it has happened again a couple of times. Must be yet another bug. :mad:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Consistency throughout the OS died with the release of Lion, and continues in an ever-increasing number of directions.

The functionality will almost certainly return. iTunes has never been consistent with the rest of the OS. That's mostly due to its Carbon origins, but nowadays the need for Windows compatibility probably plays into it, too. Nevertheless it's actually gotten a lot better over time. And at least the green Zoom button finally works the way you'd expect it to. If only they would get rid of that damn modal preferences window. :eek:

psg2000

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
UK
another bug is when trying to add a track to an existing playlist, it often doesn't

please let us go back to a fully functioning itunes
:apple:

chrishe

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
london
imovie 11 crashing

my imovie 11 crashes everytime i try to import from my panasonic sd60 camcorder.tried everything to try to fix it,any thoughts would be great

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
another bug is when trying to add a track to an existing playlist, it often doesn't

please let us go back to a fully functioning itunes
:apple:

I thought this was a bug, but it was adding tracks to device playlists rather than the iTunes playlists. It's kind of an annoying new feature.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I haven't "upgraded" to iTunes 11 yet.

Based on all that I've read I don't think I ever will.

Too bad that Apple took away the features that people like, but didn't improve performance and speed very much if at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.