Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Aug 8, 2007, 03:28 PM   #1
fad115
macrumors member

OS X wont boot after bootcamp

HI i have a problem with my new macbook pro wich arrived today.
The problem happend after i installed bootcamp. After installing i rebooted the computer but after it rebooted nothing is happening. I cant get back to OSX and windows wont load because i havent installed it yet! When i boot i hear the normal sound, and i have a white screen clean. I have put in the OSX cd to try to reinstall OSX but it wont load, or i dont know how to.

Now that the OSX cd is in there it wont eject it anymore. Anyone have any thoughts that could help me it would be verry apreciated!

btw: I alread tried resetting nvram en pram, no results there.
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 03:59 PM   #2
vandlism
macrumors 6502

You can always force eject the cd when booting my holding down the mouse button. I would try holding down the option key while booting and seeing what happens.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 04:01 PM   #3
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Or holding down C to boot from the DVD.

You can also try to reset the Power management unit
  1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
  3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
  4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
  5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 04:06 PM   #4
fad115
macrumors member

I finnaly got the cd out of the drive, Holding down C to boot from OSX cd doesnt work. holding down shift and control and everything i found on the web doens work either... it was working so wel! now that i installed bootcamp everything is messed up.

I tried to reset the power management unit, and no luck.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 04:13 PM   #5
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Phone apple would be my next step

Also read through this recent post
Old Aug 8, 2007, 04:19 PM   #6
fad115
macrumors member

There is a apple seller in the city, i think i am going to walk in there.
The laptop is less then 5 hours old, i cant believe i broke it already...
If i go back, are they going to fix it and am i gonna lose it for wheeks?
Or do you think i get a replacement?

Ive read the topic, thnx i couldnt find that one by searching... i did find some on google, with the same problem. The topic you gave is almost precisly my problem.

Thnx for your help
Old Aug 8, 2007, 04:23 PM   #7
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fad115 View Post
There is a apple seller in the city, i think i am going to walk in there.
The laptop is less then 5 hours old, i cant believe i broke it already...
If i go back, are they going to fix it and am i gonna lose it for wheeks?
Or do you think i get a replacement?

Ive read the topic, thnx i couldnt find that one by searching... i did find some on google, with the same problem. The topic you gave is almost precisly my problem.

Thnx for your help
Sorry cant give specifics, partly because i'm the other side of the world(ish). It'll probably depend on a number of things:
  1. How dead it is
  2. If they have the parts
  3. if they just a replacement policy
  4. the mood of the guy
  5. etc.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 04:35 PM   #8
fad115
macrumors member

I think its pretty much beyond saving from a users point of view. I orderd the MBP online and had to wait 3 wheeks before it finnaly got shipped. I called to order it with my student discount from my ADC membership. After 3 wheeks (actually 1 1/2 months with saving money) 5 hours of fun... the irony. Well im actually happy it happend now, because it seems like the problem happens to others and not just me. Im better of bringing it back now then after 3 months of using it.

Guess ill find out what happens tomorrow, but before im gonna read into the apple policy because they are an official apple dealership so i think they should have the same policy.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 06:34 AM   #9
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fad115 View Post
I think its pretty much beyond saving from a users point of view. I orderd the MBP online and had to wait 3 wheeks before it finnaly got shipped. I called to order it with my student discount from my ADC membership. After 3 wheeks (actually 1 1/2 months with saving money) 5 hours of fun... the irony. Well im actually happy it happend now, because it seems like the problem happens to others and not just me. Im better of bringing it back now then after 3 months of using it.

Guess ill find out what happens tomorrow, but before im gonna read into the apple policy because they are an official apple dealership so i think they should have the same policy.
At least you are being pretty positive about this. Let us know what the prognosis is.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 06:57 AM   #10
Genghis Khan
macrumors 65816

it may seem simple

but before you turn on the computer hold down the 'alt/option' key and keep it held down...if nothing happens...try again

it's a long shot...but worth a try
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:16 AM   #11
maccanuck2006
macrumors member

This happened to me too with Boot Camp 1.3 on a brand new SR MBP that was less than 1 day old. My Windows XP CD refused to boot after I installed Boot Camp and I got the Windows BSOD.
I then rebooted holding down the option key to select OS X. I got the opeing chime then I saw the grey screen with the Apple Logo and the spinning rotary dial for about 2 minutes, and then then blue screen and then.....nothing. No OS X prompt, no progress bar, nothing.
I must have tried rebooting 10 times and reset PRAM 3 times. I didn't have my DVD at home so tried booting with my wife's Macbook 2g CD install DVD. Same thing, and I had to force eject the DVD. By that time it was about 0100hrs and I was getting pissed off, having thought that my replacement MBP had just fried its HD.
I called AppleCare the next morning at work. However while on hold I tried booting with the MBP install DVD and held down C for what seemed like an eternity before I was prompted with the OS X installation splash screen just as the technician came on the phone. It was a LOT longer from what I recall from previous OS X installs from a DVD.

Nothing seems to be wrong with the machine after I reinstalled OS X but I haven't dared try Bootcamp again until I can figure out what the bejeezus happened.

Good luck!

Last edited by maccanuck2006; Aug 9, 2007 at 07:21 AM.
maccanuck2006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:10 PM   #12
fad115
macrumors member

The apple genius couldn't help me and clarified it as DOA (dead on arrival). I didn't have time to go to the official apple store, so i went to one that was close to my work. Its not an afficial apple dealership, but a frnachise so they couldn't give me a new one on the spot. They told me to call apple to sort it out. I called right there in the store and explained the situation. They are sending me a new one but it will take the same time to send as the first one did. So im gonna have to wait for 3 wheeks again to get my new one. I'm not really cool about that so im thinking about callin apple again on monday.

The machine was beyond saving even by the genius. He did the same things i did and he said something about the hardrive beying dead. He could not get to boot the dvd of osx by holding down C. So the optical drive was also dead? or at least thats what he said. Its pretty strange to see a perfectly good computer going dead in a heartbeat. Oh wel i hope the next MBP is in perfect shape.

THnx for the replys!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:47 PM   #13
lakallo
macrumors newbie

Same here

i have the same problem, i used boot camp to install windows on my mac. the windows part boots up but the mac part just shows a white screen with the little loading spin and then it just restarts, i tryed holding c with the installation disk inside and nothing the same thing.......plz help
lakallo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:01 PM   #14
jmeguiar
macrumors newbie

Booting problems

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
Gave me good information on getting past this problem.
I am able to get back into my system and run from my original settings.

All is not lost with the attitude of "Can do" and a little research.

Hope this helps.
Jeff
jmeguiar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac