Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I mostly use Chrome on my iPhone. I like the ui and the options it offers.

I use Firefox on my Macbook, hate the Safari ui.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Use Safari on my 3GS. Chrome is ok, but it seems slower on my phone than Safari.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I use Safari on my rMBP and on iOS. I've tried many others for iOS and I'd have to say that Atomic is the best one besides Safari. Chrome is slow and buggy, Atomic loads pages much much faster and is a all around better experience. I use Chrome on OSX for when I need to use Flash which is become in increasingly rare. It's hardto beat the Safari experience IMO especially if you own more than one Apple device.

It's common knowledge. It has been discussed many times on these forums.

Please remind all of us what Apple products you currently own.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I use either Chrome or Safari on both my Mac and my iPhone. It just really annoys me that in Safari, they went to a unified search bar on the desktop client, but not on iOS. It's so.. inconsistent D:

That said, both seem nearly identical in terms of functionality and what they can do. It's just a different skin. Some people say Safari is faster, but I've not really noticed.

Now that I think about it, I probably use the Google Search app more than either one, just because it's rare that I'm doing any actual "browsing". I'm usually just looking up the odd fact while I'm out and about and not in need of a full on browser.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I have tried a couple different browsers for my 4S and haven't been that impressed. The latest one was Chrome. How does anybody use that? It's buggy and lags when scrolling. I don't see any speed increases either, but lots of people swear by it.
It works for me -- that's why.

You can't just assume that your experiences are indicative of some universal trend. On the other hand, you do have to rely on your experiences to select whatever works for you. This is a perfect example of why you need to consider your specific needs/wants/priorities/situation/etc when considering options rather than just relying on feedback and polling from random people who may not have needs/wants/priorities/situation/etc in line with your own.

If you want to discuss then you should probably include the sites your frequenting as that can obviously have a significant impact on your experience with any browser.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Lol no it hasn't. But if so, should be easy to provide a source....

I can't find a source ATM as I'm on my phone but...

It's common knowledge... In some circles. The Nitro JavaScript engine is only allowed to run in Safari, not third party apps. This may be because the engine uses JIT to compile on the fly code, meaning a faster response time. I believe on the fly is restricted in third party apps, hence no Nitro.

There's a jailbreak app to enable Nitro on apps that use the standard UIWebView (what every third party iOS browser is using). I ran some tests in Sunspider, a benchmarking app that tests JS only, no DOM or CSS, and I saw a 3-4x performance gain. Obviously that figure would come down slightly when you factor in DOM, etc, but its still noticeably faster.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Do we really need to play this game? Because I own more Apple products than you do. And the above posters support what I wrote.

I'm not debating that browsers other than Safari can't use the nitro. I'm asking you to list you Apple products that you currently own. I think as much bashing that you give here its a justifiable question. So, if you really think you own more apple products than I do. List them.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
I like chrome even though its slower. But the one thing that keeps me from going to Chrome fully is the READER function that Safari has. Is there anything like that for chrome?

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland

Thanks.
I fear many users are grossly uneducated in how much Apple deliberately neuters the competition. That said, I don't mind Safari THAT much, but if I had a choice, I would love to be able to change my default browser to Mercury/Chrome/Apollo.

JellyBean lets you constantly change your default browser as you see fit. And where is this option in iOS? Either you have to copy the link, or you suck it up, and use the forced-hand of Safari.

But yes, I actually have three alternative browsers installed :p

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I'm not debating that browsers other than Safari can't use the nitro. I'm asking you to list you Apple products that you currently own. I think as much bashing that you give here its a justifiable question. So, if you really think you own more apple products than I do. List them.

And me listing my Apple products will prove what exactly?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
If you don't own any Apple products anymore. That's fine. Just say so. For as much hatred that you seem to have for all things Apple I think more than just myself would like to know what experience you're basing this off of.

If you must know, I currently own:
iPod Nano 1st Gen
iPod Touch 4th Gen x2
iPhone 4
iPhone 5
iPad 3rd Gen
Apple TV

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
If you must know, I currently own:
iPod Nano 1st Gen
iPod Touch 4th Gen x2
iPhone 4
iPhone 5
iPad 3rd Gen
Apple TV

iPad 1
iPad 3
iPad mini
Apple TV
MBP
rMBP
iPhone 4sx2
iPhone 5

With that many products that work so well together I just don't get your attitude. I can't remember if I've ever seen a post from you that doesn't have a negative feel to it about apple. Yet here you are, spending money on items that from your post here, you seem to dislike with a passion.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
iPad 1
iPad 3
iPad mini
Apple TV
MBP
rMBP
iPhone 4sx2
iPhone 5

With that many products that work so well together I just don't get your attitude. I can't remember if I've ever seen a post from you that doesn't have a negative feel to it about apple. Yet here you are, spending money on items that from your post here, you seem to dislike with a passion.

Correction: I'm not spending any new money on Apple things. I'm spending money on Android stuff these days. The Apple stuff is collecting dust.

The small screen of the iPhone and the poor usability in iOS for common tasks really pissed me off after waiting all these years for improvement. That coupled with all the bully lawsuits by Apple have made me come to despise Apple.

Last edited:

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Correction: I'm not spending any new money on Apple things. I'm spending money on Android stuff these days. The Apple stuff is collecting dust.

So what's your purpose for posting in these forums. Seems your time would be much better utilized on XDA or AndroidCentral and such. Is it just to let everyone know about how much you dislike Apple and that somehow by doing that you feel justified? It can't possibly to be that you'd like to help anyone here, your posts prove that.

All those Apple products collecting dust yet your still in the main Forums bashing them every chance you can and flaunting Android as if anyone here cared, there's a section for that. It seems that trolling these forums providing absolutely zero content that's relevant on any level to those that want accurate information and not just a option spewed by hatred. To me, it would seem to either leave MR all together or stay in the other section as that is your main focus now and let those of us actively using Apple devices the feedback. There's plenty of us here able to provide the good and bad points to the different situations that users will encounter without the extreme bias that your posts carry.

Edit on your edit: I can't see why anyone would switch to another company based on lawsuits. They all do it. Samsung,HTC,Google. Everyone does it. You can't be upset at a company that's playing by the rules written. You can be upset on how the rules are written. I too would like a end to the lawsuits but until we get a revamped set of rules I don't see it.

Last edited:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
So what's your purpose for posting in these forums. Seems your time would be much better utilized on XDA or AndroidCentral and such. Is it just to let everyone know about how much you dislike Apple and that somehow by doing that you feel justified? It can't possibly to be that you'd like to help anyone here, your posts prove that.

All those Apple products collecting dust yet your still in the main Forums bashing them every chance you can and flaunting Android as if anyone here cared, there's a section for that. It seems that trolling these forums providing absolutely zero content that's relevant on any level to those that want accurate information and not just a option spewed by hatred. To me, it would seem to either leave MR all together or stay in the other section as that is your main focus now and let those of us actively using Apple devices the feedback. There's plenty of us here able to provide the good and bad points to the different situations that users will encounter without the extreme bias that your posts carry.

Oh I do go to xda and Android Central. And I'm in the iOS forums providing correct information for the misinformation posted like in this thread where some didn't even know that Apple is the one making 3rd party browsers artificially slow. I have extensive knowledge of iOS and iDevices as well as all the shenanigans and bully lawsuits being carried out by Apple. People should know the truth of what Apple stuff and behavior is really like. Do you really want all the converts to leave and let this place turn into AppleInsider? Believe me, AppleInsider has worst Apple propaganda than what is usually posted here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.