Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
Well obviously its the ecosystem that makes it great... I love how All my devices work well together, are reliable, function and form are great. I have friends who "love" their Android phones but still run an OS that is 2 generations ago and don't know how to update their phones.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Obviously since he started working for Samsung in August. He was working in Intel previously. His work is with Samsung. His personal preference is an Apple device. Why should he change it?

It is not mandatory for any employee to must use Samsung phone. His job is to ensure Samsung makes even more money. What he likes in his personal life is his choice.

What he said isn't wrong. Samsung is more of a device-centric company.

Ok. Fine.

I don't know samsung's policies.
I know that Microsoft removed Apple products from their employee purchasing program offerings, and would at least "frown upon" those employees who do use one. But that is a different story.

I don't care whether or not Young Sohn likes or uses any Apple products. I'm just surprised that any Samsung employee these days would go "on the record" saying that they own many Apple products, and like using them all.

These days I expect any company employee/representative would publicly praise their products as "better", even if it were a deliberate lie. I'm surprised he mentioned personally owning any Apple products at all. He didn't need to.

I suspect most companies would expect their employees to praise their products over the competition, whether or not it is true.

It's the same reason a Pepsi employee can't ever publicly drink Coca-cola, or a Budweiser employee can't drink any of their competitors beers either.

Many companies now think they own their employees while they are off the clock.

benjalamelami

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
What is really gonna happen is the Apple Ecosystem will be cloned to Samsung.

Easy as a pie. Thats why they hired him

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Ok. Fine.

I know that Microsoft removed Apple products from their employee purchasing program offerings, and would at least "frown upon" those employees who do use one. But that is a different story.

I don't care whether or not Young Sohn likes or uses any Apple products. I'm just surprised that any Samsung employee these days would go "on the record" saying that they own many Apple products, and like using them all.

These days I expect any company employee/representative would publicly praise their products as "better", even if it were a deliberate lie. I'm surprised he mentioned personally owning any Apple products at all. He didn't need to.

I suspect most companies would expect their employees to praise their products over the competition, whether or not it is true.

It's the same reason a Pepsi employee can't ever publicly drink Coca-cola, or a Budweiser employee can't drink any of their competitors beers either.

Apple pays Samsung a lot of money still for their parts.

It's not like HTC; I know someone who interned there and they said that, while some employees there have iPhones, the atmosphere is more what like you described. I also went to high school with someone who's dad worked for Panasonic and he forbid anyone in the family to use Sony products (they still did though, but he almost blew a gasket every time he caught them).

Can't blame them I guess. I've heard of the mighty clashes between Coca-Cola and Pepsi employees and their bizarre boycotting of certain businesses or restaurants.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
Ok. Fine.

Yes. It happens that many companies don't like employees using competitor's product. It's very obvious.

You also would have to take into account that this guy is new to Samsung - joined in August. He had been using Apple since a long time like he mentioned in the interview. He says apple is a more connection eco-system, which is true. He mentions Samsung has better devices, but not integrated as apple devices.
What he says is logical. But most executives don't talk so openly about competition. How the board looks into this is totally different. It's quite possible that he might be losing his yearly bonus.

dacalo

macrumors member
May 10, 2009
I am not loyal to any brand phone wise. I started my iPhone experience with a 3GS and also got a 4. Wife used a 3GS and she has a 4s now. After the 4, I tried Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, and currently I own a Note 2. As much as I loved the iPhone and invested a lot in the apps, I can't really justify going back at the moment. I love Note 2's large screen and awesome battery life. I hope Apple introduces some innovative ideas for future iPhones.

----------

Ok. Fine.

If you knew how BIG Samsung is, you would know. Samsung doesn't only make cellphones. They make chemicals, LCD's, RAM, SOCs, engines, do constructions, medical equipment, ships, you name it. Do a little research, and you will understand that their mobile division is just a sliver of the conglomerate.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
CloudSUNG and SUNGtunes

only a few months away.

Plus the new iCopy Apple TV when it's ready.

They make decent televisions. I don't see what is interesting about the misuse of nomenclature.

Bad idea. Samsung could turn around and print Apple SVP of Internet Experience Eddy Cue's internal letter that started them on the road to make the iPad Mini... after he used a Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet:

I view that as a combination of factors. First he determined it was a fully usable form factor, which is obviously important. The lower cost of entry should stimulate sales, especially to customers buying for their kids. The mini might be a better form factor for kid sized hands anyway. When I view Apple's advertising, it seems to heavily target kids hoping to hook them on Apple products early on.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
With the culture at Samsung, I'm very surprised he admitted to this in an interview unless he is already getting ready to leave the country.

When our engineers visit Samsung, their iPhones are placed into plastic bags that are sealed. The same thing does NOT happen to Samsung phones brought into the facility.

Samsung's stuff is just not as nice to use as Apple's.

I've tried a lot, including their latest offerings like the SIII & the Note to me they just seem to lack an x-factor. Not sure how else to explain it.

disagree, i love samsung TVs, there are simply no other brands that are so aesthetically and visually pleasing...

as for phones and tablets, samsung lags far behind

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
disagree, i love samsung TVs, there are simply no other brands that are so aesthetically and visually pleasing...

as for phones and tablets, samsung lags far behind

Yeah I like their TV's all of my TV's are Samsung/LG, I guess Samsung are like Philips. Philips mens shavers are awesome but Philips TV's= total crap. I guess some companies are good at certain things, but in other fields not so much.

Samsung don't really focus in a specific field. They also make fridges, washers, and all sorts of other domestic appliances as well.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Many apps are also available on Android with no alternative in iOS. How did the map work out and you guys literally begging for google maps?

What do you have like Tasker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

Do you something like DSLR Controller? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller&hl=en

So I switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy SII and a iPad2 to a Note 10.1.... but there was an app like DSLR controller for the iPhone. I don't remember the name but I know I used it 2-3 years ago (and it was running on a 3GS).

And yes, you're right... there's a lot of cool apps on the Google Play store that have no counterpart in the App Store (I like "llama"). But I'd still agree that the App Store overall has more "polished" apps. I had some really cool music apps on my iPad (Korg iElectribe, IMS20) which don't have a counterpart on the Google Play Store.

Pages, keynote etc., are all part of Apple. No android users are even bothered about any apple-made apps. How many android users do you see are dying to use apple-apps?

I'd actually like to see a GarageBand-like app for the Android system. I'm aware there are programs like Caustic which have some overlap... but nothing I've seen on Android has the same function and polish as the Apple app.

Can we just say each side has their own strengths and weaknesses and not get into a big pissing match? :eek:

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
Finally, an honest Samsung employee!

This is getting ridiculous.

Branching out from the absolutely idiotic claim that Samsung "stole" something from Apple suddenly every employee at Samsung is not honest, suddenly everything Samsung dreams about is stealing from other people etc. etc....

I know people say it in jest but this is just getting more and more ridiculous.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Actually, the guy is repeating the core argument from all the posts scattered around the intrawebs:

-Samsung (many Android device makers for that matter) makes spec-rich phones for spec-happy consumers
-Apple provides a better unified experience for spec-indifferent consumers

It will be interesting to see if Samsung can get out of the "moar features" mentality of Sony and focus on the unified consumer experience model instead.

This coming from someone that bought Sony Vaio rigs for almost a decade....even when they totally jumped the shark with that stupid Clie click wheel on the side of the laptop.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Actually, the guy is repeating the core argument from all the posts scattered around the intrawebs:

-Samsung (many Android device makers for that matter) makes spec-rich phones for spec-happy consumers
-Apple provides a better unified experience for spec-indifferent consumers

It will be interesting to see if Samsung can get out of the "moar features" mentality of Sony and focus on the unified consumer experience model instead.

This coming from someone that bought Sony Vaio rigs for almost a decade....even when they totally jumped the shark with that stupid Clie click wheel on the side of the laptop.

I agree but I think there's a tradeoff that many folks are missing when it comes to the Android/iOS topics.

Some folks may just want that one or a few features that the iPhone won't offer, or iOS doesn't have the services they want. So they have a choice, continue using a device that plays well with others and loose productivity, or loose out on having a completely integrated system yet gain a device that really works just fine as an island.

I was TOTAL Apple Fanboy (I am calling myself one mods!) up until the early years of the iPhone. Now, everything is still based in Cupertino save for my handset, which really does a nice job pushing my iPad and Macbook to the backseat.

I don't necessarily think folks jumping ship are looking for a feature rich phone, they will however never be satisfied if Samsung and others (save for Apple for the most part) don't get the ecosystem thing done right.

On the other hand, Apple really does need to start putting the pedal to the metal with it's features and streamlining/updating iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.