Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:31 PM   #176
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
Apple cut their iPhone orders for next quarter though, which is one reason the stock was down 20 points today (that, and the dud launch in China). You'd have to assume that means sales are below their expectations. People are buying them, just not in the numbers they wanted.
Like people have said...Apple is the most manipulated stock on hearsay. I wish people would have to confirm their sources or face massive fines for false information. That would stop nonsense like this.

Also, even if they did you can take it the other direction...maybe they cut orders because the 5S is coming and they are starting the 6 month cycle of tick and tock...# release and S release every 6 months.
Ryth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:32 PM   #177
Doc750
macrumors 6502a

Wow heavily discounted iPhone at Walmart just several moths after release.

Times are not looking good for apple.
Doc750 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:40 PM   #178
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc750 View Post

Or Walmart is selling them at cost to their customers to bring people into the store. Remember, when people buy a new model of phone, they usually buy the accessories with it...that $$$ would go to Walmart instead of Best Buy.

Why don't we get the real facts here before saying Apple is doomed.

Last edited by Ryth; Dec 14, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Ryth is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:58 PM   #179
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

ATT price match?

Will ATT price match?
shanmugam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:04 PM   #180
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

iPad 3 for $399 is a good deal!
jamesryanbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:17 PM   #181
burnout8488
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesryanbell View Post
iPad 3 for $399 is a good deal!
Neh, kind of a normal price for a last gen device. A 4th gen for $399 would be classified as a good deal.
burnout8488 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:25 PM   #182
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
these are pretty good deals
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:29 PM   #183
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Or Walmart is selling them at cost to their customers to bring people into the store. Remember, when people buy a new model of phone, they usually buy the accessories with it...that $$$ would go to Walmart instead of Best Buy.

Why don't we get the real facts here before saying Apple is doomed.
easy there tiger, no one is saying apple is doomed, people are just saying what a joke the upmarket profile for apple is when their phones, sorry apple doesn't do phones, it does phone... when their phone sells for bargain basement prices at walmart.

Some people get ripped off in glass buildings with birch furniture to buy in the apple status/hipster myth with a new phone that's currently owned by pimps, prostitutes and crack dealers. One has to be blind to not see the irony in that.

And that's what people have been pointing out.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:42 PM   #184
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
easy there tiger, no one is saying apple is doomed, people are just saying what a joke the upmarket profile for apple is when their phones, sorry apple doesn't do phones, it does phone... when their phone sells for bargain basement prices at walmart.

Some people get ripped off in glass buildings with birch furniture to buy in the apple status/hipster myth with a new phone that's currently owned by pimps, prostitutes and crack dealers. One has to be blind to not see the irony in that.

And that's what people have been pointing out.
Pimps, hos and crack dealers aren't going to be buying phones on contract...which you have to do with the iPhone 5.
Ryth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:43 PM   #185
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

Will best buy match walmart's prices?
mackandproud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:57 PM   #186
Newton70
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
Apple cut their iPhone orders for next quarter though, which is one reason the stock was down 20 points today (that, and the dud launch in China). You'd have to assume that means sales are below their expectations. People are buying them, just not in the numbers they wanted.
I'm amazed of the size of that gaping black hole you are pulling this information from. Apple has NOT cut orders for iPhones.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2 View Post
This is a really bad sign for Apple's finances.

iPhone 5 sales well below expectations: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-2012-12

And now heavily discounted brand-new iPads.

First signs that Apple won't be able to keep up their fantastic margins any longer without losing market share. Samsung's margin is a bit more than half of Apple's but they make up for it by selling twice as many devices.

It will be a full-on and bloody Apple vs Samsung war of the giants next year, with everyone else being trampled into insignificance.
You're better off relying on the National Enquirer or TMZ for your financial news. Seriously, Business Insider?! People will believe anything posted on the Internet.
Newton70 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:09 PM   #187
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post
It us the oldest trick in the bag... Advertize a discount on a desirable product.. Lure thousends in ... And have maybe 5 units for sale at that price.
It is called generating traffic ...

I would like to see one post from a person who actually bought an iphone 5 at that price!
I bought 2 at that price tonight .

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzdogg View Post
Is the sale on just the i phone or is the iPad 3 4th generation vs Ipad 3 3rd generation also on sale for 399.99 with 30 dollar i tune card

anyone know return policy of microcenter bought hubby ipad 3rd generation last sat for first night of our holiday, he has used it 2x but would perfer the 4th generation just could not justify 100 dollars more......holiday and birthday for grandchildren toiok priority
didn't even think to check ,since I was only interested in the iP5. I guess I have Tunnel Vision.
mushroomtip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:15 PM   #188
BeardedOrc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
There's this thing in the US (not sure about the rest of the world), called the Holiday Season, where retailers offer huge discounts on popular products to build traffic in their stores. This is Business 101. If you can lure someone into your store for a specific product, chances are they may buy other stuff as well.

"Buy One, Get One Free" is usually a good sign of clearing out stock.
That's a pretty hefty chunk of a discount for a loss leader especially from an Apple product. iPad 3, I get it as its the older model. But i5 is the latest iteration and its supposedly selling that briskly, even a $25 discount would suffice if you were planning to buy it anyway. Heck, even just letting people know that you are selling it would have been enough to reel people in if you read and believe some commenters here. Imagine how much more the customer has to buy other stuff to recoup the money given away in the iPhone. I guess Apple don't have a say on this because I would think that they would want to protect their brand image as "high end products". Personally, I think Apple is losing its shininess and not moving product as they used to.

As for me, I'm an ARTIST and don't enter such dingy places..
BeardedOrc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:44 PM   #189
blitzkreig
macrumors newbie

Holy smokes. At $127 even an American comes close to being able to afford one ...
blitzkreig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:50 PM   #190
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

if you can luck up and get those ipad3s on 5.1.1 you can jailbreak them and be very very happy
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:19 AM   #191
GeeeWhiz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
Will best buy match walmart's prices?
Best buy is offering $50 off good through Saturday. This is for all models of iphone. The Verizon store would not match either Best Buy or WallMart.

David
GeeeWhiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:01 AM   #192
wesk702
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
You would make a 2 hour round drive to save $90? Fuel and would almost cost you that!
Lol, wtf are you driving?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
Holy smokes. At $127 even an American comes close to being able to afford one ...
A racist German...now I've seen everything.
Good day to you, blitzkrieg.
wesk702 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:21 AM   #193
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc750 View Post

I'd say you're right. Soft sales are always the reason discounts are offered. Given Apple's extremely close ties with the nations largest retailer, it's a good way to move product without implicating Apple as weak. Obviously at this price point, people will overlook iPhone 5's annoyances.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:30 AM   #194
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynch88 View Post
When macrumors posted this article - before it got updated. I went into a Best Buy and showed them the 399 price and they gave it to me. Can't believe that Walmart announced they were wrong. Wonder how many people did the same thing as me.
I wish I would have done that. It's probably too late now, alas.
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:55 AM   #195
Ubba23
macrumors newbie

I work at Sam's Club and they have the same deal! $127 iPhone 5 16gb sold a **** load today at that price!
Ubba23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:19 AM   #196
burnout8488
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynch88 View Post
When macrumors posted this article - before it got updated. I went into a Best Buy and showed them the 399 price and they gave it to me. Can't believe that Walmart announced they were wrong. Wonder how many people did the same thing as me.
I can't imagine Best Buy would do this without seeing an actual Wal-Mart advertisement showing the $399 price, not a news story on a third party site. If they did, it had to be an uninformed associate. Wouldn't a manager have to approve such price changes?

Have a pic of your receipt?
burnout8488 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:33 AM   #197
maximumsportz
macrumors member

It's probably because they have a boat load of 16gb models around than 32gb (The more popular size)
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:35 AM   #198
GregAndonian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
Apple stock even at $500 is worth more than Google/Microsoft combined.
Have you looked at Google's stock lately? It's up at 700 right now!

-Steve Jobs
GregAndonian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:51 AM   #199
RVijay007
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndonian View Post
Have you looked at Google's stock lately? It's up at 700 right now!
I think he was referring to the market cap of those companies, not just the stock price. AAPL is worth $479.56B at the moment, with GOOG at $230.66B and MSFT at $225.65B (combined - $456.31B). However, these numbers are at AAPL @ ~$509/share; @ $500 / share, AAPL market cap would be $470.35, which is still more than those two combined at current share prices. OP comment was correct to this extent, but would need to check EV (which I believe AAPL would still win since they have little debt compared to cash as these two other companies).
RVijay007 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:53 AM   #200
neroroxxx
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
Are there that many people who are eligible for an upgrade that have been putting it off because $199 is too much money but $127 will make them buy it? I would certainly like to save the cash, but I'm not eligible until May. Maybe this will attract new iPhone purchasers, but I can't imagine there being lots of people who are sitting on a previous iPhone and not upgrading because of the price of the phone.
My girlfriend is due for an upgrade but with christmas she is waiting until january to get hers, i was actually waiting for the same but she bough mine in november for my birthday since i had an upgrade since before it was announced, im sure many others are in the same shoes, now with all these discounts its worth doing the upgrade specially for a 32gb, i think well go for best buys offer since we are reward zone members and we could get $100 off
neroroxxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion