Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
Congrats.

Yeah, it's all fun and games until the headset goes on.

Yep.

----------

It's part-time, yes, but reading this thread leads me to believe that sometimes they make you work up to 40 hours during busy times. Also, the 20 hours a week isn't flexible (e.g. you sit down when you're not busy and crank them out). They'll give you a schedule for say, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays between certain hours (5:00am-11:30pm CST) and if you have a class during those hours you're SOL. The hours you work are set by Apple and are good for 90 days, and then they rotate them.

Obviously I don't work there, but from what I can tell it's not for those who need flexible scheduling. My guess is during your interview you should bring up that you're a full-time on campus student at the beginning and see what they say.

If you need a school schedule, then you need to apply for At Home College position.

KLinPA

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
PA
Ok, so I guess that's something I haven't received yet - Wonder how long it takes to get that... And why I would get a call before receiving the questionairre? Strange... :)

That's what happened to me. I received a call and then I received the questionnaire. Then I had 2 interviews. I'm currently in training. So sometimes the process gets wonky.

Good Luck!

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
I'm in CPU and just based on the test calls alone this job is still quite a bit of tech support. I know iOS is a totally different ball park though.

iOS is maybe 10% tech support and 90% customer service. Unlike a Mac, there's only so much troubleshooting that you can do with an iOS device. It generally works or it doesn't work... period. I get a few interesting syncing and iCloud issues on occasion but most of my time is spent explaining Apple ID's, setting up repairs or calming people down because their kid charged too much stuff in iTunes... in short, it sucks.

macrobatt

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
iOS is maybe 10% tech support and 90% customer service. Unlike a Mac, there's only so much troubleshooting that you can do with an iOS device. It generally works or it doesn't work... period. I get a few interesting syncing and iCloud issues on occasion but most of my time is spent explaining Apple ID's, setting up repairs or calming people down because their kid charged too much stuff in iTunes... in short, it sucks.
Sounds like call center work period. Has its ups and downs.

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Sounds like call center work period. Has its ups and downs.

That's exactly what it is except that you're doing it from home. All of the team managers that I've seen are from call centers and don't necessarily have technology experience.

The upside is that it provides a paycheck and there's no commute. There are people that truly enjoy the job but I'm not one of them.

LivnLuvnit

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
received my 11 questions on 12/14/2012 I can't even explain how happy that made me feeel!! now that answered them and reply to the email ill be on here quiet often to learn more about how to prepare myself for the interview and i hope what i already know would help alittle

Last edited:

Pilot DC

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012

I'd go nuts.. as soon as you are able migrate to CPU, or something more interesting. We do everything from migration, to troubleshooting email, to the stupid Apple ID issues. I'd like to get to server.

----------

That's exactly what it is except that you're doing it from home. All of the team managers that I've seen are from call centers and don't necessarily have technology experience.

The upside is that it provides a paycheck and there's no commute. There are people that truly enjoy the job but I'm not one of them.

Same here, even CPU is call "centeresque", the young fanboys love it, me not so much. I need more money.

niknak1

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
I got employeed by Apple for their AHA position away! Hooray. I was advised by the person that called me telling me the good news that I could not have a VoIP telephone provider. My telephone provider is through my local cable company in Louisville, KY called Insight Communications. It works using an eMTA cable modem, so it's not exactly VoIP but not an old copper ma' bell line. Will this be an issue?

themayorr

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
I got employeed by Apple for their AHA position away! Hooray. I was advised by the person that called me telling me the good news that I could not have a VoIP telephone provider. My telephone provider is through my local cable company in Louisville, KY called Insight Communications. It works using an eMTA cable modem, so it's not exactly VoIP but not an old copper ma' bell line. Will this be an issue?

You are good to go

themayorr

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
You're totally sure a phone service using an eMTA modem works? Thanks!

I use AT&T and my phone line is connected to my modem and I was giving a power supply for the modem in case i loose power i will still be able to use to house phone for some hours

lantabiker

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
The drive is alive for the 12/3ers. We've had a taste of the phones with our mentors and still cramming more info into our brains with classes. Awaiting the upcoming second test at the end of the week. I know the test were really easy for some folks, a little tougher for us folks that can't process data that rapidly. But as previously stated, all info can be found in the knowledge base. Just take good notes in class.

For everyone else getting started, pay really close attention in class. Screen print, jot notes, copy/paste. Anything you gotta do to have an easy way to get back to the info you go over. That's what will help you pass the test.

Keep the faith future AHA folks. You're at a great company.

macrobatt

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
any one that recently got the 11 question email heard back yet. its been about a week for my self. I'm just hoping that I am not on the receiving end of the thanks for trying email.

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
I'd go nuts.. as soon as you are able migrate to CPU, or something more interesting. We do everything from migration, to troubleshooting email, to the stupid Apple ID issues. I'd like to get to server.

----------

Same here, even CPU is call "centeresque", the young fanboys love it, me not so much. I need more money.

I am not young nor am I a fanboy. Apple is my employer and I get a paycheck from them. I respect the fact that they have some cutting edge consumer devices but this is the worst "tech" job I've had since working for AOL in the late 80's. Bottom line, I don't have the right temperament for this job and it's not technically challenging in the least bit. It's a paycheck and after early Jan. when we go back to 20 hours it won't be much of one at that.

I'd have to stick it out another 3 months for a shot at getting into CPU and I just don't see that happening.

macrobatt

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
I am not young nor am I a fanboy. Apple is my employer and I get a paycheck from them. I respect the fact that they have some cutting edge consumer devices but this is the worst "tech" job I've had since working for AOL in the late 80's. Bottom line, I don't have the right temperament for this job and it's not technically challenging in the least bit. It's a paycheck and after early Jan. when we go back to 20 hours it won't be much of one at that.

I'd have to stick it out another 3 months for a shot at getting into CPU and I just don't see that happening.

I'd trade ya, I don't want to give too much away anonymity is key I'm working for a company now getting paid far less and treated like crap. working for apple just seems like a much better opportunity and has good growth potential.

apeonpatrol

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
I'd trade ya, I don't want to give too much away anonymity is key I'm working for a company now getting paid far less and treated like crap. working for apple just seems like a much better opportunity and has good growth potential.

Very much so. About 2 weeks into my CPU training and based on the mentoring I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

macrobatt

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
Very much so. About 2 weeks into my CPU training and based on the mentoring I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

Thats more so why I'm jazzed about the position. I'm sure the cool factor of working for apple go away over time. I just want a good entry level position so i can finish my degree online like i should have 10 years ago, and have the opportunity to move up and grow:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.