Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Unlike some people, I use Spotlight a lot. The cache means it is really fast. But Launching it is a pain. I have to press Home button 2-3 times slowly (to avoid showing the multitasking bar) and it sucks. Is there an easier gesture somehow or a shortcut without Jailbreaking?

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Around 3 seconds wait is too slow? What are you doing that makes you need to search so quick? :D

As to your question, there's no other quicker way of getting into Spotlight, the home button was intended to be the quickest way (not quick enough for you though :p)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Unlike some people, I use Spotlight a lot. The cache means it is really fast. But Launching it is a pain. I have to press Home button 2-3 times slowly (to avoid showing the multitasking bar) and it sucks. Is there an easier gesture somehow or a shortcut without Jailbreaking?

reduce your number of apps (or put in folders) so that all you have are on the first page. Then you are never more then 1 swipe away, or worst case one home button press and 1 swipe :D

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only other way I know of getting to the spotlight screen/page is once you are on you main home screen/page you can swipe right (to go left essentially) to get there (instead of pressing the home button once more time to do the same thing essentially).

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Just like the above post, just swipe left to right from the first page of your home screen.

Also, if you look at your home screen, right above the dock and just below the bottom layer of apps, you can see the spotlight search icon and dots indicating the number of pages and which page you are on. You can just tap on that icon and it will bring you right to it. (works the same way for tapping on the page dot for whatever page of apps you want).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just like the above post, just swipe left to right from the first page of your home screen.

Also, if you look at your home screen, right above the dock and just below the bottom layer of apps, you can see the spotlight search icon and dots indicating the number of pages and which page you are on. You can just tap on that icon and it will bring you right to it. (works the same way for tapping on the page dot for whatever page of apps you want).
Almost forgot about that...however, I think it only works going to the next or previous page (if you touch to the right or left of that area basically)--I don't think you can skip directly to a particular page or spotlight just by touching the corresponding dot/magnifying glass.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Some external iPad keyboards have a dedicated spotlight button which brings you right to the page. That's the only shortcut to my knowledge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.