Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Of course, the problem is that, on crowded threads in particular, viewers often read by avatar

I have posted with avatars and without avatars and, in my opinion, it doesn't affect the number of responses you get.

I only have my current avatar for the werewolf games that are played in the community forums :D.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I dunno, there are plenty of people in the political forum who post without an avatar, and yet their views are well-known. I posted for about two years before I put up an avatar, never hurt me.

Same here; when I reached the magic figure which allowed me to post an avatar I was working and living abroad, and it didn't really bother me. It was months after my return that - actually, it was on account of the WW games - a full two years after I was allowed to have one that I finally decided to do so.

I have noticed that many people who have a post count of over 500 don't bother uploading an avatar anyway - So it probably wouldn't make a whole heap of difference.

It doesn't, actually. Initially, I thought that it would, and then found that it didn't.

An avatar is kind of like a reward for being a committed community member - rather than just handing them out to anybody.

Yes, that sums it up nicely.

I suspected that this was also a possibility.

Of course, the problem is that, on crowded threads in particular, viewers often read by avatar: eyes skimming down the thread selecting to read only the post which are accompanied by some visual cue (the rest merging into faceless indistinguishable opinions). There is nothing wrong with this approach per se, but it is an essentially unavoidable consequence.

Oddly enough, not really; once you get into reading posts you get a fair idea of who is who. The challenge is when you hardly visit for a few months (as happened to me when I was working and living abroad) and when you return, you have to acquaint yourself with several new names.

I am not a big fan of avatars. I am thankful that at least MR does not allow pictures in signatures. Some forums look ridiculous because all of the animated avatars and big signature pictures. Awful awful stuff. My views are probably skewed because I am over 33 and having a pretty picture on the side of my posts is not a priority in my life.

I'm over 33, too, and yes, I agree with you.

Agreed. I like how MacRumors does it.

As do I. Simple and tasteful.

I would like to have an Avatar, but with 18 posts in three years, it's going to take awhile :)

Find areas that interest you and make a few comments there; I was looking forward to being allowed to join the PRSI forum, but found myself unable to take full advantage of the right to participate for a while. However, books, music and movies are nice interesting topics, and there are some lovely threads which deal with these topics, where one can have interesting discussions, meet like-minded individuals and make online friends, and actually a thing or two. Contributing also adds to one's post count.

My New Years resolution--to go for 500.

Good luck.

I have posted with avatars and without avatars and, in my opinion, it doesn't affect the number of responses you get.

I only have my current avatar for the werewolf games that are played in the community forums :D.

Yes, I'm in the same position; the WW games were the main reason I decided to upload one.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
So I just found out I have more than 500 posts to my name.

Nice! Avatar time.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I personally think there should be more rewards, like over 10000 and your posts are highlighted or something.

Stackoverflow does this kind of user levels really well.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Sorry, I may have misrepresented my point: I mean that reading the forum is, I think, more difficult (or at least it becomes less insightful).

Absolutely true... all non newbies (>30 posts) should have avatars. Please reconsider this position as it is very helpful when scanning threads.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.