Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:46 AM   #1
fel10
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA USA
Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
iPhone 5 making rattling noise.

New iPhone 5 makes a rattling noise when shaken, like there is something loose inside. I thought it was the on/off button at first but it isn't. I made a video showing the problem. Is this normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gseu4XYVuEU&sns=em
fel10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:49 AM   #2
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
It's your vibrator.
sillywabbit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:10 PM   #3
fel10
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA USA
Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
It's your vibrator.
Where is the vibrator located? Because the noise is coming from the camera area.
fel10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Jalopybox
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
If it feels substantial, it's the battery. They have a problem with the adhesive coming loose. Trip to Apple store will fix this.
Jalopybox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Zac7
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I also read that the camera was making a rattling noise on some iPhones...
Zac7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:53 PM   #6
eddyecb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
its the auto focus, rattles on every iPhone
eddyecb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Duff-Man02
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Yep, it's the auto-focus. All iPhones with auto-focus have the rattle.
Duff-Man02 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:33 PM   #8
fel10
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA USA
Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
Well, went to the Apple Store, talk to one of the geniuses, and he said that the sound was normal, and that it comes from one of the lenses from the camera. So I just kept my phone.

I just wonder how come my old iPhone didn't make that sound? I can even hear it when I put my phone down. I think I'm going to try it again next week or after Christmas. I do have 30 days after all.
__________________
15' Macbook Pro Retina , 2.2 GHz, Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD
iPhone 5 64GB
Space Gray iPad Air, 64 GB, Wi Fi
TVs
fel10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:38 PM   #9
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000
 
MattMJB0188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
NOT ALL iPHONE 5'S DO THIS!!! I bet the OP can put the phone to his ear and hear the sound without shaking it. Obviously they didn't tighten all the pieces in the camera or something. My launch day iPhone 5 did this.

The phone will work fine, but its very annoying that you can hear it rattle all the time. A normal iPhone 5 will only rattle when you TAP ON THE LENS.
MattMJB0188 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:39 PM   #10
fel10
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA USA
Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
NOT ALL iPHONE 5'S DO THIS!!! I bet the OP can put the phone to his ear and hear the sound without shaking it. Obviously they didn't tighten all the pieces in the camera or something. My launch day iPhone 5 did this.

The phone will work fine, but its very annoying that you can hear it rattle all the time. A normal iPhone 5 will only rattle when you TAP ON THE LENS.
Actually it only rattles when I shake the phone, tap on the lens, or but the phone down. Still annoying though.
__________________
15' Macbook Pro Retina , 2.2 GHz, Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD
iPhone 5 64GB
Space Gray iPad Air, 64 GB, Wi Fi
TVs
fel10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:43 PM   #11
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000
 
MattMJB0188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fel10 View Post
Actually it only rattles when I shake the phone, tap on the lens, or but the phone down. Still annoying though.
If you put the phone to your ear, like when your on a call you should hear it SLIGHTLY moving.

I can tell you right now that the majority of iPhone 5s DO NOT DO THIS. Its just one of those things were some people (the NON OCD I like to call them haha) will not notice.

Its just like the iPhone 4S and 5 having loose/rattling sleep wake buttons. [I]Most[I] people pass it off as "normal".

Every iPhone 5 camera will rattle when you tap on the lens. If you shake it, it shouldn't be as loud as yours is. I'd return it and re buy it since they won't give you another one.
MattMJB0188 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:44 PM   #12
fel10
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA USA
Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
If you put the phone to your ear, like when your on a call you should hear it SLIGHTLY moving.

I can tell you right now that the majority of iPhone 5s DO NOT DO THIS. Its just one of those things were some people (the NON OCD I like to call them haha) will not notice.

Its just like the iPhone 4S and 5 having loose/rattling sleep wake buttons. [I]Most[I] people pass it off as "normal".

Every iPhone 5 camera will rattle when you tap on the lens. If you shake it, it shouldn't be as loud as yours is. I'd return it and re buy it since they won't give you another one.
Yeah, I think I will be doing that. Just to be sure, I have 30 days to return it right? And do I just show up and return it or do I have to make an appointment to return stuff?
__________________
15' Macbook Pro Retina , 2.2 GHz, Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD
iPhone 5 64GB
Space Gray iPad Air, 64 GB, Wi Fi
TVs
fel10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:47 PM   #13
mgb1120
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Yes your return by date is on the reciept, just show up
mgb1120 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:07 PM   #14
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000
 
MattMJB0188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fel10 View Post
Yeah, I think I will be doing that. Just to be sure, I have 30 days to return it right? And do I just show up and return it or do I have to make an appointment to return stuff?
Depends on where you bought it? If you bought it from Apple as an upgrade then you have 14 days. IF you bought it outright ($649, 749, 849) then you have 30 days.

If you bought it from AT&T you have 14 days plus a $35 restocking fee.
MattMJB0188 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:14 PM   #15
mgb1120
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Depends on where you bought it? If you bought it from Apple as an upgrade then you have 14 days. IF you bought it outright ($649, 749, 849) then you have 30 days.

If you bought it from AT&T you have 14 days plus a $35 restocking fee.
30 days apple store, not 14, 14 days is for your contract
mgb1120 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:24 PM   #16
LoloBond
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb1120 View Post
30 days apple store, not 14, 14 days is for your contract
They need to be able to reset your contract to exchange the phone for a close box one, so after 14 day all you can do is return your phone for a full refund and you will lose your upgrade and be locked in a contract.
LoloBond is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:28 PM   #17
mgb1120
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloBond View Post
They need to be able to reset your contract to exchange the phone for a close box one, so after 14 day all you can do is return your phone for a full refund and you will lose your upgrade and be locked in a contract.
.

If you do a full return yes, your screwing yourself at that point, either way after 14 days your stuck, or you can do and exchange within that 30 day period.
mgb1120 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:31 PM   #18
fel10
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA USA
Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
I got it at the Apple store on the 10th when I was eligible to upgrade. So if I want to return it and get my money back, do I have only 14 days to do it?
__________________
15' Macbook Pro Retina , 2.2 GHz, Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD
iPhone 5 64GB
Space Gray iPad Air, 64 GB, Wi Fi
TVs
fel10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:20 PM   #19
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000
 
MattMJB0188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
This excessive camera rattle is annoying, but it really doesn't affect performance or anything does it?

I'd hate for the OP to get a phone with a worse issue.
MattMJB0188 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:22 PM   #20
LoloBond
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb1120 View Post
.

If you do a full return yes, your screwing yourself at that point, either way after 14 days your stuck, or you can do and exchange within that 30 day period.
you can't exchange after 14 days.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fel10 View Post
I got it at the Apple store on the 10th when I was eligible to upgrade. So if I want to return it and get my money back, do I have only 14 days to do it?
yes 14 days.
LoloBond is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:44 PM   #21
fel10
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA USA
Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
This excessive camera rattle is annoying, but it really doesn't affect performance or anything does it?

I'd hate for the OP to get a phone with a worse issue.
No, it doesn't. Besides that issue, my phone works great. Super fast.

And I thought about that. I would hate to end up with a phone with a worse issue.
__________________
15' Macbook Pro Retina , 2.2 GHz, Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD
iPhone 5 64GB
Space Gray iPad Air, 64 GB, Wi Fi
TVs
fel10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:59 PM   #22
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000
 
MattMJB0188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fel10 View Post
No, it doesn't. Besides that issue, my phone works great. Super fast.

And I thought about that. I would hate to end up with a phone with a worse issue.
Hmmmmm. Maybe go back to the store and ask for another employee's opinion. Compare your phone to a store phone and see what they say?

If they do agree to exchange it, I'd thoroughly examine the replacement before you leave.
MattMJB0188 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:13 PM   #23
kockgunner
macrumors 68000
 
kockgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
All my iPhones from the 3GS to the 5 has had this. It is likely the camera because the noise lessens slightly when the camera is activated. However I believe it can be considered defective if it is really bad. Mine sounds like there's pebbles or gravel inside. When I use Siri, the confirmation beep makes the whole phone shake. It makes the phone sound really cheap.
kockgunner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:10 PM   #24
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I'd like to know if the op gets a new phone and if it still rattles.
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:35 PM   #25
iPh0neTy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fel10 View Post
Where is the vibrator located? Because the noise is coming from the camera area.
The vibrator is located in the top left corner, the opposing side of your sleep/wake button.

They all rattle when they are tapped, even the 4S and 4 does it.
iPh0neTy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
27 inch iMac late 2012 making rattling noise! aplmcintosh iMac 3 Jan 21, 2014 05:10 AM
iPhone 5S rattling noise dmercer iPhone 8 Oct 2, 2013 05:42 PM
iPhone 5S Rattling Noise? AdamCohen13 iPhone 5 Sep 27, 2013 01:13 PM
iPhone 5 Makes A Rattling Noise .::Craig::. iPhone 49 Jul 4, 2013 06:51 PM
iPhone 5 rattling noise [MERGED] smiddlehurst iPhone 235 Nov 9, 2012 11:50 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC