Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nordicappeal

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Google Maps - the best

So Apple could you please replace you ****** Maps with the real Google Maps - sick and tired of all the faults and apple's useless maps app.

So pleases Google made this and guess google is pleased now - every one know who make the best map app.

You lost this one Apple!!!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Went to check my iPhone 3Gs this morning and the battery was completely dead, took about 15 minutes hooked up to my Mac before it came back to life, charging now.

I have charged it last night so it should have been fine for today. My only guess is I was playing with the new navigating on the Google Maps and had not canceled the trip, maybe it was on all night until the battery drained? I did notice it was warmer than normal when charging.

The only reason the trip was still programmed was I could not find a way to end/cancel the trip. I think I have now but it appears you need to manually quite the program to turn it off fully, at least on my 3Gs.

Any GPS-based app is going to burn through your battery at some pace, but some are worse than others. This 1.0 version seems to be worse than most. Must be that whole 24/7 location tracking thing Eric Schmidt is so fond of.

Put in an address then pull up the address tab at the bottom of the screen, it should be there if available.

Yeah, the UX is atrocious.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
The new Google Map uses vector graphics while the old one was plain bitmap. The former is much more CPU intensive than simply displaying a bitmap picture.

So why is Apple Maps (which also use vector maps) much smoother on iPhone 4 than Google Maps?

Is there still some more optimization that Google has to do or is it just that their maps are more detailed and have more layers?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Any GPS-based app is going to burn through your battery at some pace, but some are worse than others. This 1.0 version seems to be worse than most. Must be that whole 24/7 location tracking thing Eric Schmidt is so fond of.
I agree, you just have to be careful as like I said you can end up with a dead phone within hours.

Yeah, the UX is atrocious.
It's a learning curve.

I try it when needed, but unless I get a phone holder I'll be using my Garmin in the car. But its still nice to have another option, bring on the Google Maps Errors!

BuzzMega

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
Google Whoopsie

Of course, first thing I did was compare the two looking at my house and surrounding area. Apple shows my orbiting 3D house with recent image. Google relies on older image in this area. Point goes to Apple.

Apple's streets in standard map view are proportionally as wide as their number of lanes. Point goes to Apple.

Two blocks from my home is a closed-off street segment. Apple shows it as not going through, but Google gets it wrong. Point goes to Apple.

I don't need public transport. Point goes to neither.

Google has street view. Gains a point.

Apple has 3D buildings in my area. Gains a point.

Apple has more POIs around town. Point to Apple.

I prefer both.

wastedyuthe

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Birmingham, UK
The only things I don't like:

1) How it sets Home and Work locations. I'd love the option to select a point on the map as either instead of having to type in a location. Both my Home and Work locations cannot be entered accurately this way. Work is further down the road than where it actually is, and my Home address has to be No.13 instead of No.22 for it to be in the correct location on the road.
2) No ability to name your saved locations. I want to name them instead of them just being the name and number of a street.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
The only things I don't like:

1) How it sets Home and Work locations. I'd love the option to select a point on the map as either instead of having to type in a location. Both my Home and Work locations cannot be entered accurately this way. Work is further down the road than where it actually is, and my Home address has to be No.13 instead of No.22 for it to be in the correct location on the road.
2) No ability to name your saved locations. I want to name them instead of them just being the name and number of a street.

I'm sure you know where you work and where you live, so surely the addresses you can enter are close enough? And probably safer anyway.

wastedyuthe

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Birmingham, UK
I'm sure you know where you work and where you live, so surely the addresses you can enter are close enough? And probably safer anyway.

Of course. But my navigon app can have the exact position i want. Just saying being able to mark a point on the map as Home or Work would be a good option in instances where merely typing in an address won't be as accurate.

TroyCola

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
Is Apple's map offering really that bad? I haven't experienced any issues and I find Apple's application visually more superior than Google's map offering. Just my opinion though.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Of course, first thing I did was compare the two looking at my house and surrounding area. Apple shows my orbiting 3D house with recent image. Google relies on older image in this area. Point goes to Apple.

Apple's streets in standard map view are proportionally as wide as their number of lanes. Point goes to Apple.

Two blocks from my home is a closed-off street segment. Apple shows it as not going through, but Google gets it wrong. Point goes to Apple.

I don't need public transport. Point goes to neither.

Google has street view. Gains a point.

Apple has 3D buildings in my area. Gains a point.

Apple has more POIs around town. Point to Apple.

I prefer both.

You're one of the lucky ones living in an area where Apple Maps actually isn't bad. Wish I can say the same thing for me.

No 3D Maps locally (not a big deal for me), but the POI difference between GMaps and Apple's is huge.

I'm always searching POIs while on the go, for restaurants, businesses etc... and with Google Maps it finds probably 8-9 out of 10 and they're all accurate. On Apple Maps, same POIs, 4 are missing, and from the remaining six 3 are in the wrong location.

I've also been submitting error and omission reports for months, not a single fix has been implemented. So much for Apple taking Maps seriously. :cool:

Having said that, I do prefer the look and feel of Apple Maps and it's very fluid on my iPhone 4 whereas GMaps is a little choppy sometimes (esp during panning and zooming). Google makes up for that by adding full turn-by-turn voice guidance to my iP4 which is nice. :)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

TroyCola

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
Tried it out and it's only okay.

Some observations:
-Bummed that I can't view directions from the lock screen, nor do they show up in the header when I leave the maps app to do something else on my phone. Sounds silly, but I'm not always the one driving so it's nice to be able to actually use your phone while getting directions.
-Definitely not as clean as apple maps, but that's okay.
-Awesome how it shows you how far away a place is just by searching, you don't have to pick a route before seeing how long it will take you.
-Apple maps has a better overview and better switching between overview and directions.
-Apple maps rules in that if I am going somewhere I can search for say 'Starbucks' and it finds me starbucks that are along my route. Google maps doesn't do that... that is probably that greatest innovation in maps that iOS has seen, and google didn't include it.
-No 3D maps is a bummer, I know there is google earth, but come on...
-Also the city view isn't as nice, to be able to see restauraunts or coffee shops you have to zoom in super far and it's kinda pointless.

They both have good and bad features. I'll use apple maps to find where I am going, and if it's wrong then I'll use google to get the correct address, though I haven't been mislead yet *fingers crossed*

Using both apple and goolge maps together will be great.

Agreed! Good post!

wastedyuthe

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Birmingham, UK
Is Apple's map offering really that bad? I haven't experienced any issues and I find Apple's application visually more superior than Google's map offering. Just my opinion though.

All I know is Apple Maps is around 8 years out of date for my local roads. There is one section where one road has now been built on with residential homes and it completely alters the layout. This was around 8 years ago or longer. Apple still shows the old layout. Yet in Satellite view it shows the new layout (with the old road name going through the houses). That alone puts Apple Maps in the "complete joke" department. I immediately reported the issue and it is still not resolved.

TroyCola

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
All I know is Apple Maps is around 8 years out of date for my local roads. There is one section where one road has now been built on with residential homes and it completely alters the layout. This was around 8 years ago or longer. Apple still shows the old layout. Yet in Satellite view it shows the new layout (with the old road name going through the houses). That alone puts Apple Maps in the "complete joke" department. I immediately reported the issue and it is still not resolved.
Yeah, i agree that's pretty bad! I live in a major city and I use Apple's application mainly to get around locally, so maybe that's why I haven't had any issues to date.

I think the next release will blow Google's application off the map.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Of course. But my navigon app can have the exact position i want. Just saying being able to mark a point on the map as Home or Work would be a good option in instances where merely typing in an address won't be as accurate.

I don't see why being a few houses off is an issue though?

Theoretical situation, but one that has happened in the past - your car is stolen with your phone/sat nav, house keys etc inside. The burglars simply have to set the sat nav to home, then take your house keys, load up your stuff, then bugger off. My phone is set to home, which is fine as I'd be able to lock the device as soon as it was stolen, however, my dedicated sat nav device is set to my local Police station.

----------

No. It isn't. The POI's are a bit crap, but no complaints with routing or map displays in my area.

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
26 Pages for Google praise on a Apple rumors forum.

WOW! :)

Google maps are great though. Enjoying hassle free mapping experience again :)

blinkin357

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
Disappointed with New Google Maps

We have found using the new Google maps to be difficult.

It's not intrinsic like the Apple maps. I just want to enter a destination and have the mapping route me there. Google wants FROM and TO first and no fields open up to enter them. I can't use my contacts list with Google. That's where most of my destination addresses exist.

Hopefully Google will simplify the interfaces and link to our contacts list. Then I'll be a happy trooper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.