Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If you are buying Apple, ZERO worries. They come with a new battery and new outer shell and they go thru extensive testing before they are sold and you get a 1 year warranty from Apple.

I bought an iPad 2 from Apple and you could not tell it was used. :)

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Exact opposite actually. I would advise TO buy refurbished if possible. The refurbs go through more quality control than new ones. My previous iPad, the iPad 2, was refurbished and there was not a single problem with it, physically or functionally.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
so wait, I had the impression that the difference between new and refurbished was that the insides (the computing parts) didn't function right and were replaced, but if they were replaced and the shell and battery was replaced, wouldn't it be an entirely new iPad? What exactly is the difference?

pukrnukr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
Roc
What exactly is the difference?

It comes in a all white box that says refurbished iPad and is most likely running iOS 5.1.1.

I have read of some people getting iPads without the back being replaced, it was scratched on arrival but they also said they called apple about it and they sent them another one. I'm sure some of the refurbished iPads are ones people returned/exchanged for a new one with applecare plus after dropping it and breaking the glass too. I bought a iPad 3 32GB refurbished a month or so ago, it looks new and have no problems with it. You can also buy applecare plus on the refurbished iPads too if you buy the iPad from apple. I would also recommend it as long as your getting it from apple. I'm pretty sure if you buy refurbished from someone else you don't always get the 1 year warranty. The refurbished 32GB iPad 3 cost me as much as a iPad 4 16GB. I really would have liked the newest iPad but it's nice that you can jailbreak the iPad 3 if you don't upgrade it to iOS 6 and I got twice the storage for the money. In a couple years when I upgrade my main computer I will go refurbished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.