Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
New iPhone 5 makes a rattling noise when shaken, like there is something loose inside. I thought it was the on/off button at first but it isn't. I made a video showing the problem. Is this normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gseu4XYVuEU&sns=em

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
If it feels substantial, it's the battery. They have a problem with the adhesive coming loose. Trip to Apple store will fix this.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
I also read that the camera was making a rattling noise on some iPhones...

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Well, went to the Apple Store, talk to one of the geniuses, and he said that the sound was normal, and that it comes from one of the lenses from the camera. So I just kept my phone.

I just wonder how come my old iPhone didn't make that sound? I can even hear it when I put my phone down. I think I'm going to try it again next week or after Christmas. I do have 30 days after all.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
NOT ALL iPHONE 5'S DO THIS!!! I bet the OP can put the phone to his ear and hear the sound without shaking it. Obviously they didn't tighten all the pieces in the camera or something. My launch day iPhone 5 did this.

The phone will work fine, but its very annoying that you can hear it rattle all the time. A normal iPhone 5 will only rattle when you TAP ON THE LENS.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
NOT ALL iPHONE 5'S DO THIS!!! I bet the OP can put the phone to his ear and hear the sound without shaking it. Obviously they didn't tighten all the pieces in the camera or something. My launch day iPhone 5 did this.

The phone will work fine, but its very annoying that you can hear it rattle all the time. A normal iPhone 5 will only rattle when you TAP ON THE LENS.

Actually it only rattles when I shake the phone, tap on the lens, or but the phone down. Still annoying though.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Actually it only rattles when I shake the phone, tap on the lens, or but the phone down. Still annoying though.

If you put the phone to your ear, like when your on a call you should hear it SLIGHTLY moving.

I can tell you right now that the majority of iPhone 5s DO NOT DO THIS. Its just one of those things were some people (the NON OCD I like to call them haha) will not notice.

Its just like the iPhone 4S and 5 having loose/rattling sleep wake buttons. Most people pass it off as "normal".

Every iPhone 5 camera will rattle when you tap on the lens. If you shake it, it shouldn't be as loud as yours is. I'd return it and re buy it since they won't give you another one.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
If you put the phone to your ear, like when your on a call you should hear it SLIGHTLY moving.

I can tell you right now that the majority of iPhone 5s DO NOT DO THIS. Its just one of those things were some people (the NON OCD I like to call them haha) will not notice.

Its just like the iPhone 4S and 5 having loose/rattling sleep wake buttons. Most people pass it off as "normal".

Every iPhone 5 camera will rattle when you tap on the lens. If you shake it, it shouldn't be as loud as yours is. I'd return it and re buy it since they won't give you another one.

Yeah, I think I will be doing that. Just to be sure, I have 30 days to return it right? And do I just show up and return it or do I have to make an appointment to return stuff?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, I think I will be doing that. Just to be sure, I have 30 days to return it right? And do I just show up and return it or do I have to make an appointment to return stuff?

Depends on where you bought it? If you bought it from Apple as an upgrade then you have 14 days. IF you bought it outright ($649, 749, 849) then you have 30 days.

If you bought it from AT&T you have 14 days plus a $35 restocking fee.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Depends on where you bought it? If you bought it from Apple as an upgrade then you have 14 days. IF you bought it outright ($649, 749, 849) then you have 30 days.

If you bought it from AT&T you have 14 days plus a $35 restocking fee.

30 days apple store, not 14, 14 days is for your contract

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
30 days apple store, not 14, 14 days is for your contract

They need to be able to reset your contract to exchange the phone for a close box one, so after 14 day all you can do is return your phone for a full refund and you will lose your upgrade and be locked in a contract.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
They need to be able to reset your contract to exchange the phone for a close box one, so after 14 day all you can do is return your phone for a full refund and you will lose your upgrade and be locked in a contract.

If you do a full return yes, your screwing yourself at that point, either way after 14 days your stuck, or you can do and exchange within that 30 day period.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I got it at the Apple store on the 10th when I was eligible to upgrade. So if I want to return it and get my money back, do I have only 14 days to do it?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
This excessive camera rattle is annoying, but it really doesn't affect performance or anything does it?

I'd hate for the OP to get a phone with a worse issue.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011

If you do a full return yes, your screwing yourself at that point, either way after 14 days your stuck, or you can do and exchange within that 30 day period.

you can't exchange after 14 days.

----------

I got it at the Apple store on the 10th when I was eligible to upgrade. So if I want to return it and get my money back, do I have only 14 days to do it?

yes 14 days.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
This excessive camera rattle is annoying, but it really doesn't affect performance or anything does it?

I'd hate for the OP to get a phone with a worse issue.

No, it doesn't. Besides that issue, my phone works great. Super fast.

And I thought about that. I would hate to end up with a phone with a worse issue.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
No, it doesn't. Besides that issue, my phone works great. Super fast.

And I thought about that. I would hate to end up with a phone with a worse issue.

Hmmmmm. Maybe go back to the store and ask for another employee's opinion. Compare your phone to a store phone and see what they say?

If they do agree to exchange it, I'd thoroughly examine the replacement before you leave.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
All my iPhones from the 3GS to the 5 has had this. It is likely the camera because the noise lessens slightly when the camera is activated. However I believe it can be considered defective if it is really bad. Mine sounds like there's pebbles or gravel inside. When I use Siri, the confirmation beep makes the whole phone shake. It makes the phone sound really cheap.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Where is the vibrator located? Because the noise is coming from the camera area.

The vibrator is located in the top left corner, the opposing side of your sleep/wake button.

They all rattle when they are tapped, even the 4S and 4 does it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.