Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
How is quality control on the new unlocked iPhone 5? Would love to hear from people who just ordered one from Apple? Any issues with:

Home buttons?
Scratches, dings, or scuffs?
Screen creaking?
Bad earpieces?
Rattling sleep wake buttons?

These were issues posted on these forums. Just wondering if Apple QC has picked up since September.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
No problem of any sort. No scratches, fast Wi-Fi, good batter life.
Just that my T-mobile 3G sucks. So if you are planning to use on T-mobile's pseudo 3G network, spend a bit more and be happy on AT&T or Verizon. I have been 10+ years on T-mobile and was happy on their 4G network. But their 1900 Mhz refarming is shoddy, sparse and weak. A fine phone such as an iPhone 5 should not be wasted on T-mobile's network.
How is quality control on the new unlocked iPhone 5? Would love to hear from people who just ordered one from Apple? Any issues with:

Home buttons?
Scratches, dings, or scuffs?
Screen creaking?
Bad earpieces?
Rattling sleep wake buttons?

These were issues posted on these forums. Just wondering if Apple QC has picked up since September.

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
I got my unlocked iPhone 5 (64GB, Black Slate) about two months ago; FYI- Unlocked iP5 are available to Canadians since the release date in September although I ordered mine a month later. It arrived in flawless condition and as I've pointed out in a different thread, the anodizing turned out to be quite durable provided, of course, that you apply the most basic of common sense.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
An unlocked iphone is exactly the same as the one you will get with any mobile company.

The latest production of iphone 5 is flawless like everything from Apple.

It was good luck to have buy the iphone 5 one month later.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
They actually use a completely different manufacturing process, you're getting 3rd hand parts from Burkina Faso put into the device.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
They actually use a completely different manufacturing process, you're getting 3rd hand parts from Burkina Faso put into the device.

This.

With Plutonium widgets and Titanium sprockets.

And the Bugelsleiven has been increased to 35% effectiveness (in sunlight).

The unlocked model is they way to go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.