Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
My current phone is an iPhone 4... and jailbroken on 5.0.1... but there are so many things I just can't live without on it, if I got an iPhone 5 it'd be a huge downgrade.

No f.lux
No Zephyr
No double row of icons in multitask tray (Switchy)
No ability to remove launchdaemons and save battery life/ram/cpu cycles
No iCleaner to remove several gb of junk languages, keyboards, non-retina icons
No capability to hide News Stand

And these are just very basic tweaks... some people lose out on a lot more...

Also all of the useful withheld features are unlockable using tweaks - Facetime over 3G for example

My only choice is to stick with my iPhone 4... wait for Apple to introduce much needed features on stock iOS, or just get an Android phone in the future :rolleyes:

Or, in a dream world where Apple allows installation of unsigned code but has to be toggled by the user with various warnings etc (like Android let's you do in settings)

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I've never not had a jailbroken iPhone until now with my 5 and while the screen is great being larger the loss of the jailbreak makes me wish I would have gone with something else. I guess I just expected they'd jailbreak it by now like they have in the past but this one seems like the major players have no interest in jailbreaking anymore. :(

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
My only choice is to stick with my iPhone 4... wait for Apple to introduce much needed features on stock iOS, or just get an Android phone in the future :rolleyes:

Or, in a dream world where Apple allows installation of unsigned code but has to be toggled by the user with various warnings etc (like Android let's you do in settings)

I'm pretty sure they won't do it - they don't mean their phones to power users ("geeks"), mostly to non-techies, women (this isn't a sexist comment) and the like without any extra wishes like the ability to set the screen color temperature.

I recommend the Android way. I'm too considering switching to Android if the next-gen iDevices won't be jailbreakable. I too need tools like f.lux, Screen Recorder, Skype Recorder, Springtomizer, (on the iPad) Quasar, XBMC, RushPlayer+ and the like.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Essencially I have the same opinion as you do. I really cannot live without the phone being jailbroken, so I'm waiting for the jailbreak to come before buying an iPhone 5, I'm also running an iPhone 4 which lags a bit nowadays

If it doesn't happen in the next year, then definitely I have to go with Android.

How could I live without:

IntelliscreenX
Pull to Dismiss
Clear button in the notification center
quicksettings,
etc, etc.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I think some of you have short memory
8-10 weeks is about the quickest jailbreak for this newest equipment.
And I suspect they may wait for 6.1 release.

While I also miss jailbreak on iPhone 5, that by no means precludes my using it just slightly "dumbed down"

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
The screen is the BIGGEST teaser. I upgraded, and since then have played with my brother's iPhone 4 that I jailbroke for him, and definitely notice how tiny the screen is.

That said, I really also missed the jailbreak ... if I could do it all over, next time, I might just wait until there is a jailbreak for the newest iOS device before buying it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Any point buying iPhone without jailbreak?
Subjective. It's not a one-size-fits-all matter as, obviously, everyone doesn't jailbreak in the first place. If you don't see a point there is no point. If you do, there is. Your OP seems to answer your own question for you.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I think some of you have short memory
8-10 weeks is about the quickest jailbreak for this newest equipment.
And I suspect they may wait for 6.1 release.

While I also miss jailbreak on iPhone 5, that by no means precludes my using it just slightly "dumbed down"
Yeah but I don't see any mention of the major players even working on the jailbreak. Basically it's been quite

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Never went for the iPhone 5. My iPhone 4S spent half its life with no jb available and the 5 looks to be even worse.

I just got sick of having apps that I paid for that were useless because there was no jb. Or my other choice was to not update iOSwhich meant other drawbacks.

I finally gave up and just got a Nexus 4. There were rooting tutorials available before the first batch of Nexus 4s even shipped. And for just about all the things I used to jailbreak for, you don't even need to root. Right out of the box it did WiFi tethering (bye bye MyWi). Right out of the box I had access to the file system when plugged into a PC or mac--not just camera roll. It was a breath of fresh air.

Michael

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I bought the iPhone 5 at launch just because I wanted to take a break from jailbreaking for a while. I get a little crazy on theme modding... and I can work on it for hours. I miss gesturing with Zephyr, and at times... I swipe my dock icons thinking I still have infinidock. But those features doesn't make make me hate the iPhone 5. If and when the jailbreak comes out... I'll jailbreak it... install tweaks and utilities... then theme mod again. I'm not bored of my iPhone yet... but by the time the jailbreak comes out... I'll feel like I have new iPhone again.:)

However... I sure could use iBlacklist right now. I hate not being able to block calls... and spam messages. I refuse to pay for AT&T's blocking service.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.