Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nkcd

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
ATL, GA
Does the iPhone has to run the latest iOS? Reason being is that I don't want to upgrade to the latest iOS since I'll be loosing my untethered JB.

YellowNimbus

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Georgia, USA
Does the iPhone has to run the latest iOS? Reason being is that I don't want to upgrade to the latest iOS since I'll be loosing my untethered JB.

Just looked into this. The iPhone does not have to run the latest iOS in order to be factory unlocked. Once the IMEI is processed and you connect to iTunes to complete the unlocking process, you may be prompted to upgrade to the latest iOS, but you can always decline as usual.

[edit: my apologies, labman's suggestion will address the sim issue. Forgot that a lot of JB are also carrier unlocked via the JB - that will have some bearing on the sim and the way the JB iPhone communicates with iTunes]

Last edited:

P!kN!mO

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
Does anyone here have tried IMEI unlock their iPhone 5 Softbank Japan or could someone tell me if its possible to unlock it with Unlock Fusion?

jonslider

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
> How long did it take for you to get it unlocked?

less than 24 hours
my previous IMEI unlock, different iPhone, I used cutyoursim. It took 3 days, and cost $35.

Unlock Fusion is a better deal.

smashermarques

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Hi guys,

do any of you guys know of any service of this kind that unlock iPhone 4 locked to Portuguese network Vodafone?

Regards

CAPkuang

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Planning to use unlockfusion for my iphone 4 locked to AT&T. My question is that I am currently using the SAM unlock and I am wondering would that affect the IMEI unlocking process. (I just want IOS 6)

Larissa1

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Does anyone why know the cost of unlocking varies so much? Due to my recent success in jailbreaking my 3GS a friend asked if I could unlock hers for her.

Its locked to Vodafone UK, (she has a pay as you go SIM), and didn't take long to find that its cheaper to go into one of their shops and pay £19.99 over the counter and do it there and then. On-line unlockers are asking $75 or more do to it.

It's still quite pricey when compared to few dollars for US or Australian carriers for example. Why does some cost much more than others?

Oh does anyone know of a cheaper than £19.99 to unlock Vodafone UK?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Does anyone why know the cost of unlocking varies so much? Due to my recent success in jailbreaking my 3GS a friend asked if I could unlock hers for her.

Its locked to Vodafone UK, (she has a pay as you go SIM), and didn't take long to find that its cheaper to go into one of their shops and pay £19.99 over the counter and do it there and then. On-line unlockers are asking $75 or more do to it.

It's still quite pricey when compared to few dollars for US or Australian carriers for example. Why does some cost much more than others?

Oh does anyone know of a cheaper than £19.99 to unlock Vodafone UK?

Supply and demand determines cost.

For example - IMEI unlocks for AT&T iPhones started at $200, there are hundreds of vendors doing the unlocks now, price is down to $5 or lower.

For other carriers, if there are fewer vendors, the price is higher.

gd6

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone had a legit source to unlock an iphone 4s locked to Movil Mexico.

I saw iphoneunlock.co.uk offered a service for $32USD but it says its only a pre-order and I remember someone saying bad things about them at some point.

Thanks for any tips!

gd6

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
I searched Google sites the other day for America Movil Mexico, but I couldn't find anything. I just referred a guy to the Gevey 4S, which is the cheapest way to unlock it at the moment:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...0708&_from=R40&_nkw=gevey+4s+6.0&LH_PrefLoc=1

Thanks for the reminder about the gevey sim, I wasn't aware that they were compatible with IOS 6 now.

Does anybody know if I pre-programmed a gevey sim to the right carrier, if it could get an iphone past the activation screen? The phone has been activated and registered before but someone restored it recently. I can't seem to find any America Movil sim cards.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
My assumption is the Gevey will activate as the auctions don't say anything about needing the original SIM card. If I recall, it just tricks the iPhone into thinking you have an original SIM inside once you get to the activation step on the iPhone.

Sandbar

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Please forgive my newbiness, but what does having your IMEI unlocked do for you?
What is the advantage of it?

gd6

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
Please forgive my newbiness, but what does having your IMEI unlocked do for you?
What is the advantage of it?

Its just so you can use your sim card (carrier) of choice. Say you have an ATT iPhone, you wouldn't be able to use a T-mobile sim card unless you paid a few bucks to have the IMEI unlocked.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I've used unlock_fusion for 10+ unlocks and all are still active to this day. Including an iPhone 5 bought on upgrade.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Is unlock_fusion pretty quick? I have a friend who is coming over this evening for me to help her unlock her phone (she apparently doesn't trust herself to go to eBay, buy an unlock, and sync her iPhone... go figure) and I'd rather not have her have to come back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.