Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Cjshino
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
after 'trying' 4 laptops in the past month I finally found the Mac Air

I tried an HP laptop, two Acer Ultrabooks and an Asus over the past month and Im finally satisfied with my new 11' Air even though the other laptops have more/better features in some regards. I love everything about MBA. With its sleek design, user interface and build quality im glad i bought it. This is my main computer and while a lot of people say the 13' is better because of the screen Im perfectly fine with an 11' screen. So why did you guys get a MBA over other laptops?
Cheers
Cjshino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2
TouchArchive
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
 
see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjshino View Post
I tried an HP laptop, two Acer Ultrabooks and an Asus over the past month and Im finally satisfied with my new 11' Air even though the other laptops have more/better features in some regards. I love everything about MBA. With its sleek design, user interface and build quality im glad i bought it. This is my main computer and while a lot of people say the 13' is better because of the screen Im perfectly fine with an 11' screen. So why did you guys get a MBA over other laptops?
Cheers
I am windows users,but now i have MBA 13' mid 2012.Like it so much!
Primary laptop for me.TouchPad so sensitive like iPad and iPhone.
__________________
Join our staff just PM me.
: apple: iPhone 5 16GB Black
: apple: iPad 2 16GB WiFi Black
: apple: MacBook Air 13' mid2012
TouchArchive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:14 PM   #3
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winnipeg,Canada/New Delhi India
First reason-integration of OSX with iOS and the build quality,trust in and being a first time OSX user,just love it over Win7.And MBA is pretty darn good value for money too !
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display- Late 2013 2.4/8/256, iPhone 5 16GB
AnorexicPig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:17 PM   #4
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicPig View Post
First reason-integration of OSX with iOS and the build quality,trust in and being a first time OSX user,just love it over Win7.And MBA is pretty darn good value for money too !
Being a relatively long-time OS X user I absolutely HATE the OS X/iOS integration.
__________________
Sexual intercourse is a poor substitute for masturbation. - Quentin Crisp
colourfastt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia, USA
Reliability, ease of use, longevity, iOs OSX integration. Not to mention they are pretty.
__________________
2012 MBA 13, 2 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; 2011 MBA 11, 1.8 Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD; 2010 MB Pro 15, 2.66 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; two iPad 3s and a mini, two iPhones and a bunch of iPods
wolfpuppies3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:48 PM   #6
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winnipeg,Canada/New Delhi India
Quote:
Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
Being a relatively long-time OS X user I absolutely HATE the OS X/iOS integration.
To each his own,but I really like it,makes life easier for me.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display- Late 2013 2.4/8/256, iPhone 5 16GB
AnorexicPig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:57 PM   #7
sostoobad
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston
I would say the OS and resale value, and yes the 11" is just too cool...in a car world comparison..the 11" is like a Fiat X1/9 for those who remember it, I have owned 2 of those pupsters....100% pure fun...limited, yes, only holds 2 people yes....BUT all the excitment of a small Ferrari...YES...and that is their quote.

The MBA 11" truly is the Fiat X1/9
sostoobad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:20 PM   #8
nStyle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
The 11" is a nifty little device... but I just dont understand: when you are spending $1k anyway... why not pay a couple hundred more for a much (relatively speaking) bigger screen? (not to mention twice the HD space)
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Dominus Mortem
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
The 11" is a nifty little device... but I just dont understand: when you are spending $1k anyway... why not pay a couple hundred more for a much (relatively speaking) bigger screen? (not to mention twice the HD space)
I think people who choose the 11" over the 13" do so for the ultra-portability. You can really take the 11" anywhere you could take an IPAD, whereas the 13" is another jump up in size. I pull out my 11" Air in places where even a 13" would struggle to fit. The 11" is just small enough to be almost invisible to people, it just goes beyond that size barrier that makes it something you can take anywhere. A woman could easily put a 11" Air in most purses whereas a 13" wouldn't fit in most. There's no bag I use for carrying stuff around the 11" won't fit in. It will fit in places a 13" just won't. This is NO way a dig on the 13", it's just a viewpoint on why a person might choose the 11" instead. I do miss the longer battery life, but honestly I've never had the 11" down below 45% yet.
Dominus Mortem is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:47 PM   #10
nStyle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
I think people who choose the 11" over the 13" do so for the ultra-portability. You can really take the 11" anywhere you could take an IPAD, whereas the 13" is another jump up in size. I pull out my 11" Air in places where even a 13" would struggle to fit. The 11" is just small enough to be almost invisible to people, it just goes beyond that size barrier that makes it something you can take anywhere. A woman could easily put a 11" Air in most purses whereas a 13" wouldn't fit in most. There's no bag I use for carrying stuff around the 11" won't fit in. It will fit in places a 13" just won't. This is NO way a dig on the 13", it's just a viewpoint on why a person might choose the 11" instead. I do miss the longer battery life, but honestly I've never had the 11" down below 45% yet.
Touche. I wasn't trying to shove my opinion down anyone's throat, I just feel from a financial standpoint, and using it as one's main computer, a 13" makes more sense.

But I totally see why someone who travels a lot would want the ultimate in portability.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
The 11" is a nifty little device... but I just dont understand: when you are spending $1k anyway... why not pay a couple hundred more for a much (relatively speaking) bigger screen? (not to mention twice the HD space)
Let me guess, u always order the Happy Meal because for another 50c u get fries too no matter how full ur. ^)

Once I bough a shoes 1/2 size bigger because it was on sales. Couldn't pass it up. After painful blisters I end up throwing it away and re-buy the correct size at retail. Lesson?
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:17 AM   #12
cedwhatev
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
I've had an 11" for over a year now, and absolutely love, and just bought my wife the new 13" MBA, and now I see what the fuss is about. I would have no issue purchasing a 13" for my next one, as they are also a great system. AWESOME battery life... something I may consider if they don't improve the 11" battery life. I just really love the ultra-portability, that's all....
__________________
MacBook Air 11" 2013 1.3GHz, 8GB, 256SSD
cedwhatev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:53 AM   #13
Ztormie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Let me guess, u always order the Happy Meal because for another 50c u get fries too no matter how full ur. ^)

Once I bough a shoes 1/2 size bigger because it was on sales. Couldn't pass it up. After painful blisters I end up throwing it away and re-buy the correct size at retail. Lesson?
The lesson for you is to make better examples next time, because those sucked.
Ztormie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:29 AM   #14
philosopherdog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I went though the same process some years ago. I tried to buy a windows laptop to replace one that had died and I just couldn't find anything decent. As is common out there, I had an irrational hate for Apple, but after reading impartial reviews and giving my head a shake I tried a unibody when they first came out and I was completely blown away. But as far as the air being the best machine, it depends on a lot of factors. I personally sold mine and went for the 15 inch retina, and I also have 2 27 inch iMacs. But I'm a software developer. So I have different needs. Anyhow, enjoy your new discovery.
philosopherdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:46 AM   #15
beysus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
My old Sony laptop which is actually of great quality just wasn't portable enough (battery died after 6 months, it's a 15,4" screen, too heavy with 2.8kg). Of course it wasn't the fastest machine either now so I needed something new. I looked at all the laptops in the stores and found them so cheap: screen sucks, keyboard feels weird, the whole thing makes noises when you press somewhere too hard, things like that. So in order to get something of more quality I would have at least spend 1000 Euro on a Windows computer.

My sister was in need of a new laptop last year and she first wouldn't want a Mac, so she got a 900€ Sony. (I always told her to get a MacBook but she didn't want to.) One day in use: it was making some weird noise and one key fell off. I always thought you could rely on Sony devices but that was a true bummer. So she returned it and got finally a MacBook Pro and she absolutely loves it.

This summer it was finally my turn to get a new laptop. I always thought I'd get a MacBook Pro as well but then when Apple introduced the new Air I was like: "Damn, this beautifully slim thing got now enough power and space!" So I ended up getting the MacBook Air and I know it was the best choice made.

The OS actually helps the User and I've had no troubles yet with the Air recognizing devices etc.

A few years ago I wouldn't have bought a Apple laptop cause I couldn't justify getting a laptop with comparable less power and storage and not sooo many software to run. But things definitely changed over the years and I'm happy with my purchase.
__________________
13" MacBook Air; iPad Mini; iPhone 4S; iPod Touch 3rd Gen.; iPod Shuffle 1st Gen. Second
beysus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:09 AM   #16
knarzie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
Being a relatively long-time OS X user I absolutely HATE the OS X/iOS integration.
Anything in particular? We have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones, and no matter how hard I try to sync the calendars, something is always missing and I've stopped trusting it for anything important.
__________________
Unibody Macbook 2.4 GHz, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD
iPhone 4, 64GB, black
knarzie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:58 AM   #17
macs4nw
macrumors 68000
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
Being a relatively long-time OS X user I absolutely HATE the OS X/iOS integration.
Agree with you big time on this. They are two different animals; let's keep them separate. What's intuitive on a phone or a tablet, is not necessarily so on a desktop. We're definitely not getting the best of both worlds.

"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user". Tim Cook
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC